Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 30-03-2009 , 01:00 PM #1
chaos

Default pest sprays. any suggestions?

Hi,

Does anybody out there have any suggestions on how to make an organic pest spray for houseplants ?

Tesco used to have one, but I've been told that because of the recession it's one of the products they're not stocking at present. I'm sure I shouldn't have to pay over 10 Euro for a litre from Atlantic Homecare. I'm not so sure that those labelled Organic are always what they say on the box.

Many thanks
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 30-03-2009 , 01:34 PM #2
sidhe.eire

Default hey :)

what kinda pests are u talkin about?? most insects dont like peppermint essential oil so u could mix some in water say 10 drops for every 600ml then theres citronella for mosquioes and the biting ones...maybe do a google on it and see what else u can come up with...
sidhe.eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-03-2009 , 01:37 PM #3
colmsmum

Hi Chaos,

I've used garlic cloves & water in a spray bottle for my edible plants like herbs and beans etc and it seems to keep pests at bay. My Nan always throws soapy/washing up water on her roses, she's been doing this for years and it seems to work. Citrus peelings are good for stopping cats pooping in the garden, seemingly they don't like the smell! I'm sure if you google it you'll find lots of recipes for doing away with specific bugs. Is there something in-particular you want to get rid of?

Best of luck,
colmsmum.
colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-03-2009 , 03:25 PM #4
chaos

Default Thanks

Thanks for those first suggestions.

At the moment the main pests I want to get rid of are greenfly which are attacking my bulb shoots and houseplants especially geraniums and cyclamen.
Old Posted: 30-03-2009 , 03:27 PM #5
chaos

Yes, citronella is a thought. I have some. Do you think essential oil would be effective as a cure rather than a preventative measure? I might try the garlic too. I've tried washing up liquid which either does or doesn't seem to work. Perhaps it depends on the make. I know ladybirds would quite happily hoover them up but I haven't seen anu around recently.

later-just google, resulting more suggestions. Any more ides welcome with thanks.
Old Posted: 30-03-2009 , 10:35 PM #6
jennie

Two ones we always used to kill greenflies:

Soapy water ( a soap bar for this)

OR

Cigarette butts soaked in water, collect them up in a bottle & then add water to it, leave to soak until it's dark brown.. looks like tea (sounds horrible I know, looks horrible too, but really works!)
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 31-03-2009 , 11:34 AM #7
sidhe.eire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos
Yes, citronella is a thought. I have some. Do you think essential oil would be effective as a cure rather than a preventative measure? I might try the garlic too. I've tried washing up liquid which either does or doesn't seem to work. Perhaps it depends on the make. I know ladybirds would quite happily hoover them up but I haven't seen anu around recently.

later-just google, resulting more suggestions. Any more ides welcome with thanks.

i know the citronella killed house flys but i had to make sure i got them a few times but then again greey fly is tiny so the a couple of sprays might do the trick either way they wont like it and might go elsewhere...let us know what happens?? i was thinking of ladybirds too maybe go out to the garden ask for there help and they'll come the universe works in amazing ways!!
sidhe.eire is offline   Reply With Quote