JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 15-10-2012 , 10:38 PM #1
Dusk

Default Help with party ideas please

Hi, I have a birthday coming up very soon for my (soon to be) 11 year old daughter. Has anybody got any ideas for a party that won't cost me a fortune please? I have three birthdays this month, and saving for xmas too like everyone else, so I'm trying to do this as inexpensive as possible.

Thanks in advance for any ideas : )
Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 17-10-2012 , 08:02 PM #2
tudlytops

Hiya!

I always had big parties for my daughter, when she turned 16 she said she didn't want a party and her friends all started to nag her to have one..so i'd say they like then :)

We played various games, and you'd be surprised how no matter how old they are they all love the kids games, like pass the parcel, musical chairs (done with cushions), pin the tail, musical statues and the favorite one, but this will involve most of the house, grab the apple in the bucket of water, treasure hunt...

For the treasure hunt i wrote different clues for everyone, so they didn't just run after each other, this took them around the house and through out the treasure hunt, they find sweets, etc, this means they all get something nice and the first to get to the treasure find a small present...

For all the games i went to the €2 shop and got small things, diaries, funny pens, etc, anything that is appealing to the kids and not expensive...Then i'd wrap the presents and the winner of each game picked one...they were of course allowed to swap...:)

i kept them busy for hours, with breaks between the games to eat and drink something...

And the whole thing never really cost that much...and now the €2 shop its the €1.49 really so cheaper again :)
tudlytops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-10-2012 , 08:05 PM #3
tudlytops

Oh the clues would be something like this...

I beep when ready, what am I?, the answer would be microwave and when they got to the microwave they find another clue that would bring them somewhere else...and so on..

Takes a bit of work, but it was great fun....
tudlytops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-10-2012 , 10:01 PM #4
Sable67

I agree, the Treasure Hunt is a great idea. I did this one year for my son's birthday. There were a few grumbles along the lines of "What type of a party is this, with no bouncy castle?", but those kids didn't get invited back the next year :-).

If her birthday is anywhere near Halloween, maybe you could have a fancy dress party. We've had one every year and adults & kids dress up. In fact the adults get very enthusiastic about it.

The kids love the bobbing for grapes and money, and our speciality the bowl of slime, (Cornflour, water & green food colouring). Again cheapy pressies, €2 packs hair clips/plastic insects etc/magnets etc.

I also had a joint party with my sister for my son & her 2 kids. That saved a bit of money.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the day.
Sable67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-10-2012 , 09:23 PM #5
Dusk

Default ...

Thanks so much for all the lovely suggestions tudlytops, sable and daz. We have decided on anything definite yet but she wants to have her party at home so I think I'll be using all the tip you guys gave. This will be the first one she had at home so should be fun : ) Thanks all.
Daz I did suggest the cinema to her but the list of friends just kept on getting longer and longer so decided it would work out to expensive, thanks for the suggestion though, definitely a good way to give them a great day out and not spend too much.
Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-10-2012 , 10:23 PM #6
trishandfrank

Default Party

Why not bring the Cinema to her?We did this once when my youngest was 12.Closed all the curtains in the sitting room to make it dark,then rearranged the sofas etc round the TV.Hired a really good DVD they all wanted to see and made popcorn,hotdogs and milkshakes.If I remember correctly we had about 10 lads in for the party and they loved it.Had the usual cake etc afterwards,but,10yrs on,they still remember the "movie party"
trishandfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-12-2012 , 10:30 AM #7
jennysmith01

I think you should hire a Bouncy Castles as it is very popular among kids and they are not very costly and apart from this a bouncy castle will bring endless fun and joy to the party. Everyone will enjoy including the parents who watch their children having so much fun. Decide a theme for the party and music according to your guests. I think if you hire cheap bouncy castle for the party then you can save money for the remaining parties.
jennysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-01-2013 , 01:04 AM #8
Numph

Default Party ideas

Instead of a bouncy castle if you have a bit of space around ur house and an outside tap you could invest in water guns - I did it last year and intend ti use for many years to come - doesn't matter if weather not great as they will be wet anyway - it was hilarious to see neighbours kid arrive with huge mac and his own super soaker - The cheap version of paintball !!
Numph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-01-2013 , 09:43 AM #9
purplebranky

Default Shopping spree

Offer her a shopping trip where she gets to choose what to buy, set a budget, well within the cost of a party, has worked a treat in my house and is a great lesson in economics too, also the child doesn't feel deprived of a birthday treat, include a cheap lunch in the deal. This year my daughter brought a friend along, loved the day out and didn't cost a fortune!
purplebranky is offline   Reply With Quote