Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 09-02-2009 , 09:07 PM #31
summersun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakes
Hi All

This is great.

I wouldn't be in a position to build one myself but if any of ye start it up as a business I would be more than willing to pay you to install a wind turbine for me.

I live on a very exposed and windy site...wouldn't it be great to be able to generate some electricity...especially since receiving my last esb bill. I conserve energy as best I can but cant control the increase in my bill...

Keep me in mind as a customer...PLEASE

Have any of ye seen the wind turbine at the house on way into Oranmore, Galway?
See that "Fries"... your 1st customer.... ready and waiting.... so start that company. We are still waiting to see you on "Dragons Den."
Get your arse in gear ... you CAN do it... get to it before someone else does.

Summersun
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-02-2009 , 09:13 AM #32
Fries-With-That

Default HaHa summersun

Are you kidding me, summersun, I'm still working on a basic plan for some of the guys that pmmed me before christmas.( alas its not cost effective to set up a manafacturing plant in Ireland when they can be sourced so cheap overseas)

I have however noticed that there are several companies now selling wind turbines in Ireland and to be honest some of the prices they are charging are shocking.( in a non electric way)

I had a meeting with 2 members of one of these companies last week and they quoted me €4500 for a wind turbine fully installed depending on location.

I'm sure if you do a little internet searching you'll find that they are available far cheaper than that leaving you a couple of grand over to arrange installation yourself.

I have made contact with a company overseas that is prepared to supply me with a complete set up ( Turbine, Tower, Guy wires, Sine wave inverter This set up would cost approx €6500 here in Ireland),however I would need to order several to avail of a trade discount.

Chris or Dave feel free to delete this paragraph if its not appropiate.

If there are enough people interested in buying turbines I would be prepared to order them on a co operative basis ( everyone gets to see exactly how much they cost and no one makes profit).
From the figures I have recieved the savings would be massive ( several thousand) over the cheapest prices being quoted in Ireland/UK at the moment.

Regards,

Fries.
Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-02-2009 , 10:44 AM #33
jenniferalan

hi chakes, I've seen that house in oranmore. turbine is big, I'd say it provides the majority of their electricity... Seems very close to the house ( in back garden) considering all the land behind.
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-02-2009 , 04:12 PM #34
LadyA

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries-With-That
Are you kidding me, summersun, I'm still working on a basic plan for some of the guys that pmmed me before christmas.( alas its not cost effective to set up a manafacturing plant in Ireland when they can be sourced so cheap overseas)

I have however noticed that there are several companies now selling wind turbines in Ireland and to be honest some of the prices they are charging are shocking.( in a non electric way)

I had a meeting with 2 members of one of these companies last week and they quoted me €4500 for a wind turbine fully installed depending on location.

I'm sure if you do a little internet searching you'll find that they are available far cheaper than that leaving you a couple of grand over to arrange installation yourself.

I have made contact with a company overseas that is prepared to supply me with a complete set up ( Turbine, Tower, Guy wires, Sine wave inverter This set up would cost approx €6500 here in Ireland),however I would need to order several to avail of a trade discount.

Chris or Dave feel free to delete this paragraph if its not appropiate.

If there are enough people interested in buying turbines I would be prepared to order them on a co operative basis ( everyone gets to see exactly how much they cost and no one makes profit).
From the figures I have recieved the savings would be massive ( several thousand) over the cheapest prices being quoted in Ireland/UK at the moment.

Regards,

Fries.
Sine wave inverters? Beam me up Scotty! I honestly haven't a clue what you are talking about - but we have been wanting to put up a wind turbine for a while now! But can't afford it. Basically we are on my husband's non-contrib. pension. Not a technical brain cell between us, although I am slightly better than he is (I at least know how to set a time switch!). At one of those Sustainable Living fairs, we talked to a guy about turbines, and he said it would cost about 7,000 euro (sorry, don't know how to do euro sign!) to buy and install. We do live on a pretty windy spot, with the land sloping away behind us with a fall of about 100 feet. (wonderful view, but we pay for it with the wind!) But all this thread sounds very very interesting!!! Very interesting indeed! :-) We would certainly be interested in getting a turbine with your co-op idea if we could get someone who knew what they were doing to put it up and install it!
LadyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-02-2009 , 03:22 PM #35
John Kieran

Default The Power of Wind

Hi everyone, I never thought it would come to this when I asked about turbines, but it seems that there is a lot of interest, as well as alot of windy places macross this land. With everything going down the tubes [are you listening politicians and bankers???] it seems now more than ever alternative models need to be looked into, just basically to survive......

My plan is to get the info on how to construct a wind turbine [still waiting?] and then try to build it myself, once done never forgotten....Keep up the thread!"!
John Kieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-02-2009 , 06:55 PM #36
summersun

Hi All,

Whilst shopping in Enniskillen yesterday i noticed a flyer up in Hannah's Electrical advertising a residential wind turbine course on how to build your own.... i briefly scanned over it expecting to see fries name ... but unfortunately didnt.

If anybody is interested i will be back there on Monday and i can get the info for anyone if you either pm me or reply to this thread

Summersun
Old Posted: 12-02-2009 , 06:58 PM #37
LadyA

Default still waiting!

