JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 23-07-2009 , 10:02 PM #1
minnie pal

Default puny raspberry/overgrown fushia/marigolds - help

under a mass of mangled jungle i found a very sad little raspberry plant with a raspberry and a few tiddlers of em on it.
How will i save it, the jungle is in the raised bed which i havent attacked yet. It is the only one i have, raised bed and it seems to have gone wild since last neighbour left.
Fushia though really beautiful is out of place in a raised bed and massive. can i take cuttings and give to those who would like? can I make a fushia bush for a large pot?
marigolds and the raspberries, can i lift and put in pots until i decide where they should go, and if i do, when can i plant them again in the designated place?
questions questions...questions!
xminnie pal.
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 24-07-2009 , 10:28 AM #2
jennie

Hi Minnie Pal,

I know the fushia bush can be used to make smaller ones they grow no problem... my mothers one is gone mad aswell, her's grew from a hedge cutting I got her years ago. I used to cut it back for her every year after all the leaves & flowers had gone, it'd grow back tamer the the next year even so it's very hardy it can be maintained throughout the summer no problem.

The marigolds you can lift them & set them in pots to go where every you like, your not alone some people I know have them out of control on their driveways where they grew from seed, so they're being lifted to go into pots & flower beds.

The Raspberries .... I have no idea!!

Jennie
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-07-2009 , 11:19 AM #3
noni

Default puny plants

Hi,
Its best if you leave the raspberry cane where it is until the Autumn, the cane that has the tiddly fruit on now will turn brown and die off you can then cut it out ( similar to the way Chrysanthemum grow) but you will see new
shoots coming up to take its place. Hope this helps.

The same goes for the Fuschia, you can take plenty of cuttings now, but wait
until Autumn to dig up and put into a pot, make sure the pot has drainage or the plant will get waterlogged and die off!
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-07-2009 , 11:22 AM #4
Ruthy

Default raspberry

The raspberry probably just needs room to breathe, probably just a bit smothered. If you clear space around it so light can get to it it should recover. I would just clear a good bit of space around it so it gets good light, keep it clear, give it some feeding till the autumn.
Ruthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-07-2009 , 01:08 PM #5
minnie pal

Default puny pet overloaded raspberry

It just aint in right spot, the one raised bed i have really gets no light whatsever, its tiny and puny and needs to breed.
As i have not designed the garden well concrete patch as the raised bed is just at the end, that end north facing wall will have to have completely different set of flora.
Its not a sun loving place AT ALL and the drainage is woeful so the drainage prob will have to be sorted first.

Its time now, once outa hospital, to start designing the patch. nice wee article in this weekends irish times suppliment on small urban gardens, gave me some ideas.
I really love the idea of having raspberry canes, and they are nature encourager too, cos i remember as a kid seeing all the insects around the canes when they were taller than i and i snuck in between the rows, meaning to put em in punnets and eating half!!
minnie pal, always grateful for the knowledgeable people here passing on their tips.
xxminnie pal
Old Posted: 26-07-2009 , 01:09 PM #6
minnie pal

Default ***needs to BREATHE***

raspberry needs to BREATHe not breed, but breed it needs to do as well...
minnie pal
Old Posted: 26-07-2009 , 01:38 PM #7
buzzbee

Default raspberry

i would attemt to remove carefully and replant into more suitable space as they say nothing ventured nothing gained.if you chose to try remove it then make sure you use fresh soil and a fruit nutrients in soil that will boost its growing and nurture it back to a healty plant,raspberry love alot of sun and well drained spot where water will not get logged if you know what i mean also best to move it before autum
best of luck
buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-07-2009 , 06:29 PM #8
shanley

Default Raspberry

Hi Minniepal,

just to say that this wasnt a great year round my area for raspberries. I found that there wasnt nearly as much fruit on my bushes as say on the blueberry or indeed the apple trees. I also heard others saying the same. That could be why there isnt much fruit on yours. As has been said they do need space and will spread, also if you have a small area they are not the most attractive fruit bush!!!

The fushias are easy to root I stuck clippings in stony clay and got lots of fushia bushes. Marigolds are annuals so make the best of them this year though there should be no problem potting up.

shanley
shanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-07-2009 , 06:33 PM #9
kilk

i used to have a small corner in garden with a few rasberries, but after a couple of years away i returned to find the whole garden covered with wild rasberries with millions of berries on em. i had to get a track machine to get rid of them, pity i didn't know of jt then! they spread really fast if given a chance.
kilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-09-2009 , 12:22 AM #10
minnie pal

Default spreading wildly

Well so far i have 'mile a minute' which i have got rid of as it hadnt infiltrated any vegetation below the high wall.
I have bishops weed which is to be got rid of but is contained.
and now i have runaway raspberries!!!
crumbs what an inheritance.
I messed up big time on the transplant of these, i think they are no hopers now.
well its a learning curve and still i have to wait until summer to see if they are going to be reborn!!!
xminnie pal
Old Posted: 09-11-2010 , 12:01 AM #11
palminnie1

Default raspberries a year later!

I took em out of the raised bed and into long container pots.
they stuggled and then grew really tall, and very healthy.
tis now november, most of the leaves have died back, the stems are about two feet high.
what next? will i cut down to the base or leave alone.
they are also in a very wettish part of the yard, would i put them in the shed for the winter to stop them rotting.
no use putting them back on the raised bed, thats where they certainly did not flourish.
they had sun all summer long.
really look good, maybe next year we get some fruit?
m
palminnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote