JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 06:36 PM #1
BillieT

Default cot mattresses - should they be life-cycled/re-used?

I am a bit concerned about people recycling cot mattresses. As far as I remember, cot mattresses should not be passed on unless it's with the cot it was originally made for. and even then, aparently, its a bit dodgy. I remember Ann Diamond speaking about it a number of years ago.

I just wanted to say, please be careful with secondhand mattresses and if you are thinking of using one - then google it or something - just check it out first. And I dont mean to scare anyone either.
BillieT is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 06:58 PM #2
roo12

Default cot mattress

Your right a new mattress is recomended for each child .... its fine to use the same cot but to replace the mattress
roo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 07:11 PM #3
paprika

I've heard it elsewhere too, but actually why?
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 07:41 PM #4
jenniferalan

very good point. I always wondered why too. I googled it and got this article from the Independent from 1995. It is worth reading

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/co...l-1524402.html
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 07:45 PM #5
lislaw

This is actually something that has bothered me for a while now on JT. Cot mattressess should NOT be reused and there is a very good reason.
It's got to do with urine/faeces and vomit trapped in the fibres, which then releases toxins which may be a factor in SID (Sudden Infant Death) Syndrome.
A lot of the newer mattresses have removable covers for ease of cleaning but even these are not recommended to be used for more than one child.
It doesn't matter how often you clean the mattress/cover it is still not recommended to reuse a child's mattress.
I know babies are expensive - I've done it twice now - and I'm not trying to be melodramatic here, but surely a mattress is a small price to pay when it comes down to a factor which could be the difference between life and death.
IMO, cot mattresses should be banned from JT, or at least not included in the baby/child section. Obviously they can be used for other things - we used our first one for the dogs bed and the second was used for padding in the van when my hubby transported motorbikes. But I do think that Admin should consider this issue and possibly check the facts and maybe just place a sticky warning up on the relevant section.

**phew, between the time I'd read the thread and posted my reply the previous reply had been posted. But that's exactly what I was talking about**
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 07:52 PM #6
Eily

Hi, I agree with Lislaw, this information is correct and maybe they should be banned from the site?
Eily

Quote:
Originally Posted by lislaw
This is actually something that has bothered me for a while now on JT. Cot mattressess should NOT be reused and there is a very good reason.
It's got to do with urine/faeces and vomit trapped in the fibres, which then releases toxins which may be a factor in SID (Sudden Infant Death) Syndrome.
A lot of the newer mattresses have removable covers for ease of cleaning but even these are not recommended to be used for more than one child.
It doesn't matter how often you clean the mattress/cover it is still not recommended to reuse a child's mattress.
I know babies are expensive - I've done it twice now - and I'm not trying to be melodramatic here, but surely a mattress is a small price to pay when it comes down to a factor which could be the difference between life and death.
IMO, cot mattresses should be banned from JT, or at least not included in the baby/child section. Obviously they can be used for other things - we used our first one for the dogs bed and the second was used for padding in the van when my hubby transported motorbikes. But I do think that Admin should consider this issue and possibly check the facts and maybe just place a sticky warning up on the relevant section.
Eily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 07:53 PM #7
biker chick

I agree as a mum of two i got a new mattress for my 2nd child & passed on the cot bed to a cousin without the mattress,these should be banned from jt for health & safety reasons for our children!
biker chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 08:06 PM #8
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback so far on this thread.

Any more thoughts on the life-cycling/re-use of cot mattresses?

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 08:30 PM #9
jenniferalan

Was looking at a website called
http://www.cotlife2000.com/

It has information on this topic, this paragraph is particulary important

"Proof that the risk of cot death rises from first to second babies in families; and from second to third babies; and from third to fourth and later babies; and that babies of solo parents are at higher risk again (a corollary of the fact that re-use of mattresses increases the risk of cot death):
Analysis of official British cot death statistics (Source: Office of National Statistics, United Kingdom)

The finding of the rising risk of cot death from one sibling to the next refutes every proposition that cot death has a medical cause. The more times an unwrapped mattress is used from one baby to the next, the greater is the risk of cot death.

This accounts for the higher cot death rate among lower socio-economic families, who are more likely to sleep babies on secondhand mattresses.

If a mattress contains any of the elements phosphorus, arsenic or antimony, and if certain household fungi have become established in the mattress during prior use, any generation of toxic gas commences sooner and in greater volume."
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 08:36 PM #10
lislaw

Yeah, scary stuff!!

I'm sure we could come up with some really good uses for them, though, considering how inventive and resourceful most of us JTer's seem to be.

Lisa.
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 08:48 PM #11
roo12

Default mattress

The dog has always benifited from the old mattress's by cutting them in half and putting in his kennel, have 4 kids so gone through quiet a few ....
roo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 10:20 PM #12
colmsmum

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but how about seat pads for kitchen chairs made from the foam from cot mattresses! Anyone handy (and there's a lot here!) with a sewing machine could make zip covers to match one's decor. I know they might be a bit high but it would boost up the little ones in the family and save a few quid. Just an idea!
colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-04-2009 , 07:15 PM #13
kiwicooke

Could you make some kind of bean bag out of them chopped up into tiny little pieces? put them into a beanbag and that might keep it puffed up..

I seen someone asking where they could get bean bag filler, but why not use the chopped up cot matteress?

I agree with everyone about the cot matteresses, i wouldn't trust any other matteress apart from a brand new one.
kiwicooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-04-2009 , 11:07 PM #14
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin -- Cot Mattresses now prohibited

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback on this important subject.

The consensus seems to be that cot mattresses should be re-purposed or recycled rather than
life-cycled/re-used. I'll add cot mattresses to the "Prohibited List" in the User Guide.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-04-2009 , 08:04 AM #15
sparklyirisheyes

Yes these def should be banned, i can't believe they weren't! I'm still on my campaign to get JT to lift the ban on cosmetics, I have so much stuff to give away as does every girl! How bout it Chris?! How come you can sell used cosmetics on eBay? Could you consider allowing new sealed cosmetics to be givin away on this site?
(sorry i've gone totally off the point, well done for banning cot matresses!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback on this important subject.

The consensus seems to be that cot mattresses should be re-purposed or recycled rather than
life-cycled/re-used. I'll add cot mattresses to the "Prohibited List" in the User Guide.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
sparklyirisheyes is offline   Reply With Quote