JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 11:35 AM #1
beldarin

Default Passing junk mail back down the line...

Totally fed up with the amount of junk that comes through your letter box? Tired of taking it straight from the door to the recycling basket?
Why not pass on most of it to interested parties, like I do...
Let me explain..
I was annoyed how many junk leaflets arrived with my gas bill, and the esb too for that matter, so one day I packed all the extras into the pre-paid envelope (who uses them anyway?) and sent it back to them, problem solved. I didn't ask for it, so why should I have to recycle it?
Then I got to thinking, If the gas company thought I might be interested in reading about hotel breaks, maybe I should do them the courtesy of letting them know when the local pizza place was having a special offer, so, next time a pre-paid envelope arrived, I very thoughtfully added a selection of leaflets I had hanging around, and sent em off. I even included a note to explain my generosity, just in case it should somehow be misunderstood. Now I always make sure to tell the ESB when they can get a good deal on water purifiers, or pass along ad's for odd-job-men to eircom.
Petty? Perhaps..., but fun nonetheless.

PS: For the record, I have actually asked not to have this kind of thing sent to me, Bord gais have obliged by having paper-less online billing, O2 have done the same, maybe the rest will cop on eventually.
beldarin is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 11:40 AM #2
misstake

Default brilliant

Thank you so much for that idea Icant wait until my postie delivers all that junk yes even if i have to buy a stamp i will send it back to the sorting office Let them know i dont want it and will add a few i get in the paper for good measure
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 12:49 PM #3
Bettybooboopbedoop

I'm sitting here laughing, while reading this. I am definately going to give this a go. I get loads dropped in the door, even from people walking around dropping in leaflets and fliers. Great idea, and no postage fee.
Bettybooboopbedoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 01:06 PM #4
tasmin

Default hi beldarin

brillinat idea...

so i though i might pick ur brain about another letterbox problem.

have you any good ideas about what i can do about the amount of leaflets/flyers that come through the letterbox?

at the moment i am getting anywhere between 6/12 of these flaming things a day....and i'm just sick of it!!!!

any ideas welcome.

tas
tasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 01:13 PM #5
Bettybooboopbedoop

There used to be stickers "No Junk Mail" sold that you could stick on your letterbox.
Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 01:19 PM #6
Stuarty

Default ideas for reducing your junk mail

There are a few things you can do to reduce the amount of junk you receive,

Firstly check the electoral register and make sure that you not on the register that can be used for commercial purposes, I think that the people in the library can point you in the right direction to make sure you are on the right one

Also check your listing in the phone book and make sure you are on the 'no direct marketing' list, your phone provider can sort this out for you,

Also some companies that operate loyalty schemes, eg dunnes, tesco have options that you can select that mean you just receive your vouchers and not all the leaflets that come with

and then theres the basic ones, if you enter a competition make sure you always tick the box that says you do not wish to have your details passed on...

This should avoid junk mail that is directed at you, the generic stuff is more difficult, you could put up a no junk mail sign on your letterbox. (the one that Betty just suggested) I luckily avoid this problem because I live in the back of beyond and I have a v grumpy Jack Russell!!

Good luck
Sarah
Stuarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 01:42 PM #7
mrsl

Default junk mail

Brilliant idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstake
Thank you so much for that idea Icant wait until my postie delivers all that junk yes even if i have to buy a stamp i will send it back to the sorting office Let them know i dont want it and will add a few i get in the paper for good measure

No need to even put it in an envelope, - just drop it in the letterbox at the Post Office.

I wonder how An Post will like all the junk they receive!
mrsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 03:43 PM #8
kilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsl
No need to even put it in an envelope, - just drop it in the letterbox at the Post Office.

I wonder how An Post will like all the junk they receive!

its up to the postman to sort out all the post from letterbox, this is only making more work for him and could result in a delay in you receiving that all important letter! he is only doing his job. thats my opinion anyhow!
kilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 05:36 PM #9
unapam

Default Great idea!

Brilliant!

What I do is leave the green bin outside the door with a note on it saying "Please deposit all leaflets/flyers here"
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 06:55 PM #10
biker chick

Ive often returned all useless junk mail in the return envelopes & have a big sign "no junk mail" on my letter box which has greatly reduced what junk comes through my letter box,& ive often ran after my postman with the junk mail he had put through my door in the previous year & he no longer puts junk mail through my letter box as he is scared of me by now as i got quite mad at him & i refused to give him a christmas tip last year as a result of all the junk mail so now im more or less junk mail free.....
biker chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 08:16 PM #11
The Mammy

Default Re Junk mail

Brilliant Idea's,
I hate junk mail but my biggest problem is all the sticky labels and plastic bags , looking for clothes and toys for all over the world...I get at least 3 a day and the problem is I just don't know which ones are genuine....so they all go in the bin...And the clothes and Toys go to Jumbletown of course...
Cheers
The Mammy
The Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 08:47 PM #12
ireneo

Just get all your junk mail in one pile and the free post envelopes in another and start putting every companys post in another companys envelope and post them off. Think of Tescos getting Dunnes`special offer leaflets. If we all did it they might get as fed up as we are. Let them all dispose of each others junk and then they wont be filling our bins.
ireneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 10:28 PM #13
acket

An Post gets an income from all this junk mail, postie doesnt deliver it for nothing.
And an army of deliverers earn bottom dollar pushing takeaway/repair/handyman/etc flyers through your door.
So not so easy to stop

Some interesting info here
http://www.donotmailus.org/section.php?id=3
Americans receive 4 million tonnes per year.

And some UK addresses that seemed to work there, maybe there are equivalent here
http://beehive.thisisderbyshire.co.u...0&PageID=25635

I reckon your best bet is a No Junk Mail or Flyers sign on the door.

Hang a severed hand over the post box for extra effect.*
(Repurposed)

The finally the real perils of junk mail.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...il-injury.html
acket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 11:27 PM #14
RockyD

Default junk mail

I would never have thought of returning junk mail but I am going to do it from now on. I am not bothered if I am sending it back to where it came or to another junk supplier they will all get post from now on. Maybe if we all done this ,and with the power of Jumbletown it could be great. Let us know if you are interested in following up on this.
RockyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2008 , 11:32 PM #15
Bettybooboopbedoop

I'm definately going to do it anyway. I'm sick of all the junk mail. They can even have the flyers that are put through the door also. My hall table is usually full of them.