JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 12-08-2010 , 06:42 PM #1
siri

Default Measuring for reupholstering?

Hi there, have an armchair that my MIL gave to me that is looking very grubby and sad - was planning to give it away but am thinking now of recovering it, as its a nice shape and will fit well into a little corner of my son's room. Does anyone know how I go about coverting the height, width and depth measuremnets into the number of sq metres of fabric I would need to buy to recover it? Heading into Dublin next week and Murphy Sheehy always have fab remanents and unusual fabrics but not sure how to estimate the amount of fabric I need? Thanks! Siri
siri is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 12-08-2010 , 09:31 PM #2
junkista

hi siri,
i reupholstered an armchair this week (in before after forum) its a standard size with a 24" deep seat, 24" flooor to arm, height of back 32", full width 33". i used 3 metres of double width fabric with a lining fabric also. there was very little left over. if your chair is a neat size prob three metres would cover it.hope this helps
junkista
junkista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-08-2010 , 02:28 PM #3
irishrose

I suggest that you bring the measurements in to the shop. Many of them have conversion charts that will tell you how much to buy of a particular width fabric. There are other factors as well. If you decide on something other than a solid colour, you may wish to consider whether you need to match a pattern - stripe, plaid, whatever. Meself, I've given up on reupholstery. I make slipcovers these days. I think it's easier.
irishrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-08-2010 , 02:39 PM #4
junkista

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrose
I suggest that you bring the measurements in to the shop. Many of them have conversion charts that will tell you how much to buy of a particular width fabric. There are other factors as well. If you decide on something other than a solid colour, you may wish to consider whether you need to match a pattern - stripe, plaid, whatever. Meself, I've given up on reupholstery. I make slipcovers these days. I think it's easier.
hiya irish rose,
i would like to try loose covers next time. u think its easier? does it use up alot more fabric? i forgot about matching patterns together aswell. i decided to take off the old covers on my armchair because it was musty and dusty and bit shabby,i might make a loose cover now to protect it.
any advise would be much appreciated
regards
junkista
Old Posted: 13-08-2010 , 02:51 PM #5
irishrose

I've reupholstered quite a few sofas and chairs in my time. You still have to measure and cut the same number of pieces of fabric to cover the piece. The difficulty in upholstery (unless it's a chair seat or something like that) is that you have, in some cases, to disassemble the piece to get the thing covered correctly, and to be able to pull the fabric tight enough. Also, an electric heavy-duty staple gun is the best method of applying the fabric, I think. I've done it with a hand-held stapler, and with upholstery nails. It's time consuming and very difficult to do unassisted. And then, if there are loose cushions, you have to sew them anyway. I think it's far easier to make a slipcover for the base of the thing and then make the cushion covers. I don't think it takes more fabric. It may take a tiny bit less, in fact.
So now I measure carefully, cut the pieces to the shape, pin them inside out to the chair, lift it off, bring it to my sewing machine and sew all the seams I've pinned. Usually I do the back of the chair first, depending on how the thing's shaped. Then I put it back on the chair, and add the seat cover and arm covers. Most slipcovers have a skirt, or at least a piece below the seat that runs all the way around the chair. If you cut and pin, you can get a non-wrinkly, close-fitting cover that has the added bonus of being removable for washing or cleaning.
Here's a not-bad site for general instructions:
http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/s...slipcovers.htm
irishrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-08-2010 , 05:11 PM #6
junkista

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrose
I've reupholstered quite a few sofas and chairs in my time. You still have to measure and cut the same number of pieces of fabric to cover the piece. The difficulty in upholstery (unless it's a chair seat or something like that) is that you have, in some cases, to disassemble the piece to get the thing covered correctly, and to be able to pull the fabric tight enough. Also, an electric heavy-duty staple gun is the best method of applying the fabric, I think. I've done it with a hand-held stapler, and with upholstery nails. It's time consuming and very difficult to do unassisted. And then, if there are loose cushions, you have to sew them anyway. I think it's far easier to make a slipcover for the base of the thing and then make the cushion covers. I don't think it takes more fabric. It may take a tiny bit less, in fact.
So now I measure carefully, cut the pieces to the shape, pin them inside out to the chair, lift it off, bring it to my sewing machine and sew all the seams I've pinned. Usually I do the back of the chair first, depending on how the thing's shaped. Then I put it back on the chair, and add the seat cover and arm covers. Most slipcovers have a skirt, or at least a piece below the seat that runs all the way around the chair. If you cut and pin, you can get a non-wrinkly, close-fitting cover that has the added bonus of being removable for washing or cleaning.
Here's a not-bad site for general instructions:
http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/s...slipcovers.htm

thanks a mill for that info irish rose, i'l def give it a try! its a shame hickeys is my only fabric option as im in limerick.their selection is never great and its always expensive.i will check out that website thanks again! let you know how i get on
junkista
Old Posted: 13-08-2010 , 06:00 PM #7
siri

Wow ... sounds far more complicated than I thought ..... I think I might to try and find someone to do it rather than try it myself as it sounds way beyond my abilities. Thanks for the tips on measuring and the type of fabric - would like a nice bright pattern as it is for my sons' bedroom and the beds and wardrobes are white
siri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-08-2010 , 06:08 PM #8
junkista

hi siri,
dont give up! give it a go.. this is my first attempt and it worked out fine