JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 10-09-2008 , 08:56 AM #1
Mickey

Default FREE Public Collection Day of Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment on 20 Sep

WEEE Ireland have just announced that they will be holding a FREE Public Collection Day of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment on the 20th of September at two locations in the Dublin region.

These locations are:

- Tesco Clearwater in Finglas

- Shopping Centre car park in Ballymun

WEEE Ireland is a not for profit organisation, founded by the producers of electrical and electronic appliances in order to comply with the legal obligations imposed by the WEEE Directive 2002/96/EC.

WEEE Ireland operates by organising the treatment and recycling of waste electrical and electronic equipment from authorised collection points, on behalf of its Producer members.

Their objective is simple, to provide cost effective compliance for Producers to meet the requirements of the WEEE Regulations 2005, whilst minimising the cost to the consumer.

Everyone is encouraged to come along on the day and bring along all of those unwanted electrical items to dispose of for FREE!

Copy and paste this link:

http://www.dublinwaste.ie/files/WEEE%20Info.pdf

for all the details concerning the Public Collection Day.
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 10-09-2008 , 08:55 PM #2
beldarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey

Everyone is encouraged to come along on the day and bring along all of those unwanted electrical items to dispose of for FREE!

Haven't we all been paying for recycling for quite a while now?
Each and every electrical item is automatically charged WEEE, but generally, very little effort is made to enable people use a service thev'e already paid for.
beldarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-09-2008 , 10:54 AM #3
durran

Thanks for the info
durran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-09-2008 , 01:09 PM #4
Bettybooboopbedoop

As bendarin says we are already paying for the service, so there should be a lot more of these collections right around the country, at least twice a year. Thanks for the info. I hope there's one down my way soon...
Bettybooboopbedoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-09-2008 , 02:06 PM #5
biker chick

I agree....why isnt there more of theses collections stations around the country?? Is there anyone happening around Cork in the near future?? Thanks for the info!!
biker chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-09-2008 , 06:05 PM #6
EUES Ireland

Default WEEE Collections

Just a quick reminder that even if you do not get to the Open Days being held in Clearwater and Ballymun this weekend, ANY civic amenity centre around the country will (and must by law) accept WEEE free of charge, if electrical or battery driven items are all you are bringing. In addition, WEEE Ireland and ERP (the European Recycling Platform), the two compliance schemes in Ireland, hold regular Open Day collections in all counties around the country. Ring your local county council for details of upcoming events or you can even email me at euesireland@eircom.net if you are in Clare, Limerick, Kerry, Meath, Cavan, Monaghan,Louth or Fingal and I will send you details of coming ERP Open Days. From September 26th, batteries as well as lighting equipment will also be accepted at such events.
EUES Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-09-2008 , 09:15 AM #7
Ben888

Quote:
Originally Posted by beldarin
Haven't we all been paying for recycling for quite a while now?
Each and every electrical item is automatically charged WEEE, but generally, very little effort is made to enable people use a service thev'e already paid for.

paying that extra 99c to stop something going into landfill is a very reasonable price Imho.
Ben888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-09-2008 , 05:03 PM #8
EUES Ireland

Default WEEE Charges

Actually, since the EU WEEE Directive began in August, 3 years ago, there have been two sets of reductions in the Environmental Management Charges (EMC). The EMC on many small items has been removed altogether and that on larger items has been reduced. Within the next couple of years it will also be a requirement for manufacturers to use 85% recycled materials in their new products.

The problem of privately managed county council civic amenity sites charging for electronic recycling is ongoing. By law, these centres should not charge for such recycling. When tackled by me on this charging, I was told by a CAS manager that " if people ask for their money back, we will give it to them". So ask for it back, and if they are reluctant to give it to you, remind them that they are breaking Irish &EU law, if this still has no effect, report them to the County Council and the Dept of the Environment.
Old Posted: 16-10-2008 , 01:36 AM #9
mhandmoc

Default collection

hey, i see you given advice about household clearences, and electric clearences day, how do you know the date to them ?? and is there anymore coming up, thanks,x
mhandmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-10-2008 , 06:50 AM #10
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhandmoc
hey, i see you given advice about household clearences, and electric clearences day, how do you know the date to them ?? and is there anymore coming up, thanks,x
Hi mhandmoc,

The organisation responsible for these collections is WEEE Ireland.

Please click on the "Consumer Section/Box" here for details:

http://www.weeeireland.ie/

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-10-2008 , 10:31 AM #11
EUES Ireland

Default Electronic Waste Collections

Hi All,

Contrary to the above, there are actually two WEEE Compliance schemes in Ireland. The European Recycling Platform is currently handling 25% of the WEEE collected in Ireland. They are responsible for collections in counties Fingal, Meath, Louth, Cavan , Monaghan, Kerry, Limerick & Clare. If you live in these counties you can contact me at euesireland@eircom.net to get a list of upcoming recycling events in your area. ERP Ireland is accessible at www.erp-recycling.org

Regards,
Brian
European Union Environmental Services Ireland
EUES Ireland
Old Posted: 16-10-2008 , 01:32 PM #12
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUES Ireland
Hi All,

Contrary to the above, there are actually two WEEE Compliance schemes in Ireland. The European Recycling Platform is currently handling 25% of the WEEE collected in Ireland. They are responsible for collections in counties Fingal, Meath, Louth, Cavan , Monaghan, Kerry, Limerick & Clare. If you live in these counties you can contact me at euesireland@eircom.net to get a list of upcoming recycling events in your area. ERP Ireland is accessible at www.erp-recycling.org

Regards,
Brian
European Union Environmental Services Ireland
EUES Ireland
Thanks for the info, Brian!

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote