Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 12-10-2009 , 06:11 PM #16
BillieT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries-With-That
I still think its a rosary pea, very common in florida, especially the theme parks.

Q. why were you looking at the ground with all those roller coasters around you.

Fries.

Rosary Pea..... Now that sounds better than a weed. Thank you for that Fries. It's also better than a triffid lmao.

Why was I lookin on the ground?? I was under the rollercoaster waiting for the money to fall outa everyones pockets lol .. kidding.

I was actually sheltering from the flippin rain and all the kids were picking up the seed pods and pelting each other with them -So I took the first one that hit me.

Bill D - It wouldnt make any difference looking online - cos even if the mummy plant stood in front of me I wouldnt recognise her. - but thanks for the advice.
BillieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-10-2009 , 12:27 AM #17
Ruthy

Default Triffid?

Yep, it's some type of vetch. Peas are vetches, so if someone thinks its a rosary pea, might be the answer.

Ruth
Ruthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-10-2009 , 09:03 AM #18
The Mammy

Default re plant

Hi
I hope it's not a rosary pea...I googled and this came up

''The rosary pea (Kacang Polong Rosary)may sound sweet and downright pious, but it’s actually one of the most dangerous plants on earth. Its seeds contain a particular lectin known as abrin; if chewed and swallowed, death will follow shortly. The seeds are easily identified with their distinctive bright red jacket and single black dot (almost like a reverse Black Widow spider). Abrin, which does its damage by inactivating ribosomes, is one of the most fatal toxins on earth. After the vomiting, fever, nausea, drooling and G.I. dysfunction but before the bizarre hyperexcitability, edema and fatally convulsive seizures, renal tubular degeneration, bladder and retinal hemorrhage and widespread internal lesions typically develop.''
Attached Images

The Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-10-2009 , 10:57 PM #19
BillieT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mammy
Hi

''The rosary pea (Kacang Polong Rosary)may sound sweet and downright pious, but it’s actually one of the most dangerous plants on earth. Its seeds contain a particular lectin known as abrin; if chewed and swallowed, death will follow shortly. The seeds are easily identified with their distinctive bright red jacket and single black dot (almost like a reverse Black Widow spider). Abrin, which does its damage by inactivating ribosomes, is one of the most fatal toxins on earth. After the vomiting, fever, nausea, drooling and G.I. dysfunction but before the bizarre hyperexcitability, edema and fatally convulsive seizures, renal tubular degeneration, bladder and retinal hemorrhage and widespread internal lesions typically develop.''

Are they the seeds? Those red things? Well if they are then my plant is not the rosary pea..
It DOES look like it though... But the seeds I picked up were like large apple pips.

Oh I'll give it another little while and see how it goes.
Old Posted: 13-10-2009 , 11:07 PM #20
tigerlilly.100

Have you considered e-mailing a pic to the botanic gardens and see if they can tell you??
Could be the ticket, I would advise finding out sooner rather than later just in case, better safe than sorry!! ha ha (sort of)...
...not at all really, especially with some of those affects!!
OHHHH, I shudder at the thought!!
tigerlilly.100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-10-2009 , 09:30 PM #21
Lizzy40

Default Mystery seedling

It looks like part of the pea family, I was going to say it could be a galega, but reading other messages it could well be vetch aswell. Good luck in identifying your mystery plant.
Lizzy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-10-2009 , 09:39 PM #22
summersun

Mammy, Mammy , Mammy, I grew up in Barbados... and this plant was the source of many hours of fantasy and fun for me... they were used as art bits ( still have some of the art work... they are glued to!!!, dolls food, money etc... and i never knew or was never told they are poisonous .... so it just shows you what you never know....

There was also a jumbo version of this plant with lovely bigger seeds!!!

Summersun ...

Any idea if this plant would survive in Ireland???

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mammy
Hi

summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-10-2009 , 09:43 PM #23
summersun

Billie,

Did you notice any long flat brown seed pods about 6 -7 inces long and about 1cm wide???

I will try to get Aidan to take a pic of the seeds i have and the seed pods ... as if its what i think it is , and this plant was rampant in Busch Gardens... its like a mimosa but a wild one with white flowers.... another childhood love of mine which is why i also picked up the seeds and seed pods!!!!

Sunny xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieT
Are they the seeds? Those red things? Well if they are then my plant is not the rosary pea..
It DOES look like it though... But the seeds I picked up were like large apple pips.

Oh I'll give it another little while and see how it goes.
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-11-2009 , 06:31 PM #24
Izzyizzy

Default plant

Hi Billie T,
I think you have a "vetch" there.We have plenty of it growing out in the ditches here and it looks the same as what you have there. Go out into the fields and you will find it.

Happy hunting,
izzyizzy (Pam)
Izzyizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-11-2009 , 06:44 PM #25
Chris P
Administrator

Default The same?

Pic #1 - Hairy Vetch
Pic #2 - BillieT's plant
Attached Images

Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-11-2009 , 06:50 PM #26
BillieT

Default plant

Thats it Chris - thank you - alas now its doesnt matter what the poor dead thing is lol. Now I have this other one that I picked up at the same time .................. lol
Old Posted: 17-11-2009 , 11:42 PM #27
bunnyblueeyes

Default Bunnyblueeyes

Hi Just to let you know ;the plant seedling you are displaying is a Mimosa it is a tender plant but once mature it can withstand the cold it is best kept in a warm place until the bark starts to form, Hope that is of help Bunnyblueeyes
bunnyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-09-2012 , 11:09 AM #28
pp3

Default Plant. I am familiar with it

this is Tamarind. Normally a big tree grown is really warm climate
pp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-09-2012 , 10:44 AM #29
Anne27

Default Foreign Plants

Is it just me or is it not illegal to take fawna/plants into our countries
unless checked??
unknown plants can cause untold damage to our crops/wildlife.

I cant remember all of this quote maybe somebody can finish,its regarding
visiting parks,farms etc,

Leave nothing but footprints,
Take nothing but pictures...............

cheers anne
Anne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-10-2012 , 06:42 PM #30
molly99

could it be a persian silk tree? if so you are in luck as theyre hardy in ireland,

http://ferrebeekeeper.wordpress.com/...ian-silk-tree/
its a pretty tree
molly99 is offline   Reply With Quote