JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 03-09-2006 , 10:55 PM #1
Patience

Default Recycling Question - Apartment Blocks

Why is waste from apartment blocks not segregated? I mean.......why is there no recycling? Has the answer to this "bin" staring me in the face all along?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 04-09-2006 , 08:13 AM #2
Jen

Talk to your management committee. There is a management company for all apartments, which may just be made up of the residents or may be an external company managed by the residents.

We have a recycling bin - however you are dependant on the other residents to use it correctly. This may seem easy to you, but from experience other struggle based on ignorance or laziness.

Economically you have to pay something like 600 Euro for the black bin every year or 6 months, but I think that you only have to pay once for the green bins. So it will make a difference to your yearly charge. On the flip side, you will also need to organise for someone to take the bins out then on two days and not just the one - so there is added inconvenience and cost there.

In summary, there is recycling in the complex that I live in, but I tend to use external resources myself.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-09-2006 , 09:36 AM #3
Patience

Hi Jen

Thanks for the reply. I'm not living in an apartment myself, but my brother is. He mentioned the lack of recycling bins a few weeks ago. Apparantly they are provided with one bin only. It came to my attention that this is the way with some other apartment blocks also. And, funnily enough, when we spent our holidays in a rented house last week - part of a scheme of rented houses - there was only one bin on site, and there was no mention of recycling. It just seems like some of us are trying really hard to get in on the act, while others either aren't bothered, or aren't being helped to play their part.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote