JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 13-10-2009 , 10:48 PM #16
unapam

Default Hand knit scarf

This is a very easy to knit scarf. I got the pattern on the Berroco website. The scarf can be found under EASY projects and is called Rose. A hand knitted item is always a nice present to receive. If you can do a plain and purl you can knit this up very quicklty.

Here is the second one of these I made along with a daisy brooch made from old buttons. Thanks for the buttons Jemima!
Attached Images

unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-10-2009 , 11:16 PM #17
jpmum

whats a plain and purl? sorry, have no idea on how to knit, only just straight lines that we did in school,i dont even know what there called,ha ha! :)
its beautiful though. I know my mil would love this. its fab.
jpmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-10-2009 , 11:26 PM #18
unapam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmum
whats a plain and purl? sorry, have no idea on how to knit, only just straight lines that we did in school,i dont even know what there called,ha ha! :)
its beautiful though. I know my mil would love this. its fab.

LOL! What you were doing is called Garter Stitch and that is the Plain I spoke about. So you are half way there!

The Purl is when you push the needle in from the front to back towards you instead of from the back of stitch away from you. Hard to explain! If anyone wants to learn -Youtube has some great tutorials on the basics.
Old Posted: 13-10-2009 , 11:59 PM #19
jpmum

thanks for that, i will look it up and might give it a go (might) :)
is there anything you cant do??? lol!
Old Posted: 14-10-2009 , 10:02 AM #20
unapam

Quote:
thanks for that, i will look it up and might give it a go (might) :)
is there anything you cant do??? lol!

Well yes, I can't ballet dance...yet! (belly dance - no problem)

I forgot to say that that scarf can be knit in garter stitch too. If anyone wants I can post up instructions for that version. Suitable for the very basic, beginner knitter.
Old Posted: 14-10-2009 , 12:35 PM #21
aerosol

Homemade shortbread is a easy prezzie to make,great for the kids to help with too.We make just simple'fingers' but you can also get nice festive molds.
aerosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-10-2009 , 10:32 PM #22
minnie pal

Default real serious christmas prob here!

A few people need me to say a huge 'sorry', due to illness i have been very very very tetchy, i think you have got my drift, a bit more than tetchy, er, drifting, into a snowdrift like!
I want to make some clever gifts with sincere thoughts that will be funny too. Not too difficult as the hands dont do so good on te minutae anymorre.
Any ideas. xmas suppose to be a time for forgiveness, whether that will come my way is debateable but where theres life there is hope.
huh, humbug!
xxxminnie pal
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-10-2009 , 11:01 PM #23
dee1

Quote:
Hi all,
father-in-law told us yesterday that we are all to give one homemade pressie this year to them. I havent a clue where to start,have no idea what to do. can anyone give me some ideas???
it cant be big or heavy because there from England and they will need to bring it home with them after they visit. It can either be made,grown..etc but not shop bought(help please)
thanks a lot.

there are some nifty ideas in the before and after pages. christmas wreath, fairies in jars.old cd decorated etc... oh i love j/t. im hooked compleatly...
dee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-10-2009 , 12:22 AM #24
maggied

Default homemade pressies

hi there , seen a post on here were someone used curtain pole rings for christmas tree decorations i have loads to spare ....thanks to recession ....and would love to see them going to good homes , pm your details and i will forward some ,lots to go round . great to put names on and colour co ordinate to specific decor
regards maggie
maggied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-10-2009 , 09:52 AM #25
dragonlady

Default xmas pressies

Hiya, I have made collages from photos, funny ones go down well. also made photo stories on dvd for my kids after their dad died. its something they treasure, makes them laugh, and cry everytime they look at them. all the info is online. at the moment im making patchwork pressies for xmas. just an idea.
dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-10-2009 , 08:49 PM #26
jpmum

love all your ideas,its great, love the patchwork idea too, not very good with a needle and thread and things like that but i really want to start. there isnt a better feeling than making your own things and seeing the results, so looking forward to making something soon :)
thanks to all for your tips, there great,i never would have thought of even half of these,probably none.
thanks
jpmum xxx
Old Posted: 19-10-2009 , 09:35 PM #27
Scrabble

A great website to try is Twopeasinabucket.com. Its an American site and its mostly scrapbook pages people make and upload but if you search "Altered art" there are some great ideas for you to copy. It might even start you on a new hobby.
If you have children you could make a small scrapbook for the grandparents and if the children are old enough they can add their own drawings or handprints to it.
If you are new to crafting some shops have kits with everything included to make it easier for you, eg.glass painting.This could be small candle holders and then you could progress to a large glass vase.

Cross stitching is a great and easy craft to do. You can also buy small kits of these and turn them into anything, eg. keyrings, bookcover, sew onto a cushion. If you google cross stitching you would be amazed at the amount of gifts you can make.
I made these little monsters for two of my "little monsters". I put them in a small frame and they loved them.
Attached Images

Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-10-2009 , 09:52 PM #28
unapam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrabble
A great website to try is Twopeasinabucket.com. Its an American site and its mostly scrapbook pages people make and upload but if you search "Altered art" there are some great ideas for you to copy. It might even start you on a new hobby.
If you have children you could make a small scrapbook for the grandparents and if the children are old enough they can add their own drawings or handprints to it.
If you are new to crafting some shops have kits with everything included to make it easier for you, eg.glass painting.This could be small candle holders and then you could progress to a large glass vase.

Cross stitching is a great and easy craft to do. You can also buy small kits of these and turn them into anything, eg. keyrings, bookcover, sew onto a cushion. If you google cross stitching you would be amazed at the amount of gifts you can make.
I made these little monsters for two of my "little monsters". I put them in a small frame and they loved them.

I have just started my first cross stitch and must agree it is very easy and satisfying to do. Inspiring Ideas in Blanchardstown has small starter kits for 3.50 including everything you need to complete the project.
Old Posted: 19-10-2009 , 10:05 PM #29
unapam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlady
Hiya, I have made collages from photos, funny ones go down well. also made photo stories on dvd for my kids after their dad died. its something they treasure, makes them laugh, and cry everytime they look at them. all the info is online. at the moment im making patchwork pressies for xmas. just an idea.

That's a lovely idea. I made a cushion from my late dad's ties for my mam. He was tie mad and had a huge collection of them.
I used a ready made cushion cover, laid the ties side by side. I had to cut the narrow end of them off and turn under. Then it was just a matter of stitching them in place.

I also have his very old wooden folding carpenter's rule and I bought a shadow box frame to make a vignette with it. I will include some nails screws and wood shavings. Below is a pic of the wooden rule and the shadow box. I will have to remove the flowers from it and cut out the bars across. I will of course be reusing the flowers in some other project. This will be a present for my mam this Christmas. Will post a pic when done.

I also made a photo jar for his grave. A large jar with a favourite photo of him inside along with some plastic/fabric mistletoe and white roses (he died at Christmas) and sealed it up with silicone to keep the rain out. I must take a pic of it to show how easy it is to do.
Attached Images

Old Posted: 20-10-2009 , 10:04 PM #30
unapam

Default Dr Who Scarf!

My husband has just asked me to make him a Dr Who scarf for Christmas. I'd better get going as this thing is about 12 feet long! It will be a great way to use up my oddments of wool although I wll want to keep close to the colours in the original. I found a pattern online and it is so easy - just very long.

Just cast on 65 stitches and garter stitch (plain knit stitch every row) for twelve feet changing colours as shown in photo.
The centre picture shows the colour changes and the third one is the scarf I have started...only 11'3" to go (showing my age with feet and inches)
Attached Images