JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 28-05-2010 , 07:04 AM #1
bubbles747

Default cost of reupholstery

hi just wondering does anyone know roughly how much it costs for reupholstery 3+2 as i have an old suite and rather than dump it id like to reupholster it?
bubbles747 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 28-05-2010 , 12:51 PM #2
TickTock

Default cost of reupholstery

About 2 years ago I was quoted around €1000 - €1200 for a 1970's sofa and two armchairs. When I said it was too expensive the guy said he'd be happy to discuss the price. So it might be possible to get the work done for less but it may also depend on the fabric you choose. I never got the work done in the end but my suite is in dire need of doing up. Were people smaller in the 70's? 'Cos my 6ft son makes my suite look really teeny! I'd be interested if anyone has got a more recent price.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-05-2010 , 01:15 PM #3
Gormal

I've heard prices like that too.
However if its a fabric suite, you could see if you could get the cover off yourself, unpicking staples, then sliding the cover off. Once the cover is picked apart at the seams you will have a template to cut your new fabric, simply sew together new fabric and put back on suite, pulling tight and stapling with a heavy duty gun.
I did this with a metal action sofa bed many moons ago. It cost me €50 for 2 pairs of curtains [buy get one free], I reused the cushion zips too. It was the first time I did anything like it, but well worth it.
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-05-2010 , 01:26 PM #4
bubbles747

thanks for your replies,
im not just that brave gormal! i wouldnt like to attempt it! i think that cost is ridiculous no wonder so many sofas are thrown out, this was a sofa i saved from the tip years ago but its such a comfy sofa i wouldnt like to get rid of it, im just looking for it to be recovered in a nice red gingham fabric, i emailed a few places for quotes so waiting to get back, when they do il let you know!
bubbles747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-05-2010 , 03:13 PM #5
TickTock

Lol! I'm not that brave either Bubbles! Just thought, it would cost a lot less than €1200 for us to pay for Gormal's train fare to come and do the job for me!! Besides, forgot to mention, my suite doesn't only need recovering, it need new stuffing stuff too as the family might as well be sitting on the floor the custions are so flippin' flat!
Old Posted: 28-05-2010 , 06:23 PM #6
mammasboys

Default new covers

Have a look at the Ikea web site and see if any of their loose cover sofas are similar to yours. Then you could buy a set, for a lot less than €1200. Put it on your cushions etc inside out, pin and stitch up to fit.
mammasboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-05-2010 , 06:51 PM #7
summersun

Hi Bubbles,

Just an idea... what about contacting the local college or adult learning centre where they would do evening courses in recovering furniture, soft furnishings etc... and perhaps you could put a card on the notice board ... looking for someone to recover the suite ... they could learn on yours and youd get a far cheaper job... also try the free ads paper the local trader... free to advertise in and you might get lucky ...

good luck summersun
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-05-2010 , 09:19 PM #8
unapam

Default loose covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammasboys
Have a look at the Ikea web site and see if any of their loose cover sofas are similar to yours. Then you could buy a set, for a lot less than €1200. Put it on your cushions etc inside out, pin and stitch up to fit.

I got loose covers in Ikea for a two seater sofa for 120 euro. If your couch is standard shape it could do the trick. Check out the Ikea site to see the shape of the sofa and loose covers. They wash great too.
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-06-2010 , 10:34 PM #9
Purplerain

hi i recently looked up ( loose covers )on the internet and was given a quote of 700 euro for a standard 2 seater i thought this was very expensive.
Purplerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-08-2010 , 03:25 PM #10
Newhomemaker

Default reupholster

hi u need a length of underfabric which the cheapest material would be hessian or canvas or offcut heavy fabric and u need some stuffing to replace patches u just unroll this over the sofa cover with hessian and get a staple gun to staple the edges down then whatever fabric u like staple that over it and make pouches for cushion covers even with velcro so u can wash them in the machine u can hand stitch these in big easy stitched and so long as u do all the stitching and stapling out of sight it looks grand i did this once but no photos u can look it up on u tube there are lots of videos. as i did it all in a hurry and on the cheap with fabric i found had begged and borrowed my only expense was stuffing fabric in a roll thread and the staple gun. dirt cheap and looked as good as new. it seems a mystery to mortals but im no handy man and found it pretty easy. dont pay a grand anyway thats a load of whatsit!!!
Newhomemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-08-2010 , 03:28 PM #11
TickTock

Just returning to this thread. Has anyone got any recent prices for reupholstering a suite?
Old Posted: 29-08-2010 , 05:27 PM #12
4eyes

Default Couch

Perhaps if you tried an upholsterer out of the city it would be cheaper.
Most of them collect and deliver the item.
Some of them will allow you to provide your own material, there is often good value on e-bay for a roll.
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-08-2010 , 11:37 PM #13
TickTock

Thanks for the suggestions - will check them out.
Old Posted: 31-08-2010 , 10:05 PM #14
bings

Default re-uphostery

Ho I got the local evening class to do mine and it only cost me the cost of the materials and filler plus 200 to the person to do it. It needs doing again and I will do it the same way again.
bings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-09-2010 , 08:25 AM #15
TickTock

Genius! Never thought of that! Thanks for the info.