JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 07:55 PM #1
kiara

Default Double glazing

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.
I recently moved into a council house which has old wooden windows and doors and I know I'm losing alot of heat, also there's a serious draught under the front door.
I asked in my local council office about having these replaced with double glazing (which I thought they had to do with regulations about energy conservation etc) only to be told I'd have to pay for it myself!
The way I see it I pay rent so they're my landlord why would I have to pay for this?
Does anyone know what my rights are and how I'd go about enforcing them?
Thanks in advance, Kiara x
kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 08:13 PM #2
trigger

hi kiara i dont have any information for you but you could try your local citizen information centre and they will point you in the right direction. good luck.
trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 09:12 PM #3
gillo

Hi, Kiara, I'm nearly sure you are right here, they, as the landlord are obliged by the new law to make the property as energy efficient as possible. If you get nowhere, I would sugges talking to your local TD, elections coming up soon and all that. Good luck anyway
gillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 09:25 PM #4
misstake

Default double glazing

all i can say is i had to ut mine in myself also central heating as there was none here i got nothing back but a rent increase lol
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 09:28 PM #5
Linn

My Hubby works for a county council and i asked him and he said by law as they are your landlord and you are paying rent they have to replace them with no charge to you. He said the only way you'd have to pay is if you bought the house of the council.
Go back up and give them grief lol.
Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 09:35 PM #6
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linn
My Hubby works for a county council and i asked him and he said by law as they are your landlord and you are paying rent they have to replace them with no charge to you. He said the only way you'd have to pay is if you bought the house of the council.
Go back up and give them grief lol.

Thank you Linn, I really don't want to have to hassle the local councillors again so soon! I got my house with alot of help from Fianna geal's Johnny Flynn and the Green Party's Donal O'Bearra (who isn't running this year?) I also wrote to and phoned the council every week for months, the woman in the office more or less told me that they gave me a house to make me go away lol! I will do this again if I have to but it's draining and stressful and I'd rather not have to. Would citizens advice (or any other organisation) do this on my behalf and maybe make it happen faster? Kiara x
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 09:38 PM #7
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstake
all i can say is i had to ut mine in myself also central heating as there was none here i got nothing back but a rent increase lol

I'm actually luckier than some people that I know, I have a stove that heats the radiators and my attic is packed with insulation. I know a few girls that were charged 2000euro for their windows and doors and had to pay them off weekly with their rent! This can't be right?
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 09:43 PM #8
gillo

Just point out the law as and from the 1st January this year. They really are obliged to make the place as energy efficient as they can and double glazing is pretty basic. Try the citizens advice, at least they can advise the best way to go about it, but remember Kiara, you got the house simply because yo are entitled to it, albeit with the help of the local politicians. It is their job as your representative after all. Don't stand for any fobbing off. Good luck in your quest
gillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 09:44 PM #9
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillo
Just point out the law as and from the 1st January this year. They really are obliged to make the place as energy efficient as they can and double glazing is pretty basic. Try the citizens advice, at least they can advise the best way to go about it, but remember Kiara, you got the house simply because yo are entitled to it, albeit with the help of the local politicians. It is their job as your representative after all. Don't stand for any fobbing off. Good luck in your quest

Thank you Gillo, I'll go back tomorrow and let ye know how I get on, Kiara x
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 10:09 PM #10
xmillyx2007

Default Double glazing

I know that there was plans to give all council houses central heating and double glazing because i over heard a conversation one day between council workers...
As far as i know they have to go by the people living in council accomadation years with no central heating or double glaze either, the council have to work there way down the list by updating oldest houses first but i know that there was a problem with funds and they've cut back on every thing espicailly heating and double glazing.
But there's no way of getting anything onless you ask (pester) them, thats just my oppinion.
But best of luck, Milly.
xmillyx2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-02-2009 , 05:42 AM #11
nanonano

Can you get a solliciter to write a letter for you? I don't know how it works with the cost but you might be standing a little stronger.
nanonano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-03-2009 , 10:53 PM #12
kiara

OK so I've been told that I will have to wait about 6 weeks for someone to come and check my windows and doors, if they say they need replacing it will be done, otherwise I have to pay half the cost upfront and the other half off weekly on my rent! Total cost being approx 2000euro!!!!
Old Posted: 17-03-2009 , 12:30 AM #13
katga

Default Double-glazing

Hi Kiara

If all landlords are responsible for bringing their properties up to new standards, then this should not exclude county councils, and therefore they should have to pay for it. However you should check with the department of environment. You could try sending an email to the Minister for Environment.
Good Luck!

Katga
katga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-06-2010 , 08:01 PM #14
kiara

Amazing that a year and 3 months since the last post, I still do not have my double glazing! They have actually told me that even if they are responsible (not admitting that they are) they don't have money and I'm just supposed to accept this??? Is it worth seeing a solicitor?
Old Posted: 08-07-2010 , 06:00 PM #15
tigerlilly.100

Default Double Glazing and Landlords.

Hi Kiara, I think you could ring a solisitor over the phone for quick advisement, and they will only charge you if they go ahead with writing them a letter, worth a try even for the research and info.
Good Luck, I hope you get sorted before the winter.
tigerlilly.100 is offline   Reply With Quote