I bet CAT or Walnut Books would have some sort of instructions or book on constructing wind turbines! Have you looked in John Seymours classic Complete Book of Self Sufficiency?;-)
LadyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-02-2009 , 09:06 PM #38
Fries-With-That

Default Blowing in the wind

Hi everyone thats interested,

First thing you should look at is this.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/?Loc=GB

Still interested, read this.

http://windstuffnow.com/main/microwave_wind_generator

This gives a break down of what it can cost.

http://www.richardcollins.net/winsol_epilogue.html

More interesting information.

http://www.allsmallwindturbines.com/

So now you're ready to build after doing all that reading.
Here's a book to tell you exactly what to do.

http://otherpower.com/users_manual.shtml

I had to include this website because this guy has made some beautiful turbines.( not as beautiful as mine LOL )

http://ivan.benkovic.szm.sk/

And if after all this study you're still interested read up some more here, this is the guy that started the craze for DIY wind turbines.

http://www.scoraigwind.com/

I've spent many hours researching wind turbines, how to build them, cost effectiveness etc etc there are hours of research gone into the idea, and I've come to the conclusion that its certainly possible to build one for yourself and save yourself thousands of euro.
If on the other hand you're mainly interested in building as a hobby I'd suggest you start by building a very small turbine ( the picture I have on this thread is a small turbine and it has a wingspan of about 4 feet). Make your mistakes on a hobby first without spending lots of cash.

Happy building and many hours of happy reading on the links above.

Regards,

Fries-with-that-searching-for-the-answer-blowing-in-the-wind

PS don't forget you can spend thousands on a turbine that is still only as powerful as one you'd knock up in your garden shed for a few hundred euro and a little bit of your time.
Old Posted: 12-02-2009 , 09:10 PM #39
Fries-With-That

Default Great book

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyA
I bet CAT or Walnut Books would have some sort of instructions or book on constructing wind turbines! Have you looked in John Seymours classic Complete Book of Self Sufficiency?;-)

John Seymours book is an excellent read, it covers hundreds of topics I'd advise anyone thats interested in sustainable living to have a copy on their bookshelf.
Old Posted: 16-02-2009 , 06:54 PM #40
summersun

Hi John and Fries.... here is the info on the course... unfortunately i failed to notice that the course is now over but others will be run .... this is word for word...

BUILD YOUR OWN WIND TURBINE

A workshop on the famous Hugh Piggott design ... see Hugh's web site
www.scoraigwind.com

Ballinamore Co Leitrim

Starting Thursday 22 jan to Sat 7th feb running on thurs - fri - sat over three weekends
Full course fee €350 or € 50 per day (see fries money to be made)

spaces are limited to 10 people

Courses will be repeated regularly check our website

www.BuildYourOwnWindTurbine.com ( the flyer shows uppercase letters in this website????)

The course is based on the teachings of Hugh Piggott and taught by Eirbyte Renewable Energy, a Leitrim based company with many years experience.

Each day a modest amount of theoretical introduction will lead to workshop sessions with opportunities to gain hands on experienceof carving wooden blades, winding coils and fitting magnets into all purpose built alternators for wind powe, wiring, fabrication and all aspects which can be covered as time allows.

Participants who bring their own ideas and materials to the course will be welcomed and given assistance where possible.

We would hope to complete one 2.4 metre diametre wind turbine with wooden blades and a permanent magnet alternator

Contact us at 091 442021 or our web site. www.BuildYourOwnWindTurbine.com

That is the end of the info on the flyer.... i hope it helps and gives someone the needed kick up the rear to start his own company or course....

Good Luck all
Summersun
Old Posted: 16-02-2009 , 09:19 PM #41
Fries-With-That

Default HaHaHa

R.O.T.F.L.M.A.O @ Summersun.

Summersun, I saw this course advertised somewhere before, it very much a hands on course and I would hope for €350 you'd at least get to take home a small turbine.

Some of the links I posted including the one to a complete book will show people exactly what they need to do without having to spend €350.

I would say that if you were to get the money and invest it in materials you'd build a turbine that would equal many of the ones being sold in Ireland today for thousands of euro.

Still laughing,

Fries.
Old Posted: 16-02-2009 , 09:26 PM #42
summersun

R O T F L M A O ???? what translate for poor ole summersun please... its to late at night for quizzes..

still laughing??? ... you mean still putting off that "starting a new business enterprise"....

still trying to encourage....

summersun :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries-With-That
R.O.T.F.L.M.A.O @ Summersun.

Summersun, I saw this course advertised somewhere before, it very much a hands on course and I would hope for €350 you'd at least get to take home a small turbine.

Some of the links I posted including the one to a complete book will show people exactly what they need to do without having to spend €350.

I would say that if you were to get the money and invest it in materials you'd build a turbine that would equal many of the ones being sold in Ireland today for thousands of euro.

Still laughing,

Fries.
Old Posted: 18-04-2009 , 02:44 PM #43
iliy

could you send me them linkd you have for building that wind turbine.thanks........
iliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-04-2009 , 09:24 PM #44
Fries-With-That

Default Links to wind turbine building help

Hi Iliy,

Please read farther down the thread I have posted all the links you'll ever need to learn about building wind turbines.

Regards,

Fries.
Old Posted: 12-05-2009 , 11:56 PM #45
gmurray

Default investment avenues

Hi Fries-With-That,
Although you have been rejected there are other avenues: check out www.iqprize.ie
Also if your idea is exportable check out revenues BES Information Leaflet IT 55.
They might be useful.
good luck
gmurray is offline   Reply With Quote