JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 11:42 AM #1
kila2008

Default Budget Wedding Tips!

Hi, after posting a reply to a request in the "wanted" section from a JT user looking for wedding stuff, I received a message from another JT user suggesting that I start a thread in this section. Due to the recession, quite a few couples are now trying to cut-down on the huge, ridiculous costs relating to getting married. This thread is proposed to suggest ideas on how couples can get married, with out spending an absolute fortune, yet without compromising on the attention to detail. I know that there are other wedding-related forums on the web, however I want this thread to be more about what couples can DIY using recycled materials, repurposed items, kind donations of items from JT users, etc

Any suggestions/contributions welcome!
kila2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 12:15 PM #2
Elnr83

Default That was me!!!

I noticed the threads you had left for other people who were getting married and I thought I could pick your brains about all your wonderful money saving ideas.

Some you have given me already are brilliant. I'm sure lots of other people could really benefit from them also.

And I thought that there would be loads of DIYers on here who could add in their ideas.

Weddings are so rediculously expensive and they needn't be. There is so much that can be done for cheaper.

A really nice idea I heard of for favours was a little envelope filled with flower seeds with a poem about love growing like a flower on the front. It would be really cheap to do also :o)

REALLY looking forward to all your DIY ideas.
Elnr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 02:18 PM #3
unapam

Default weddings

What a great idea!

Oxfam in Dublin city centre have new samples of wedding dresses for a fraction of the normal price. I think you have to book in advance as it is upstairs in a proper wedding salon.
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 02:40 PM #4
Elnr83

I've heard of the Oxfam shop alright.

I'll definitely be checking it out. You do need to make an appointment though :o)
Elnr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 03:27 PM #5
tasmin

Default flowers on a budget

hi all,

if ur getting married on a budget, why dont u make paper flowers....it should cost less than 70e

my aunt used to make these long before the fresh flowers came into fashion, and i must say, they were beautiful!!!!

i bought fresh flowers which cost 400e...money that could have been spent on other things.
and stressed myself out to bits worrying about money

all u need is crepe paper in whatever colour u need.
tin foil
paper doilies
and wire.
and a bit of time to do these

sounds like it would look awful, but they truely lovely and look just as nice in the photos.

if i find my sis's wedding photo i will post it and show u what they look like.

all the best,

tas

hi all, i've been meaning to do these as i said i would.
anyway i did a rough idea of the paper flowers, now dont judge just by these as with rippon,and fern, and more flowers of course these can look fab.

tas
Attached Images

tasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 03:43 PM #6
TheBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnr83
I've heard of the Oxfam shop alright.

I'll definitely be checking it out. You do need to make an appointment though :o)
I believe Barnardos also have a similar set-up in Dun Laoghaire; again you have to make an appointment.

A cheaper way to do the invitations is to buy the pieces and put them together yourself. You get a template, the paper and ribbon required, you do the printing yourself. Much cheaper than getting someone else to put them together for you. Same with the mass booklet, if you're having one. An example of a website that has invitations, booklets and more (car ribbon, flowers, place cards, ring cushions...) is here - diyweddings.ie.
TheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 03:51 PM #7
Bubbles2

Default Cost saving ideas

At a wedding I was invited to recently the couple provided a disposable camera on each table and the guests then took photos of the guests at their table. I thought it was really lovely as they would be original and not as posed looking like you get with professional photographers (not meaning to insult any professional photographers out there) but you know what I mean.
Bubbles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 04:19 PM #8
kiara

im really looking forward to pics of paper flowers, getting married next year and saving is becoming impossible!
kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 07:55 PM #9
kila2008

Tips I have gained from my last few months as a member of various wedding forums:

Venue/Meal:
- Midweek weddings are generally cheaper and most venues will throw in extras for free to get the business.
- Off peak weddings (Early Spring, Autumn) are cheaper.
- Try to find a venue that will allow to bring in your own wine, ie charge low corkage fees. This allows you to purchase your own alcohol in Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, Northern Ireland and make huge savings
-Haggle as much as possible to get the best deal you can - if you are booking your wedding way in advance - try to get the hotel to agree to a price when you are booking as hotels tend to put prices up each year
- Buffet meals work out cheaper per head
- Perhaps serve your wedding cake/dessert as the one course, ie cut out the need for both

Invitations:
- DIY all the way...bulk buy cheap card blanks. Ebay is great for ribbon (I have both from two really good suppliers so far, one in Co. Louth and the other in Malaysia - both great sellers) and other bits and pieces.
- Personalise the invitations to suit your personalities as your guests will excuse an amateur crafting attempts if they are personal to you both.
- Christmas wedding - use xmas cards as invites
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 08:02 PM #10
kila2008

