JumbleTown Ireland



Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Posted: 13-10-2008 , 10:09 AM #16
Fizzywitch
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NE, County Galway
Posts: 177
Default

We too have serious black mold in the bedroom. It can be caused by warm air touching the cold walls.
Ours has become worse since we got better heating in the house!
From what i have read, the mold likes paper. This seems to be so in our bedroom as the Mold is on the wallpapered wall and the dry-lined wall! The walls that have no paper that are just painted walls, have no mold!
We now have a dehumidifier and I have been told there is something to put into paint that stops the growth of the mold so I am going to research into that this week.
It has been such high humidity this year with all the rain that it is a real problem.
I think moving to somewhere warmer and drier would swing it for me!! :-)
Fizzywitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-10-2008 , 10:42 PM #17
angling mad
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 340
Default mold

look up www.igoe.iedublin 8302599
angling mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-10-2008 , 10:31 AM #18
Marathon Man
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tallaght, Dublin 24.
Posts: 359
Default

Removing the mold but not immediately tackling the problem that's causing it is like pumping up a tyre with a slow puncture... useless....!!!

You say it's an older house.. are there any vents in the wall..? A lot of older houses I know of have, over time, had their vents inadvertently wallpapered over. If you rooms can't 'breath' it could be adding to the problem.
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-10-2008 , 10:38 AM #19
Fizzywitch
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NE, County Galway
Posts: 177
Default

Unfortunately we have plenty of air circulating in our bedroom as we have ancient sash windows that rattle about so when there is a north wind the curtains blow about. Oh for double glazing!! :-)
Fizzywitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-10-2008 , 10:59 AM #20
noni
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kinsealy/Malahide, Co. Dublin
Posts: 479
Default mould on ceiling

Fizzywitch,
There is a product I have used to stop condensation turning to mould on bathroom /shower ceiling. I got it from a paint supplier in Baldoyle, Dublin.
You get it in white and paint ceiling once then next day apply second coat
it has worked for me.
You can also tint it if you want to paint walls etc. The name is something like Perma.. something , will check later for you.
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-10-2008 , 08:29 PM #21
macken1969
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noni
Hi Macken1969,
Is it a difficult thing to put a ventilation system in existing house?, might be
interested in doing this if it isnt, like you hate condensation on windows in the winter.
Hi Noni..
yes it's a fairly big job alright and expensive but I have to say it has solved all our problems. Condensation is attracted to the coldest part of a room ie the windows .. if a house is properly ventilated you should have no probs but most old houses are poorly ventilated. have a look at the website below this is where we bought ours it explains all about it. look for the whole house ventilation system. let me know if you need any more info.
www.kiltox.co.uk.
macken1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-10-2008 , 11:19 PM #22
noni
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kinsealy/Malahide, Co. Dublin
Posts: 479
Default mould on ceiling

Will do, thanks Macken1969
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-10-2008 , 11:52 PM #23
paddyp
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10
Default aspergillus

The mold may be aspergillus to which many people have a severe allergic reaction, I had to leave a friends house at 5am and go to a hotel he had a mold test which revealed aspergillus. In america some timber homes have to be demolished when they are infested - google sick house syndrome.

From EHOW:


How to Remove Aspergillus
Step1
Rake around the perimeter of your home and remove as much decaying organic material as you can. Decaying leaves and cuttings are fertile ground for aspergillus to grow, and the mold spores can float in through open windows.
Step2
Mix a weak bleach solution and wipe down every single surface in your home with the weak bleach. Include baseboards, door edgings, windowsills, and every possible surface where dust or mold might settle.
Step3
Remove all sources of water or dampness in your home, to remove possible breeding grounds for molds such as aspergillus. Fix leaky pipes or extreme condensation, and check your roof for any leaks.
Step4
Clean mold-prone areas with miticide, a strong mold-killing chemical. Bathrooms and kitchens, especially under sinks, are fertile grounds for aspergillus and should be cleaned carefully with miticide at least once a month. Wear gloves and a face mask, and ventilate the area properly.
Step5
Run air purifiers in your home. You need fresh air, of course, so once a day during daylight (peak sun is best), open your windows and air out the house for 15 minutes or so. Close the windows and resume running the air purifiers. An Air purifier in the bedroom while sleeping is particularly important for aspergillus control and removal.
paddyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-10-2008 , 12:56 AM #24
HappyHunter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the Sticks, North Castlecomer, County Kilkenny
Posts: 399
Default

This is a great resource of information on aspergillus

http://www.aspergillus.org.uk
HappyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-12-2008 , 08:46 PM #25
kiara
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ennis, Co. Clare
Posts: 1,461
Default

once you have killed the mould, use rubber paint it can't come through it!
kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-12-2008 , 11:33 PM #26
magiceight
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Shankill
Posts: 132
Default

Grapefruit seed extract is great for killing mold, it's available from health food shops and is very safe - you can even take it internally for fungal infections (diluted as per instructions on label).

I became quite ill a while back and I believe it was triggered by sleeping beside black mold. Took me a few years and a lot of cleansing to get back to normal.
magiceight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-12-2008 , 05:00 PM #27
jeana
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 217
Default

I have mould- I have cleaned it off but I think I'll just have to make sure I open the windows more often and use the heating less.
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-01-2009 , 01:11 AM #28
Lullymore
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
Default Mould

Recently i had a similar problem which i tackled head on. Firstly i cleaned off most of the stuff just with a hard sponge and water. Then we got this stuff from the D.I.Y store(don't know name) clear stuff that you put directly over paint like a sealer on the outside wall (not inside). We also installed a extra vent in the wall which seams to have done the trick. The room is now well vented not cold and the problem has gone for now. I know that you can also get this crystals like salt crystals (cheaply) which you leave in a container and they soak up the excess water mom used these before also adding vents which helped her alot. Good Luck.
Lullymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-01-2009 , 09:28 AM #29
jeana
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 217
Default

I have a question- if you coat the ceiling with plastic paint stuff indoors- will your room not continue to manufacture mould just it will find somewhere else to stick- just wondering---
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-01-2009 , 10:03 PM #30
Moeby
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tyrrellspass, Co Westmeath
Posts: 317
Default mould

Hi, I am on the local hall committee and we had serious problems with mould on the ceiling of our meeting rooms. I sprayed it with Detox mildew remover, it is quite potent and you will need to wear a mask. It kills the mildew instantly, in fact you can see it dripping off. I know this may not be the green way to resolve the matter but it does work. You obviously have a ventilation problem somewhere or there is moisture getting in from somewhere so although this may treat the problem, it will not resolve the cause. You need to find out exactly what is causing the problem and then address it.
Moeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:53 PM.



JumbleTown - Useful Links

 
 

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.