JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 11-05-2010 , 03:46 PM #16
Mandolin

Default Lovely dresses

You have such a lovely knack with ribbons and bows - I can't believe it's your first garment with all the other lovely stuff you've made. Thanks for all the great ideas!
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-05-2010 , 05:37 PM #17
unapam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin
You have such a lovely knack with ribbons and bows - I can't believe it's your first garment with all the other lovely stuff you've made. Thanks for all the great ideas!
Thanks so much for all the kind comments. I am just branching out to garments now. No harder than small items and I am awash with cushion covers!
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-05-2010 , 02:20 PM #18
Gormal

Well I have to say I watched the YouTube vid and wasn't all that impressed, however unapam your creations were very inspiring and way nicer than the demo..... :O)
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-05-2010 , 08:32 PM #19
MisseM

Default dresses

OMG, soo georgous. well done! i wish i could make one myself..
MisseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-05-2010 , 08:49 PM #20
elbo

Unapam, the dress is just gorgeous. You are so gifted.
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-05-2010 , 08:53 PM #21
unapam

Default Duvet Cover to Woman's Dress Photos Added

Thanks for the suggestion of using a duvet cover to make a long dress. It worked.
Old Posted: 16-05-2010 , 10:38 PM #22
Gormal

Great dress for the summer. Love the idea. Have a similar plan for a sheet and curtain fabric as a top or dress...
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-05-2010 , 11:11 PM #23
unapam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormal
Great dress for the summer. Love the idea. Have a similar plan for a sheet and curtain fabric as a top or dress...

Sounds great. You will share the photos - right?
Old Posted: 17-05-2010 , 08:27 AM #24
junkista

Quote:
Originally Posted by unapam
Hi Junkista, I just cut a curve for one armhole and then used that as a template to cut the other one so they would be the same. I then cut along the top,closed end of pcase, made two tunnels for the ribbons to run through and then cut off the envelopse piece at end and hemmed it. Very simple.
There are lots of pillowcase patterns on the net and this little sundress can fit a range of ages as it is worn baggy and is so comfy and cool for summer.

Yeah, I was thinking of making the grown up version for myself using a duvet cover! But I think this would turn out as a mumu dress. Cheers..Pam

hi unapam,
the dress is really great and you made it from a duvet!!! its fantastic! far from a mumu!! well done.
junkista
junkista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-05-2010 , 01:14 PM #25
unapam

Default Sewing "Green"

I just got this great book and it is choc full of ideas for repurposing (even I need inspiration) It has the pillowcase dress in it of course. I will be trying out some of the projects soon.

I got it at a much discounted price and free shipping from the book depository or you could request it at your local library. I read recently that sales of sewing machines have shot up since beginning of recession. They sure get snapped up quickly on here!

I am working on a piece of satin I salvaged from a presentation box I got a gift in at Christmas. I will be doing a B&A on it of course. Update: the photos have now been added at top of this thread.
Attached Images

Old Posted: 17-05-2010 , 01:48 PM #26
Mandolin

Default Duvet cover dress

Great thread, loving all these brilliant ideas.
What about curtains for re-purposing? I used to have a jacket made from a gorgeous brocade curtain, (from Damascus in Temple Bar years ago, all their stuff was made from duvet covers, tablecloths and curtains). There you go Unapam, there'll be no stopping you now. I do think it's the clever little flourishes you do that really finish it off though. Lovely! M.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-05-2010 , 07:20 PM #27
unapam

Default Photos updated

I have added pics of the piece of satin lining now repurposed.
Old Posted: 18-05-2010 , 03:07 PM #28
jessy8754

omg those dresses are just to die for... What a fantastic talent u have.. Well done... They put a smile on my face when I saw them... Keep up the great work.. I'd say there would be a business opportunity out there for you...I dont have a machine & can't sew a button but I'm def. going to give it a try... x
jessy8754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-05-2010 , 03:55 PM #29
unapam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy8754
omg those dresses are just to die for... What a fantastic talent u have.. Well done... They put a smile on my face when I saw them... Keep up the great work.. I'd say there would be a business opportunity out there for you...I dont have a machine & can't sew a button but I'm def. going to give it a try... x

Hi, thanks for your kind words. I think you could give it a try. You never know what you can do until you try - right?
I suggest you go for the pillowcase dress as it is the easiest thing EVER for a beginner sewer. Best wishes - unapam
Old Posted: 11-06-2010 , 11:27 PM #30
darkell09

Default Dress

After seeing the beautiful dress that you made idecided to have a go too. The e d result wasn't too bad considering!
I'd like to find some prettier material to use as what I
used really did look like pillowcase material :0)
I got some blue gingham today in a charity shop so if it's ok il post the e d result here when it's done? Thanks for the inspiration!
darkell09 is offline   Reply With Quote