JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 15-12-2009 , 11:12 PM #1
SpareParts

Default Pillows - how to stop turning yellow

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but my pillows seem to turn yellow eventually, it does not matter if they are cheap or expensive, they all eventually turn yellow. Does anyone know why? Anyone know how we can turn back to white. Also this seems to happen any white sheets or pillow cases that are in storage.
SpareParts is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 16-12-2009 , 12:37 PM #2
Scrabble

I think that its just a natural thing that happens. You are suposed to change your pillows every 6 months for hygene reasons. When my husband smoked his pillow always went yellow so it must be just to do with using them. You can buy pillow protectors but I don't know if they stop them yellowing.
Scrabble
Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-12-2009 , 01:14 PM #3
bounci

Default yellow pillows

you could try slicing 2 organic lemons in half, then removing pips to protect your washing machines filter put them in with your pillows on 30 degree wash. no powder. organic lemons because the acidity is stronger. my partner has same problem with white t shirts and it worked a treat. hope that helps
bounci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-12-2009 , 06:28 PM #4
dee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareParts
I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but my pillows seem to turn yellow eventually, it does not matter if they are cheap or expensive, they all eventually turn yellow. Does anyone know why? Anyone know how we can turn back to white. Also this seems to happen any white sheets or pillow cases that are in storage.
We always use soda crystals in with the liquid detergent,our whites always stay white,we always use white bedding,never seem to have any problems.aparently when you store sheets etc it's the heat in hot press or any enclosed area that causes the streaking.dont know if that is true or not,but as a precaution.I store them in a see through plastic like when you get a item from the launderette and again never had any problems...hope this is of help..
dee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-12-2009 , 12:02 PM #5
SpareParts

Default Lemons it is !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounci
you could try slicing 2 organic lemons in half, then removing pips to protect your washing machines filter put them in with your pillows on 30 degree wash. no powder. organic lemons because the acidity is stronger. my partner has same problem with white t shirts and it worked a treat. hope that helps

Thanks for this suggestion, I will certainly give it a try,
Old Posted: 18-12-2009 , 12:04 PM #6
SpareParts

Default storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee1
We always use soda crystals in with the liquid detergent,our whites always stay white,we always use white bedding,never seem to have any problems.aparently when you store sheets etc it's the heat in hot press or any enclosed area that causes the streaking.dont know if that is true or not,but as a precaution.I store them in a see through plastic like when you get a item from the launderette and again never had any problems...hope this is of help..

thanks for your reply. Yes my whites are fine and stay white, it is any pillows, pillow cases, duvets, baby vests and T-shirts, that I have in storage seem to be the ones discolouring. I will use plastic zip locks to store stuff from now on once I get them white again.
Old Posted: 18-12-2009 , 08:56 PM #7
dee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareParts
thanks for your reply. Yes my whites are fine and stay white, it is any pillows, pillow cases, duvets, baby vests and T-shirts, that I have in storage seem to be the ones discolouring. I will use plastic zip locks to store stuff from now on once I get them white again.

washing with the soda crystals,have brought them back to white,for my neighbour when i suggested it to her,or so she said.
dee1 is offline   Reply With Quote