JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 03-03-2010 , 12:05 PM #1
TickTock

Default Nesting time

I regret not keeping my hedges trimmed last year. Now they are in dire need of attention but don't want to destroy any family homes which may be in my hedges. Need advice - can I cut my hedges now or have the birds already begun building their nests?
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 03-03-2010 , 12:15 PM #2
Only

You're not supposed to cut hedges between March 1st and September ...
I spotted a crow the other day gathering twigs and building a nest ... not sure that's what you want to hear though ..
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-03-2010 , 12:26 PM #3
TickTock

March to September!!!!! There are lots of people cut their hedges during these months. Can that really be right? Also, can I get arrested for doing it?!!! Crikey!
Old Posted: 03-03-2010 , 12:49 PM #4
Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock
March to September!!!!! There are lots of people cut their hedges during these months. Can that really be right? Also, can I get arrested for doing it?!!! Crikey!

Those are the rules for "hedgecutting" on roads or farmland ... the likes of gorse, whitethorn etc etc ... thought those were the types of hedges you were referring to?
I saw a case in the local paper only this week where a farmer and the contractor he got to cut the hedges on his farm in April last year were taken to court. The farmer was fined but the contractor wasn't so they do take it seriously.
I'd doubt anyone would take a case for anyone cutting hedges in their own garden though unless it was pretty serious butchering.
On another note - the new landowner opposite my house literally butchered ALL the hedging and trees in a large field on February 28th last week! ... Poor birds and looks awful!
Old Posted: 03-03-2010 , 05:40 PM #5
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin - re: Dept of the Environment press release

Quote:
I regret not keeping my hedges trimmed last year. Now they are in dire need of attention but don't want to destroy any family homes which may be in my hedges. Need advice - can I cut my hedges now or have the birds already begun building their nests?
Recent Press Release:

HEDGECUTTING NOTICE
16/02/10

Birds and Wildlife Nesting and Breeding Season: Restrictions on the destruction of hedgerows and the destruction of vegetation on uncultivated land from 1 March to 31 August 2010.

More details...here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Heritage/Na...y,22329,en.htm
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-03-2010 , 08:35 PM #6
TickTock

Default Nesting

I didn't mean to give the impression that I am dealing with acres and acres. Not at all, I meant a simple city garden. I would of course check for nests first. You've frightened me silly, so you have!
Old Posted: 03-03-2010 , 08:38 PM #7
Only

Quote:
I didn't mean to give the impression that I am dealing with acres and acres. Not at all, I meant a simple city garden. I would of course check for nests first. You've frightened me silly, so you have!

Sorry TickTock!! Thought you meant hedgerows ... City gardens are a totally different matter! ... I wouldn't worry about cutting them at all if you're checking them first for nests anyways :-) ... Sorry for the scare!
Old Posted: 04-03-2010 , 02:20 PM #8
TickTock

Default Nesting time

Thanks! Phew!