JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Posted: 03-01-2012 , 07:31 AM #1
durran

Default The find posts by and Find all threads started by buttons are not working

Happy New year.
I miss these buttons, they are handy for keeping track of my current posts.
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 03-01-2012 , 07:47 AM #2
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by durran
Happy New year.
I miss these buttons, they are handy for keeping track of my current posts.
Happy New Year, Durran.

This appears to be a problem with your account, and possibly a few others as well. On my Admin account, I can see your posts/threads, but not on my Test/General Member account. There must be a gremlin somewhere in the works. I'll ask the techies to have a look. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 05-01-2012 , 01:39 AM #3
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by durran
...I miss these buttons, they are handy for keeping track of my current posts.
Hi Durran,

Sorry to report that we have yet to find a fix for this problem. In the meantime, you can find all of your posts on the public forum by typing in your User Name in the "Search Forums" box just below the log-in area, OR click on the Advanced Search button just below that again, and type in your User Name in the box at the top right.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 05-01-2012 , 07:56 AM #4
durran

Hi Chris
Thanks I never thought of using search.
Good thinking
Old Posted: 03-07-2012 , 09:17 AM #5
zag

It's really frustrating not being able to find out who has posted what. It looks like the function only reports threads which are still open and since you close threads after a few days this means that in reality we normally only see a series of 3 or 4 "next", "would love this", etc . . . sort of posts.

When I have stuff to give away I would *far, far, far* prefer to give it to someone who has also given rather than just someone who is hoovering up everything on offer.

While Jumbletown is supposed to be primarily about moving stuff on, I think it should also let people decide who to pass it on to based on their history on the site. Right now there is no effective way to look at someones history.

I did use the search function, but it only seems to show open threads and not closed threads.

I've no problem passing on some stuff to someone who is going to sell it on at a car boot sale or otherwise make money from it, but given a choice I would prefer to give it to someone local and who has a real need rather than someone who drives half way across the country in a van to pick up everything in my house.

When is Jumbletown going to get the history function working again ?

z

[edit] the bottom line is that the way this site works now seems to favour the commercial/hoover rather than the individual user by virtue of hiding their history. I think it should be neutral between both and let the user decide.
Old Posted: 03-07-2012 , 05:22 PM #6
durran

This buttion is working for me now I can see all current posts. Thank you JT.

@zag I'd say they hide history to stop google search getting hung up on things long taken.
Old Posted: 03-07-2012 , 06:54 PM #7
TickTock

I know what Admin. will answer to zag, but I have to say I am in favour of showing the history. But I don't know how you can really tell which taker is in need or not, after all, I could say I am a single parent with half a dozen babbies, unemployed, up to my eyes in debt and with the repo men knocking at the door, and no-one would know if it's true or not. So really, the history suggestion would give an idea of what is really happening.

P.S. Just thought, what if people have more than one identity on the site, the history would not give the true picture, then. Back to the drawing board, zag!

P.P.S. Another thought, the history would also show the journey of a particular item. Some of us have received items, and then passed them on, and so on......that might make interesting reading to see where it finds its final 'home'. (I wanted to put a smiley but there aren't any here!! :))
Old Posted: 03-07-2012 , 10:13 PM #8
zag

You can be pretty sure that people are on here with multiple IDs alright. Just look at all the usernames that end in random numbers. Most people who sign up to something just once will come up with a name of some sort - babyface, smithers, happydad, anything at all without having to resort to "mary17" or "john75"

My original point is that with history I could see that (say) TickTock gave away a sofa in 2011, and has asked for a few things since. That 'give' is an indicator that this person is a contributor in general terms. The lack of a history isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the presence of a history gives some degree of 'cred'.

I'm not saying that I would only give to someone who has given before, but that in a case where everything else is equal I would choose them over a person who hadn't. Right now, all you have to go on is their spiel.

z
Old Posted: 03-07-2012 , 10:46 PM #9
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Hi Guys,

Old ads are removed from the public forum to Admin's Archive, which can only be accessed by Admin. Allowing Members to access this is not technically possible as it would mean giving Members "Admin status" -- this would also give them access to other (secure/private) parts of the website such as the "backend" and the "frontend".

