Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 05-05-2009 , 03:31 PM #1
lujumble

Default Clay soil

Hi All,

I'm looking for some help with gardening in clay soil. An area of my garden has extremely solid clay soil, it's quite yellow, soft and pliable and very heavy.. is it possible to garden this area? or should I give up and put a raised bed over it? I've tried digging it out, but it's too much. I've attached some pics. Any ideas would be welcome.
Cheers!
Attached Images

lujumble is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 05-05-2009 , 06:17 PM #2
smokeyeyes

Hi Lujumble, This looks like it's sub-soil, it looks like it's below foundation level. If this is the case you won't get anything to grow in it. You would possibly need to put in some small rubble then good top soil on top of it, and if you can get your hands on some good manure compost you could mix it in with top soil. Happy gardening.
smokeyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-05-2009 , 08:19 AM #3
lujumble

Thanks. the blocks you see are the foundation of my glasshouse - I picked a great spot! but it's only in a portion of it, and I can grow in a bag there or follow your advice and it should be ok.

I wonder if there's any use for it? someone mentioned being able to make blocks out of it...
Old Posted: 06-05-2009 , 05:50 PM #4
Ruthy

Default soil

I agree with smokeyeyes, this looks like sub-soil, particularly the colour, and nothing will grow in it (hard lessons learned myself, very expensive). It will be waterlogged in winter, and drown anything planted, and will go rock hard in a dry summer, also killing anything planted. You need to get a good layer of topsoil, preferably several inches (someone has just posted top soil to give away on jumbletown), and then add manure or compost (people give away compost from time to time too and home-made compost is ideal, full of needed biological activity!) and it will improve over time. Its pretty hard to overdo compost or manure when mixed with topsoil, so use as much as you can get hold of (just make sure manure is not fresh, needs to have been sitting a while). I wouldn't even mix the sub-soil in, it adds nothing, just put the topsoil and any compost on top. Worms will do the rest. I just put compost from my composters directly on the soil now and the worms work it in.

Ruth
Ruthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-05-2009 , 10:00 PM #5
sidhe.eire

Default Clay Ovens

Hey :)
Depending on how much sub soil you have, you could make a clay oven to bake bread or pizzas or wotever takes your fancy, im planning on makin one this summer...you can scuplt one into wotever you like, ive seen snails, frogs, birds allsorts their so pretty. People usually put a stone base on them with a little hollow underneath for to keep your wood dry...hope this helps
sidhe.eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-05-2009 , 07:39 AM #6
lujumble

Default Clay Oven

That sounds very interesting, thanks! if you have any information on making them let me know. good luck with yours!
Old Posted: 15-05-2009 , 12:32 PM #7
arancrois

Default Hi

Just seen this on Guntree Free ads for a tonne of topsoil free to give away if it suits you.

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/27/38335927.html
arancrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-05-2009 , 12:41 PM #8
lujumble

Default top soil

Thanks for that... I am definitely in the market for top soil - but I'm in Limerick...
Old Posted: 15-05-2009 , 12:57 PM #9
arancrois

Default Hi

No Probs - didnt know where you are based
arancrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-05-2009 , 11:50 AM #10
sidhe.eire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujumble
That sounds very interesting, thanks! if you have any information on making them let me know. good luck with yours!

I might get to build it if the rain ever stops!!

Check out this website:
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com/howtobueaovb.html

Regards,

Sidhe.eire
sidhe.eire is offline   Reply With Quote