JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 07-09-2012 , 06:20 PM #1
goatie

Default A Thank You Would Be Nice

I have posted a good few things off to JT'ers mostly only costing a stamp or maybe 2 stamps,a couple of times its been E2,ive not asked for postage, now im not wanting a fanfare or a medal,but only one of those people have had the decency to send me a message to say that they have received the item,the rest nothing,those who do send postage always let me know that its been received...im not going to name names,but if they read this they will know who they are.
goatie is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 07-09-2012 , 07:42 PM #2
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

I hear you, Goatie. That's some folks for you!

...and for those who wish to make a public expression of thanks, the "BIG THANK YOU" thread (32 pages long) is located in the Support Forum...here:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/show...=29226&page=32

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-09-2012 , 09:59 PM #3
gillo

I couldn't agree more with goatie here, it really costs nothing to pm someone and thank them for taking the trouble to send them an item and to say they had received it. Likewise, I have often sent stuff to people without even asking for postage costs, or having provided the packaging to send stuff in, while paying however much they had left me short in the required postage, without a quibble, only to never hear anything again! Thank you would be much appreciated! To be honest, attitudes like this has put me off using this site for a long while!

Having said that, there are several people who are very gracious and always message me to say thanks, and I always remember them,and they will get priority for any item I am giving away if they request it! That's the simplest way to deal with it I reckon!
gillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-09-2012 , 10:13 PM #4
goatie

i nearly always get a pm thankyou from jt'ers who have called to my door for items,and those send postage always do,i think i might start asking for postage 1st,i'll get it weighed at the post office,so i'll know how much beforehand,its a shame how a small minority spoil it for the rest.....thats ranting over.......most folk on here are really nice people and a pleasure to do 'business' with
Old Posted: 15-09-2012 , 10:17 PM #5
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillo
I couldn't agree more with goatie here, it really costs nothing to pm someone and thank them for taking the trouble to send them an item and to say they had received it. Likewise, I have often sent stuff to people without even asking for postage costs, or having provided the packaging to send stuff in, while paying however much they had left me short in the required postage, without a quibble, only to never hear anything again! Thank you would be much appreciated! To be honest, attitudes like this has put me off using this site for a long while!

Having said that, there are several people who are very gracious and always message me to say thanks, and I always remember them,and they will get priority for any item I am giving away if they request it! That's the simplest way to deal with it I reckon!
Hi gillo,

I think that most right-thinking people agree with the general sentiment of this thread re: etiquette, but the fact is that folks wouldn't feel aggrieved if they followed the (admittedly uncompromising) advice of Admin, which has always been "Send nothing by post." Details can be found in the second paragraph of an Admin Support Forum post...here:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=60864

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 15-09-2012 , 10:30 PM #6
goatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P
Hi gillo,

I think that most right-thinking people agree with the general sentiment of this thread re: etiquette, but the fact is that folks wouldn't feel aggrieved if they followed the (admittedly uncompromising) advice of Admin, which has always been "Send nothing by post." Details can be found in the second paragraph of an Admin Support Forum post...here:

Regards
Chris P
Admin
yes i know Chris P but something small 'post it off'....but on a nicer note i have met some very nice people 'face to face' on Jumbletown.i always look on JT every day,and if i or my friends have something no longer needed i always put it up,
Old Posted: 15-09-2012 , 10:47 PM #7
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatie
yes i know Chris P but something small 'post it off'....but on a nicer note i have met some very nice people 'face to face' on Jumbletown.i always look on JT every day,and if i or my friends have something no longer needed i always put it up,
I couldn't agree more, goatie -- sending small items by post is a very nice gesture, and one which certainly adds to the friendly and helpful atmosphere that pervades JumbleTown. However, as Admin, we have to be fairly black and white on certain issues, and we realised from the start that sending items by post had the potential to be problematic for both Giver and Taker. Admin's thread at the link in my post above basically says that sending items by post is strictly between Giver and Taker, and that Admin can do nothing if things go awry or if either party feels aggrieved for whatever reason.

Thanks for your support over the years, goatie!

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 16-09-2012 , 12:01 AM #8
gillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P
Hi gillo,

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Chris, the fact is, people wouldn't feel aggrieved if their kind gestures were acknowledged and followed up by a simple pm which takes 5 mins and costs nothing! I know admin are in no way responsible or accountable to what is basically an arrangement made between myself and whoever I am dealing with, I have never suggested otherwise, I just felt I wanted to give my opinion on a post which I fully agreed with, and in doing so, I would hope the people who know why I feel the way I do will understand if their requests for items I may have on offer go ignored!

I am one person who has been very grateful to people who have sent me things by post, and I like to do the same for others, I just was brought up to have basic manners! Unfortunately, as I have found out not everyone thinks the same!
gillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-09-2012 , 12:18 AM #9
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillo
Chris, the fact is, people wouldn't feel aggrieved if their kind gestures were acknowledged and followed up by a simple pm which takes 5 mins and costs nothing! I know admin are in no way responsible or accountable to what is basically an arrangement made between myself and whoever I am dealing with, I have never suggested otherwise, I just felt I wanted to give my opinion on a post which I fully agreed with, and in doing so, I would hope the people who know why I feel the way I do will understand if their requests for items I may have on offer go ignored!

I am one person who has been very grateful to people who have sent me things by post, and I like to do the same for others, I just was brought up to have basic manners! Unfortunately, as I have found out not everyone thinks the same!
Thanks for that, gillo -- points well made!

And for anyone who may need a refresher course in "netiquette", please see our 1 to 10 at the bottom of the following Support Forum post:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=4673

Regards
Chris P
Admin