JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 26-10-2009 , 11:08 PM #1
TickTock

Default Furniture Restoration - Tips & Courses?

I am well impressed with all the talent in the "Before & After" forum. Unfortunately I don't have any of those skills so I can't share anything with you. I have a couple of old bits and pieces and I haven't a clue what to do with them. Anyone know where I can do a course in Dublin?
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 26-10-2009 , 11:20 PM #2
dee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock
I am well impressed with all the talent here. Unfortunately I don't have any of those skills so I can't share anything with you. I have a couple of old bits and pieces and I haven't a clue what to do with them. Anyone know where I can do a course in Dublin?

Hey TickTock, do what most of us do, borrow from other peoples ideas,and ask in forum for ideas and instructions,worth a try, and you never know you might unlock a skill you thought you never had..Most people are pretty obliging for the asking. As for a course in dublin, maybe someone else could help you out there ,I honestly wouldn't know,sorry...Whatever you decide good luck in your venture and I wish you well...dee1.
dee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-10-2009 , 05:28 PM #3
unapam

Default Tips and Ideas

Hi, you could try what I do a lot of....Go on to Youtube.com and you can find out how do do ANYTHING from icing a wedding cake to plastering a wall - or knitting or woodwork. Best thing to do is type in the search box...."building a birdhouse tutorial" or whatever tutorial. Tutorial is the magic word in getting detailed instructions for making or doing almost anything you could want.

Good luck with whatever you find you can do after all! ...Unapam
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-10-2009 , 12:27 PM #4
TickTock

Default Furniture Restoration

Thanks Unapam and dee1 for your advice. So sensible, I dunno why I didn't think of it meself!! Sorry for not getting back sooner as funny thing, your comments don't show until I click 'show printable version', and there they were! I don't have the time at present as I'm studying, just thinking ahead. Thanks again.
Old Posted: 28-10-2009 , 01:02 PM #5
Ruthy

Default furniture restoration

I'm doing a furniture restoration course at the moment in Ballymun comprehensive which is pretty good!
Ruthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-11-2009 , 01:44 PM #6
TickTock

Hi Ruthy
How is the course going? Could you tell me what is involved? Do they have pieces for you to work on or do you bring your own? Do you need a qualification in art for it? I'm on a one year course and I hope to have some options next year and keeping things at the back of my mind to do if I can't get any work.
Old Posted: 10-11-2009 , 05:39 PM #7
Ruthy

Default furniture restoration

It's going fine. They could provide a piece for you, but I'm not sure if you could then keep it, they have a furniture restoration project going and it might go back to there, not sure. I brought my own chair, as far as I know everyone brought their own piece. You can leave it in a storeroom between classes so you don't have to keep bringing it backward and forwards each week. The instructor advises you each week what to do next. If you do want to bring it home and keep working between classes that's fine, and the work would go faster. You don't need any qualifications!

Ruth
Ruthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-11-2009 , 07:40 PM #8
TickTock

Thanks for the info Ruthy. I'll check it out for next year.