JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Posted: 16-08-2008 , 01:15 PM #1
chakes

Default How to have a nice smelling house?????

Hi All

A quick question:

I have dogs & cats in my house and during this weather the smell can get quite doggy - anyone who has wet dogs in the house will know .

Does anyone know of a nice houseplant or chemical free way to have a nice smell in the house?

I am not fond of those smelly oils - they never work!!!

Thanks
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 16-08-2008 , 01:21 PM #2
Tabitharose

living with 2 dogs & 4 cats (and that's only when there aren't additional foster animals here) I know exactly what you mean.... I always use Yankee Candles either the candles or the wax tarts & wouldn't be without them :)
Old Posted: 16-08-2008 , 01:46 PM #3
amethyst

Default Re smelly house

Hi Chakes,
Use the real essential oils, not those cheap fragrance ones.
I have great success with Tea Tree , a powerful antiseptic and also Rosemary.
Bergamot or Lemon really freshens the room.
Give them a try.
Regards,
Amethyst.
Old Posted: 16-08-2008 , 01:51 PM #4
Fizzywitch

I have 1 dog and 5 cats so I too know about trying to get rid of smells in the house.
I use a small tub of bicarbonate of soda (or bread soda) and about 20 drops of pure essential oils mix up and sprinkle on carpets and leave for 30 minutes then vacuum off.
The bread soda takes out the smell and the oil adds a nice fragrance.

Also I make up a spray bottle with clothes conditioner (I use ecover as it is environmentally friendly) just add about an egg cup full and then top up with water. Shake before each use and this can be used to spray on curtains, rugs, fabric settees etc.
Also it refreshes bedding with a quick spray!

Hope this is of some help
Old Posted: 16-08-2008 , 01:53 PM #5
Jayjay

No pet smells here - I feed organic home cooked food, no grains or cheap petfood. For treats and as training aids I feed Orijen as I have got too lazy too bake pet biscuits.

My pets don't like fragrance oils etc..
Old Posted: 16-08-2008 , 01:58 PM #6
chakes

Thanks so much for all your ideas.

Jayjay - how does the wet weather not make your dogs smell? Mine don't smell as a result of the food I feed them. Its just their natural dog smell which is really emphasised when their coat is wet.

My kittens litter tray is also in the house and although its changed frequently it still smells.

Whats difference between cheap oils and the pure oils? What do I do with the oils that will make their smell last longer?

Thanks
Old Posted: 16-08-2008 , 02:07 PM #7
Jayjay

Hey Chakes,

I have a very hairy dog, he never has that particular dog smell. Occasionally after Dublin bay beach he smells and needs to be rinsed off. Other than that I rub him dry-ish with a towel.
I am convinced the smell, also mouth odour often found in dogs, is from foods.

Thank goodness the cat-loo does not smell. I buy cheap litter from Lidl and sometimes wash the whole thing out.
Old Posted: 16-08-2008 , 02:18 PM #8
Tabitharose

I feed my pets a natural holistic pet food - but when labs have been swimming or have gotten wet in the rain they smell of wet dog....

I use bread soda when hoovering too - never thought of adding essential oils to it - must give it a go!!!
Old Posted: 16-08-2008 , 02:47 PM #9
amethyst

Default Re Smelly House,

Hi Chakes,
Real essential oils are extracted from their natural source.
For example, Tea Tree comes from the actual tree.
No bulking agents, chemicals, or artificial fragrance.
Use oil in an oil burner, about 10 drops depending on how strong a fragrance you want.
Regards,
Amethyst.
Old Posted: 16-08-2008 , 04:15 PM #10
chakes

Thanks so much for all the helpful advise.
Old Posted: 19-08-2008 , 05:19 PM #11
citygirl

Try using the "Crystals" cat litter. It looks like white crystals with blue bits through it. It turns yellow as the cat uses it. It absorbs the smell and does not clump, there is no smell at all from it. It is not easy to get but Petmania have it. There are a few different brands.
I also don't have any carpets or rugs and have throws on the furniture which I wash regularly.
Old Posted: 19-08-2008 , 07:50 PM #12
bings

Default smell

Hi my house smells of wet dog and I have used just about everything to get rid of the smell from fabric sprays, air freshners, candels, oils and notheing really works. I am now using avon air freshner spray. that seems to work.
Old Posted: 20-08-2008 , 10:23 AM #13
jumblecatlady

Default Onions!

An onion cut in 2 and left in a room absorbs smells well too. You need to change it every few days, but it is cheap and effective.

I have heard that frankensince (sp???) essential oil is great for animal smells but have yet to try it myself!

I also mop my floors with a vinegar solution regularly - its a great natural disinfectant, harmless to animals if they walk on it, and clears away any lingering smells really well.

Best of luck with it!
Old Posted: 20-08-2008 , 10:41 AM #14
bings

Default nice smell hse

I forgot to say that not only does my house smell of wet dog. But my dog at the moment has a problem with farting it is going on for days. I just had him with the vet and the receptionist was trying to not laugh when I was explaining the problem. But the smile was on the other side of her face and we nearly emptied the reception when he let rip. I am laughing but it is not really funny. The vet said that it will sort itself out. We have changed nothing in his diet. We are now waiting for test results.
Old Posted: 20-08-2008 , 02:46 PM #15
kezzad

Default smelly dog!!!!z

i have 3 rescue dogs and the latest edition is a total farter too!!!!! my god it is rancid, he would make a brilliant bouncer at the local at kicking out time!!!! i have after many months of trying found a food that has thankfully cut the farting down, and i find that if he only gets his set diet everyday with no tip bits or left overs it is quite minimal, this can be hard as my dogs live like part ofthe family and i feel guilty not sharing. but to save my nostrils and every1 around me thats the way it is and it works..... give it a go!!!! good luck :-)
Closed Thread