FLOWERS:
- If you're getting a florist, get them to do the bare minimum as you can always add to it with your own arrangements or candles
- Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, etc stock nice flowers that can be easily turned into nice arrangements. Find someone with a shrub addiction (like my mum has) and arrange with them to let you give their shrubs a good haircut - this will act as greenery (and its free) - you can fill in with flowers - keep the colour theme simple if you're an amateur like me!
- www.flowersforflorists.com - if you decide to go for it and do all your flowers yourself. Minimum order of €150 (I think) but flowers delivered to your door from wholesalers in Holland. Otherwise, Smithfield Market in Dublin is apparently the place to go, but go early. Two visits advisable - one to suss out what you want and place your order, second visit to collect. - www.youtube.com for videos giving you instructions for how to make your bouquets, arrangements, etc
- Ebay for your flower arranging essentials - oasis, trays, ribbon, diamante pins for the centre of your roses (if you want to go all fancy)
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 08:09 PM #11
kila2008

CAKE:
- If you want a wedding cake, they can work out quite expensive - get baker to make a smaller cake and then a separate cutting cake that can be cut and served in the kitchen out of guests view - works out cheaper
- Add some fake tiers - polystyrene as far as I know that are iced as normal - used to make your cake look bigger
- Make your own - enrol the help of any family members or friends that have any baking skills - remember a xmas fruit cake that mammy makes every year is basically a wedding cake tier!!!
- If going the DIY route and short of baking skills - the answer is a "cupcake tower" - get some pretty cupcake cases off Ebay or there is a shop off Grafton St. in Dublin - bake some cupcakes (buns/queen cakes/etc)...loads of recipes on the web - ice them and you can get a cupcake tower stand off Ebay or make your own using old plates and a metal rod (instructions on the web....cant remember the exact website, but should be easy to find)
- Marks & Spencers apparently do ready to eat, reasonably-priced wedding cakes!
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 08:18 PM #12
kila2008

PHOTOGRAPHY:
- Shop around to get a good quote - remember most photographers offer different packages at different prices - you might be able to get them to just take the shots you feel are essential
- Get a photography student - go for one that is nearly finished their course or newly graduated that is interested in doing a nixer.
- Get a family member/friend with a good camera to take the pics for you
- Provide disposable cameras as previous poster suggested - remember quality of some disposable cameras can be a bit dodgy though
- Get some cheap blank cd's - put 1-2 in envelopes on each table with your address and a stamp on the envelope - ask your guests to take the cd home, put the pics from their digital cameras onto the cd and pop them in the post back to you.
- Provide a website address for one of those photo-sharing websites where guests can upload the pics they take of the wedding for you to access

VIDEOGRAPHY
- Although it is an extra cost, I personally feel that it is essential as the day will fly by soooo quickly and the photos will only capture particular moments in time
- Hire a videographer to capture certain parts of the day - vows, cutting the cake, first dance, etc
- Get family members/friends with camcorders to capture the day for you - get a few different people to do this and you can make your own entire video of the day by editing the best bits of the different camcorder tapes
- Get a film student to do a nixer!
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 08:22 PM #13
kila2008

HAIR/MAKEUP:
- DIY
- Family member/friend to do it for you
- Trainee hairdresser/beautician to do it

ENTERTAINMENT:
- Get a DJ to cover the entire reception instead of a band and a DJ - this will save you money
- Get a band that is not known specifically as a wedding band - you should be able to get a good band without paying "wedding" prices
- Church/ceremony music - get family/friends/work colleagues...anyone that can play an instrument or sing (actually sing when sober, not the ones that will be singing by the end of the night!!)
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 08:34 PM #14
kila2008

DRESSES:

Bridesmaid:
- Ebay
- Buy and sell on wedding forum websites
- Choose a colour theme and allow bridesmaids to wear dresses they already have in this colour...for example, a lot of women have little black dresses - you could always add a coloured ribbon to co-ordinate them all.
- High street shops
- January sales....particularly in Monsoon, Debenhams, TK Maxx - a lot of shops have cocktail dresses in stock for xmas and might still have some left over!
- Order from the US - if necessary try on the dresses in shops here at home and then order the same style off the web.

Bride:
- Buy a preloved gown from Ebay, buy and sell on wedding forums, charity bridal shops.
- If you really want a new dress - go to sample sales, order from the US
- Get your mum's or grandmother's wedding dress and get it altered - if its a nice vintage style, just alter it to fit. If its really out of date, see if you can find someone that will alter is cheaply to give it a nice modern twist.
- January sales!
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 08:40 PM #15
mrsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kila2008
Invitations:
- DIY all the way...bulk buy cheap card blanks. Ebay is great for ribbon (I have both from two really good suppliers so far, one in Co. Louth and the other in Malaysia - both great sellers) and other bits and pieces.
- Personalise the invitations to suit your personalities as your guests will excuse an amateur crafting attempts if they are personal to you both.
- Christmas wedding - use xmas cards as invites

Try http://www.easycraft.com/ for invitation card making, ribbon etc. Delivers from Malaysia but cheaper than anywhere around. Sells in € too.
mrsl is offline   Reply With Quote