Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 09-06-2011 , 05:17 PM #16
amybaby

Default 1/4 acre

hi barry,
DH, who is the resident expert in these matters suggests hire a strimmer/brushcutter and get grass down for the moment. plant whips in the autumn straight into the ground through the grass. the wildflowers will have to be brought on from seed. get some trays and plant seeds according to pkt instructions. can usually pick up wildflower packs in garden shops. you could bring them on in the kitchen or porch etc if you don't have a glasshouse.
best of luck. planning on doin something similar ourselves.:)
amybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-06-2011 , 09:25 AM #17
rickaddams

Default 1/4 Acre Site

Thanx for that amybaby and to all who offered advice and suggestions.........

We've decided what we're gonna do for now anyway.....getting a local farmer in with a disc mower to get the grass down as much as possible then burn it with roundup. As we have a lots of rocks due to our drainage problem I was advised to avoid getting it ploughed as a lot of the rocks could be brought back up as well as possible blade damage so just getting it rotivated for now . About 6 weeks should be long enough for the roundup to work we're told and after the summer we can look at things again and decide what to do Birch trees and wildflowers look like the best suggestion for us both and maybe we can add different features as time goes on.

Thanx again to everyone for their input

Regards

Barry
rickaddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-06-2011 , 12:08 PM #18
Mandolin

Great ideas here thanks. Rickaddams - should that not be Grizzly Adams? ;-)
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-08-2011 , 07:00 PM #19
Athy55

Barry, Plant some bamboo trees or willow - they grow really fast and you could use the willow for making baskets etc, or sell it. Also Lidl sell tubs of wildflower seeds (3euro something per tub). I bought them and just threw them in a section of my garden, they came on fine. Good Luck!
Athy55
Athy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-08-2011 , 09:05 PM #20
anyoldwood

Default Your poor unloved field !!

It's easy to make your garden into a wildlife and wild flower garden, l had the same problem with my garden, i'm on a mountain side, so its either very dry or boggy. Wild fushia bushes, Willows love unclaimed earth. All l did to make a wildflower garden was to mow the lawn to balding it, go over with a rake, so the earth is pulled up, water, then throw your seeds on. Watch out for the birds they love the seeds as do the mice etc. I have some Fushia bushes White/pink and red if you want them, they have root form, so can go straight in to the earth. I'm in Tralee.
Regards.
Lynn.
anyoldwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-11-2014 , 07:30 PM #21
JoeClen

I am sorry to hear about your back. I have written a description on how to use a scythe that other people may find interesting. It's at http://scythephotographs.weebly.com/...pe-scythe.html
This type of scythe is quite common in Ireland.
The European style one is different to the scythe that I have described and is maintained in a different manner and it is the European one that is shown in the video mentioned in earlier posts by Recyclist.
JoeClen is offline   Reply With Quote