JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 15-09-2014 , 01:57 PM #1
billythedragonkiller

Default 2 Bedside Lockers to Play Kitchen

2 of these bedside lockers become a play kitchen for my 2 year old daughter. Hobs and oven light up, taps have hot and cold running LEDS and water/gurgling sounds. She loves it!
Attached Images

billythedragonkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 15-09-2014 , 09:14 PM #2
radharc

Brilliant,love it,its looks great,u should do commissions,looks so much better than the plastic kitchens!
radharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-09-2014 , 09:19 PM #3
jacobs

Default Kitchen

Well done Billy that is amazing, very creative.
jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-09-2014 , 09:26 PM #4
Chalkie

Default Toy Kitchen

This is a wonderful transformation and nicer than anything you'd buy in a shop. Well done and keep up the good work! You're certainly competition for Smyths! Is that a teddy cooking in the oven?
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-09-2014 , 09:36 PM #5
shirty

Brilliant. Well done
shirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-09-2014 , 07:41 AM #6
mr20

Default cool

nice work!
mr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-09-2014 , 07:45 AM #7
billythedragonkiller

Thanks all for the kind words, it was a lot of work, many late evenings after bed time (didn't really help that I had to disassemble most of it every night to hide it!) but certainly much more rewarding than going to smyths. I could've made it easier by leaving out the lights and sounds, but I'm an electronic engineer, so had to be done!
And no Chalkie, that's not a teddy bear, it's bread and croissants for my breakfast :D
Old Posted: 19-09-2014 , 06:55 PM #8
joanmul

It's fabulous! Could you give us an idea of how you created it, please.
joanmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-09-2014 , 09:38 PM #9
billythedragonkiller

Sure, will do my best.

Started off by cutting them down to size a bit, which gave me the wood to fill in the fronts where the knobs are for the cooker, and infront of the sink.

Next I routed out the hole for the sink (Balti dish from Dealz, 1.49 :o). Similarly routed out the hole in the oven door for the clear perspex. The door from the sink side became a shelf in that unit under the sink.

Made the taps from some pine, the base is routed out underneath, to hold microswitches for the leds and to trigger the sound (sound is a unit purchased in ebay, records a sound and then plays it back. Made some custom circuits to trigger the lights for a couple of seconds).

The spout is 2 layers of pine sandwiched together, with a groove routed through the middle before glueing together for the led wires. The tap handles are made from some ceramic drawer knobs I had lying around, with some plastic joint screw-connectors from some plumbing fittings (e.g. top left item in http://i62.tinypic.com/10cit5y_th.jpg). Loads of coats of spray paint to make it silver. Knobs for the cooker are also drawer pulls, spray painted black.

The hobs are routed out of the top of the locker too, and red perspex placed into the holes (after hours of sanding to make them fit!). The lighting for these comes from strips of leds (e.g. http://bradatech.com/xPedRobo/shop/images/LED-RD.jpg) which are mounted inside an old coffee tin to keep the shape. Diffused with a circle of white paper under the red perspex. Red light for the oven is also one of these stuck to the roof.

Not visible in the pics, theres a magnetic switch mounted between the two cabinets which turns on a white light in the oven also, again routed out.

The back and shelf is 12mm ply, the tiles are routed out to give a bit of depth rather than just painted on. Made the curtain, and the "window frame" (there's curtains to be still hung for that). Couple of hooks to hang the utensils. Oven handle and towel rail are kitchen handles from ikea.

All painted with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, as I was led to believe that it would adhere well to melamine without needing to strip/sand it. Found it to be very soft, didn't adhere well to the melamine at all, but did adhere well to the bare plywood. Was very easy to scratch paint off, so after i got the final coat on I put on 2 layers of Polybond to seal it all, try stop it flaking when little one hammers it :D

Think that's "all" I did. Lots of time messing with the electronics to get it as I wished, also trying to figure out the switching mechanisms etc. And as I said having to disassemble it every night was a pain in the proverbial, but had to be done.

Hope that gives enough information. I found plenty of plans and stuff on pinterest, also ana-white.com has some super free plans for all sorts of cool things, but I decided to use the cabinets as a base instead of fully scratch building. Next time though I think I'd do a scratch build, plywood is so much nicer to work with and finish than chipboard.
Old Posted: 24-09-2014 , 04:12 PM #10
Darling_x

Default Well done

That is fantastic, and so much nicer than the plastic kitchens you buy for kids these days!!

Well done on both the crafts and the creativity!
Darling_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-09-2014 , 08:04 PM #11
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

A fantastic piece, Billythedragonkiller.

Many thanks for the detailed instructions, and for sharing and inspiring!

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-10-2014 , 11:30 PM #12
melissabell

That's absolutely amazing!!!!
melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-10-2014 , 06:59 PM #13
lela

Absolutely beautiful, well done.
lela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 31-10-2014 , 07:36 PM #14
mar754

Default Kitchen

Wow that is genius, just great. What a lucky little girl.
mar754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2015 , 06:54 AM #15
richardparker19179

Default Nice work

I think you have done a good job here. The way you transform those Lockers in kitchen is really good.
richardparker19179 is offline   Reply With Quote