Leaving old ads on the public forum is a possible solution but usually Givers want their ad removed from the public forum (and from general internet search engine access) once their item has been taken. It is not technically possible to remove the Giver's initial post without also removing Takers' posts -- that is, the whole thread has to be removed. (Leaving old ads on the public forum would also mean each forum would consist of 95% Taken items and 5% current items. Admin doesn't favour this solution.)

Re: Members with multiple identities: Some Members may have a personal account and one for a family member or an organisation they represent. Some Members may even have two or three personal accounts. Admin has no way of knowing -- each account has a different email address, and usually only businesses have fixed IP addresses.

Re: Members requesting several items, JumbleTown not being a charity site, Givers being free to give to whomever they want, Givers' desire to pass on to the "truly deserving," selling-on, and the fact that neither Members nor Admin can know the true "needs" of others ... all of these issues are addressed in the following Admin post in the Support Forum (and User Tips post near the top of all the Givers' forums)...here:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=44356

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 04-07-2012 , 12:08 AM #10
TickTock

Thanks Chris, and yes, exactly what I knew you would say and I do of course understand that JT doesn't want to get involved in any more admin than it is already. However, I still have to side with zag. How about this though, at present we can see how many posts we have made, I have 524, and zag has 59, if there was some magic way of counting our gives, takes, and wants, and sharing this information it might go some way towards showing our 'personalities' shall we say, how cool would that be? (And I am seriously too old to be using the term 'cool'). Sometimes I just wanted to be rid of something that another JTr needs, and that's fine, but I would welcome counters for the different posts. Then it begs the question, how to treat the 'chatty' posts which don't come under the three headings? Too much for my head I'm afraid. The JT gremlins would have a field day after what they got up to in the Ulster Bank system!!
Old Posted: 08-07-2012 , 05:49 PM #11
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock
...How about this though, at present we can see how many posts we have made, I have 524, and zag has 59, if there was some magic way of counting our gives, takes, and wants, and sharing this information it might go some way towards showing our 'personalities' shall we say, how cool would that be?
Hi TickTock,

The feedback from the techies is that your suggestion is a non-runner. More pointedly, showing each Member's number of "Gives" and "Takes" would give the impression that JumbleTown is a charity site, which it most definitely is not. As I've stated in my post at the link above:

"Since the inception of the site, our policy has been that all JumbleTowners are regarded as equal. Neither Admin nor Members have any way of determining the “neediness” or otherwise of a Taker."

Also:

"The site’s raison d’etre is primarily to help people free up space by passing on unwanted items. The primary concern of Givers should be the desire to free up space in their home/workplace in an environmental way that helps the community.

Givers who wish for their item not to be sold-on should state this on their ad, but of course, they have no way of knowing the fate of their item once Taken.

If Givers want to be certain that their item goes to a charitable cause or what they may consider to be a 'charity-case', then they should contact their local charities rather than post on JumbleTown."

Details...here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=44356

Thanks again for the feedback, and thanks also for your contribution to life on JumbleTown over the years.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 08-07-2012 , 07:50 PM #12
TickTock

Hi Chris
Thanks for giving my suggestions your consideration, its much appreciated. I was of course already aware of the other thread you mentioned. Just when I saw zag's comments I felt the need to add my tuppence ha'penny worth. I have been giving to charity shops too. The ethos of the site has been the big plus for me always, but the bestest of all is seeing the 'before' and 'after' posts - pure joy!
Old Posted: 08-07-2012 , 08:35 PM #13
Murrayhead

Default Re-'hoovers'

I could be classed as such in regards some of the wonderful items I have picked up here on this site in the last month.

I am currently, (after 5yrs of waiting to get funds together) able to plaster and decorate my upstairs for my three kids and me.
I have picked up on jumbletown wonderful pieces I JUST WOULD NEVER have been able to afford except for this site but to do this I have invested in time, diesel and stress, not to mention let downs to collect these things.
It has been worth it and I will be forever grateful to jumbletown for this.
I have meet some wonderful wonderful people as a result and if I am ever in a position to return these blessings I will gladly do so.
I am a lone parent, getting help off friends and parent to finally have a bit of comfort and beauty in my home. I have tied sofa's and chairs, cabinets and mirrors to my car in wind and rain. Worried over cushions and weather, traffic lanes and twine. Paid sitters and begged friends for van and trailers. If any of the furniture I am no longer needing was in anyway usable or fit to pass on I usually do it locally and have done. My 'history' per se of 'giving' on this site would be very very poor and I feel sad people are trying to discern in this manner.

