JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 19-03-2014 , 05:14 PM #31
Pacman

Default Eventually....

.... I've got the four chairs done. At last! In the meantime I've found out that what I did with the table was not the best option. Still and all: I'll know for next time and at least I can put a hot cup of tea straight down on it!
Attached Images

Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-03-2014 , 05:16 PM #32
irishrose

It looks terrific! Well done!
irishrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-03-2014 , 11:29 PM #33
noni

Default oak table and chairs

Well done, they look great!
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-03-2014 , 06:14 PM #34
Gormal

Amazing, I just love the styling of the telephone table, you're very lucky to be able to get fabric at that price, I'm a little jealous..lol
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-03-2014 , 10:28 PM #35
melissabell

My Mum had that exact table when i was a kid and it never looked as good as that!!!! Well done and the chairs are fab really regal looking :)
melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-03-2014 , 09:23 AM #36
Pacman

Many thanks Gormal, noni, irishrose and melissabell. The fabric on the telephone table was in a remnants bin at homefocus Gormal so not at the €3 per meter price but still a good a deal ;-)
Old Posted: 26-05-2014 , 01:55 PM #37
Pacman

Default Thanks to Cherry

Having done the poof, the previous armchair, the Edwardian chairs and been inspired by Cherry (another Jumbletowner), I decided to tackle my couch and an armchair: here are the results.

My advice is to take photos along the way, keep the pieces as a template for when you are cutting your new upholstery, and to write down the sequence you took them off as you will be working the other way putting them back.

Some old couches are much better quality than anything available on the market today so it can be worth looking past that old fashioned material and seeing the shape and structure of the couch beneath. :-)
Attached Images

Old Posted: 26-05-2014 , 02:47 PM #38
irishrose

Absolutely gorgeous! Well done you!
irishrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-05-2014 , 03:53 PM #39
melissabell

Amazing!!!!
melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-05-2014 , 01:27 PM #40
Pacman

Thanks so much: I'm thrilled with the end result. If anyone wants advice on box cushions, piping, supplies etc just message me or leave your question here. Happy to help ;-)
Old Posted: 14-07-2014 , 10:43 AM #41
Cherry

when it comes to the quality of old versus new I couldn't agree with you more... its wonderful Pacman, looks so comfy and inviting, you've done fabulous work updating and reinvigorating a lovely piece of furniture.
really well done!
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-07-2014 , 11:55 PM #42
Pacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry
when it comes to the quality of old versus new I couldn't agree with you more... its wonderful Pacman, looks so comfy and inviting, you've done fabulous work updating and reinvigorating a lovely piece of furniture.
really well done!

And many thanks to you Cherry ;-)
Old Posted: 30-09-2014 , 05:56 PM #43
Teeny38

Just looked through your stuff and it is all absolutely amazing you are really talented!
I have a chair that I bought and said I would redo and and feeling inspired to have a go from looking at your stuff but a couple of questions:

The chair as the 'old' smell - obviously stored somewhere damp, perhaps for quite a while and I have steamed, left out in the air, and made a large lavender sachet to leave on it, but it still smells - any suggestions?
Do you know if the guy might still be at East wall market and if so where is that exactly?!
I had thought of covering over the existing material but by the looks of your perfect stuff, you removed (if they weren't already gone) the old covers -I am nervous of the whole structure falling apart if I do that - any advice welcome!
Measuring it/making a pattern is a huge challenge to me - not the best at the measuring!
of course removing the material might solve the first problem...
thanks for sharing
kind regards
T
Teeny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-10-2014 , 01:57 PM #44
Pacman

Default Go for it Teeny!

Hi Teeny38,

Thanks for your kind comments. I would say to go for it. It is not an easy job but very rewarding.

All chairs need to be stripped back to the wood below and if they are going to fall apart, that bit needs to be repaired: you cannot just have material holding your chair together - it needs to be structurally sound first. You may need to polish up wood etc if it needs it.

It is crucial that you keep all the material that you take off as this will be your pattern. I wrote on the back of pieces what they were and took lots of photos. Make notes too - whatever helps to re-jog your memory on how to put it back together. Whatever comes off last, goes back on first!

They guy in East Wall Market is Kevin and he is there every weekend. All materials are €3 per meter. As you go in the front, he is on the right.

You will probably need filler for your chair too (having no idea what it looks like) but you can get a lot of supplies from Zhivago - http://www.zhivago.ie/ Sorry I took a while to reply - I was away ;-) You could always email me a pic or post it here.

Best of luck with it and don't forget, you have nothing to loose.
Old Posted: 03-10-2014 , 09:44 AM #45
Teeny38

thanks so much, that's brill advice. I will have a go - and keep you posted.
thanks again.
Teeny
Teeny38 is offline   Reply With Quote