JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 03-04-2009 , 06:44 PM #1
jennie

Default Really Old Layered Wallpaper- How to get rid!

Hi,

Well here is it, the previous owner was a wallpaper freak, every room had wallpaper... not just one layer but anything from 1-5 layers. Plus anywhere there was holes or dints in the walls she put extra wallpaper over them!

The colours are horrible! I've managed to get the sitting room, main bedroom & ensuite paper free.

Heres the problem, the little spare room has 3 layers of wallpaper plus loads of border & the room stinks from the wallpaper thanks to the warm weather. Oddly it isn't lifting from the walls that easy & the paper backing of it isn't lifting even when soaked!

I know a lot of you are going to say use a steamer, but I can't as they cause bulges & cracks in the plaster no matter how careful you are in this house, so if anyone knows of anything to ease the hassle on me plleeeeaase let me know.

Kind Regards,
Jennie

I'm off to see why the Icecream man is out with his van all lit up & playing the tune.... when it's lashing rain!
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 03-04-2009 , 06:51 PM #2
misstake

Default wall paper

get me a 99 please lol My way was washing up liquid mixed with water leave to soak then it came off well not to bad but my sister got one of those steam cleaners and that worked a treat Hope this helps
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-04-2009 , 08:01 PM #3
nono

Default Wallpaper

Hi Jennie,

Atlantic Homecare have a bottle of Wallpaper Stripper. You rub over the wallpaper with a wire brush, then apply the wallpaper stripper, leave for awhile to soak and hey presto it lifts off a lot easier. (I found it great when you have layers of paper) Its also great for those clingy little bits that are always left on the wall when you're finished. They sell in a bottle you have to dilute yourself or a spray which is already mixed but is a little dearer. I used to use the spray but dont have anywhere wallpapered now.
nono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-04-2009 , 07:36 AM #4
Costellon

Default Wallpaper

Hi Jennie,

I had exactly the same problem as you regarding a wallpaper steamer causing bulges in the plaster and seperating it from the wall but I found a handy enough way to strip wallpaper without steam. There are a few ways of doing it but this is what I did. Get a wood saw and use the blade to gently score the paper (not too deep, you don't want to scratch the plaster underneath). I put the saw blade (tooth side) against the wall at 90 degrees and gently drag it down the wall whilst holding it by the metal part and the handle, understand ? Then wet the paper with warm soapy water with a cloth or sponge, I would wet it a few times and use a scraper to scrape it off. Rather than using a saw, there is a little palm held device that you would find in most diy shops, a tiger paw I think they call them, normally for under a tenner. Either method basically works by allowing the water to penetrate into all of the layers of paper.

Hope this helps
Costellon is offline   Reply With Quote