Should people decide to sell some items at bootsales etc then I again feel it is a process of recycling that goes beyond traditional benefactor/beneficent methods and could be argued balanced out by the fact that some people do not want to pay fees to have items gotten rid of.

Being rude and making decisions on people because of some perceived idea of a person's character whom they have never met is narrow and contrary to the idea behind the set up of this site I would imagine.

There has been a mad rush in my home these last few months to collect bits and bobs to make our space special. I've said before the items collected here have contributed immensely to my kids quality of life and mine. I did feel a 'glip' in my stomach when I read some members comments here and realised I might be seen as a 'taker' and not a 'giver' so in my defence I add this note and hope it goes some way in explaining how this member uses the site and why. I would hate to offend anyone but at my worst I will say what I feel must be said. There is a history and story in every piece I have gathered into my home buttressed by the goodwill and kindness of the person who gave it. If you do not give it kindly then perhaps don't give it at all.

Kind regards all, Murrayhead aka Helen
Old Posted: 08-07-2012 , 09:19 PM #14
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrayhead
I could be classed as such in regards some of the wonderful items I have picked up here on this site in the last month.

I am currently, (after 5yrs of waiting to get funds together) able to plaster and decorate my upstairs for my three kids and me.
I have picked up on jumbletown wonderful pieces I JUST WOULD NEVER have been able to afford except for this site but to do this I have invested in time, diesel and stress, not to mention let downs to collect these things.
It has been worth it and I will be forever grateful to jumbletown for this.
I have meet some wonderful wonderful people as a result and if I am ever in a position to return these blessings I will gladly do so.
I am a lone parent, getting help off friends and parent to finally have a bit of comfort and beauty in my home. I have tied sofa's and chairs, cabinets and mirrors to my car in wind and rain. Worried over cushions and weather, traffic lanes and twine. Paid sitters and begged friends for van and trailers. If any of the furniture I am no longer needing was in anyway usable or fit to pass on I usually do it locally and have done. My 'history' per se of 'giving' on this site would be very very poor and I feel sad people are trying to discern in this manner.

Should people decide to sell some items at bootsales etc then I again feel it is a process of recycling that goes beyond traditional benefactor/beneficent methods and could be argued balanced out by the fact that some people do not want to pay fees to have items gotten rid of.

Being rude and making decisions on people because of some perceived idea of a person's character whom they have never met is narrow and contrary to the idea behind the set up of this site I would imagine.

There has been a mad rush in my home these last few months to collect bits and bobs to make our space special. I've said before the items collected here have contributed immensely to my kids quality of life and mine. I did feel a 'glip' in my stomach when I read some members comments here and realised I might be seen as a 'taker' and not a 'giver' so in my defence I add this note and hope it goes some way in explaining how this member uses the site and why. I would hate to offend anyone but at my worst I will say what I feel must be said. There is a history and story in every piece I have gathered into my home buttressed by the goodwill and kindness of the person who gave it. If you do not give it kindly then perhaps don't give it at all.

Kind regards all, Murrayhead aka Helen
Many thanks Murrayhead for encapsulating the purpose and spirit of JumbleTown in your thoughtful post above.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 08-07-2012 , 10:02 PM #15
zag

I'm sorry if I've come across as rude. That's not my intention.

My concern as a giver is that I have very little context to base my decision on. My request was with a view to *helping* me make a decision as a giver. While many givers simply want things out of their house to the first person to respond, some givers presumably want to be able to give it to one person over another.

If there is not supposed to be a choice of taker, then why does the site allow more than one reply to a post ?

If there is supposed to be a choice of taker, then how are givers supposed to make that choice ? What information is it acceptable to use in the decision ? How do you get that information ? Is history on the site not as good an indicator as anything else ?

z

[edit] there's reference to this issue "being done to death" in previous posts. Does this not indicate perhaps that many givers have similar thoughts ? Maybe these thoughts are valid, given the number of times the discussion comes up.
Closed Thread