JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 05-12-2013 , 11:18 PM #1
Cherry

Default updo for jumbletown sofa.

I couldn't believe my luck when I managed to be the one to get this gorgeous sofa from a fellow jumbletowner. I loved the shape. It took me a while, I have never done upholstery before. It was a big learning curve and my fingers got shredded but it was a real labour of love, I am so happy with my new sofa.. the kids love it too as it is so much more comfortable than the previous one. I sourced very reasonably priced cord material from www.cameleontextil.com which was flawless and so soft.-ordered 26m for this and another project and it arrived in one continuos piece! ( I used about half the order on the sofa) I also managed to get my hands on multipurpose scotchguard fabric protector spray and gave the whole thing 3 good coats (just to be sure due to the kids and the dog!)
I had to buy new buttons and cover them, which was great fun, I'd gladly sit there and cover buttons all day, two of which broke as I tried to fit them - this was a happy accident as I used them to cover the nails in the arm pieces. ( i nailed the back plate to the sofa through the hole where the broken metal loop should have gone and then snapped the front on as you would normally... worked great!)

I loved the shape of the couch but it was too low for me and I felt it would benefit from taller legs, so my husband got busy in the shed and made me some legs from scrap wood which we stained and waxed, along with some trim, and fit to the couch using the original hardware.

love the way the sofa turned out.. now have my eye out for a nice shaped chair or two .. maybe a nice citrus green recover - will definitely do this again.

Thank you so much M
Attached Images

Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 06-12-2013 , 07:17 PM #2
mp1980

Well done! It looks clean classy retro, and great idea with the higher legs, perfect!
mp1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-12-2013 , 09:01 PM #3
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

That's a truly fabulous transformation, Cherry!

Many thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-12-2013 , 10:15 AM #4
irishrose

Brilliant job, Cherry! Well done you!
irishrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-12-2013 , 11:22 AM #5
Davidoff

Very Nice!!!! good job!
Davidoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-12-2013 , 04:16 PM #6
Marie59

Default Sofa

Well done Cherry - you did a super job.....I almost want it back!!!!
Marie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-12-2013 , 04:22 PM #7
molly99

Very Nice, legs make all the difference.
molly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-12-2013 , 05:50 PM #8
AONB

Default wow!

Ive just finished reupholstering a wing chair, a small armchair and a Lloyd Loom stool, so I am REALLY impressed by your sofa project!
I am rubbish at box cushions (with zip) - too much sewing for me to be successful - I know yours werent really box shaped - were they difficult? Did you put in a zip?
Can you tell me - how did you cover the buttons?
Where did you order your 26m of fabric?
Putting new legs on was inspired!
AONB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-12-2013 , 10:08 PM #9
4eyes

Fab well done, you sure are handy.
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-12-2013 , 08:45 PM #10
ycul

Default Marvelous!

Fantastic job. I did one as well a few years ago which is on JT before and after also. Its lovely to see how many people look at it, I'm sure you will get the same satisfaction. I have a few more pieces to do so you have just spurred me on to get my butt into action! Thanks and well done again. Ycul.
ycul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-01-2014 , 06:57 PM #11
Cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONB
Ive just finished reupholstering a wing chair, a small armchair and a Lloyd Loom stool, so I am REALLY impressed by your sofa project!
I am rubbish at box cushions (with zip) - too much sewing for me to be successful - I know yours werent really box shaped - were they difficult? Did you put in a zip?
Can you tell me - how did you cover the buttons?
Where did you order your 26m of fabric?
Putting new legs on was inspired!

Hi AONB, Thanks so much....Here is a link to the store where I got the material www.cameleontextil.com , I found them a really good company and although their selection is a bit hit and miss, from my experience the product is quality.

the buttons I got from 'SoSew' in Naas but you can pick them up lots of places... a pack of 5 costs around €3 and its very easy to do. ( & fun).

The covers I did haven't got zips.. but i find if I sew the zip in before putting the cushion pieces together it works better for me. the same for box corners. I sew each side individually resetting the machine and pinning each side in place as i go.. I get a better finish this way as I am not very experienced and things tend to go very wrong unless I break down each process.... I hope this is some help :)
Old Posted: 05-01-2014 , 07:00 PM #12
Cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie59
Well done Cherry - you did a super job.....I almost want it back!!!!

Thanks Marie59, I'm so glad you like it!
Old Posted: 05-01-2014 , 07:16 PM #13
Cherry

Hi Everyone... thank you all for the great comments... its very much appreciated
Old Posted: 11-01-2014 , 05:52 PM #14
Pacman

Default Absolutely fantastic Cherry

Well done to you Cherry - what an amazing job. It really looks fantastic and the legs really suit. I have done a chair and am hoping to to a couch but am a bit worried about how to finish at the back etc where the staples are. Your job is inspiring. Fair play ;-)
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-04-2014 , 01:08 PM #15
Pacman

Default Inspired by Cherry

Having been TOTALLY inspired by Cherry, I have started doing my couch. I have done most of the upholstery but still have a bit to do.

AONB I have box cushions to cover and I watched this video over and over to help me, stopping it when it got to bits I didn't understand, and looking again till I got it and have come out with a really good cushion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=453QuJnSTUw

The other video that has been amazing is this one on how to make a strip of continuous bias piping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTWbRPv9HZo
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote