JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 17-03-2010 , 06:30 PM #1
insanechicken

Default Advice on buying a sewing machine

Hi all, would any of you crafty ladies out there be able to advise me where I could get a good sewing machine. Nothing too fancy required just a decent durable model. Any ideas on models to go for or where to get good value in Offaly, Galway or around Athlone would be brilliant. Thanks for Reading ladies
insanechicken is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 17-03-2010 , 06:40 PM #2
Angelsfishingrod

Default sewing Machine,

Hi there,
Well, have you had alook in Argos?? think theres some in there, pretty reasonable, and you have come back.
Good makes would cost a lot, if you are a beginner, then maybe a basic one would suit you.. There are machines that do everything!! I purchased mine in Aldi!! was under €100, and does loads of stitches even I cannot use them! too advanced..
Makes Brother/ Singer are good makes.
I bought a Jones when I was 16! and it was still working after 30yrs!! amazing, just oil it now and again, clean it. will go for every.
The cheapest in |Argos is €85 and it does 12 stitches! and buttonholes.. thats pretty good value.
Look on the Net too for other offers.
Good luck happy sewing!
Fi :)
Angelsfishingrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-03-2010 , 08:37 PM #3
Gormal

Lidl's had Singer machines in a while back, maybe they'll get them in again think they were around €80. Even if they have loads of stitches you'll use them eventually.
I've got a Toyota and so long as I keep it fluff free it doesn't give me any trouble.
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-03-2010 , 08:14 AM #4
insanechicken

Default Advice

Thanks for the advice - ya i've looked at argos but i don't know enough about them to know if it's false economy going for the argos value range one as opposed to the singer one?

thanks!
Old Posted: 18-03-2010 , 03:54 PM #5
mw100860

Default sewing machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanechicken
Thanks for the advice - ya i've looked at argos but i don't know enough about them to know if it's false economy going for the argos value range one as opposed to the singer one?

thanks!
Saw one-BROTHER make - for sale on Gumtree yesterday for E70. Only used a few times and situated in Wexford
mw100860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-03-2010 , 04:10 PM #6
misstake

Default sewing machine

Ibought mine in LIDEL it was just over seventy euro After using my old one for over 30 years i found this one great the instruction manuel is very easy to read and follow so i recomend it Mine now 4 years and still works great and they had them in the store not long ago at the same price
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-03-2010 , 04:18 PM #7
Angelsfishingrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw100860
Saw one-BROTHER make - for sale on Gumtree yesterday for E70. Only used a few times and situated in Wexford
WoW,, Thats cheap,, and great make.. go for it!!
Angelsfishingrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-03-2010 , 11:07 PM #8
Gormal

Just to let you know Lidl's are getting Silvercrest machines in on monday 29th for €69.99 with more stitches that we know what to do with.
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-03-2010 , 10:42 AM #9
insanechicken

Default lidl

Hi All,

thanks a million for your help! Gormal - thanks for thinking of me - that one looks pretty good!
Old Posted: 14-05-2010 , 08:11 AM #10
stars1

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanechicken
Hi all, would any of you crafty ladies out there be able to advise me where I could get a good sewing machine. Nothing too fancy required just a decent durable model. Any ideas on models to go for or where to get good value in Offaly, Galway or around Athlone would be brilliant. Thanks for Reading ladies

My VERY first sewing machine was a BSM (British Sewing Machinery) and it was operated by turning a handle attached to the wheel on the end of the machine.
I made dolls clothes and quilts and even did mending for my own kids later on with this little beauty.

Any machine will do your job - just make sure to read and understand your manual and look after it accordingly.

The Brother machine that was designed for Project Runway is a super machine for the $400 price tag. That's definitely the one I'd recommend first.

If you like shipping online, then take a look at these: http://kens-sewing-vacuum-center.ama...B001I45WT6.htm
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a
http://www.sourcingmap.com/desktop-h...te-p-4591.html

Gook luck!
stars1 is offline   Reply With Quote