Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 09-04-2009 , 09:58 AM #1
hannahbanana

Default mushroom compost

Hi All,

Finally, we are starting our kitchen garden.
We can take any amount of mushroom compost from local mushroom farm but I vaguely remember reading something bad about it. Can anyone advise please?
hannahbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 09-04-2009 , 10:52 AM #2
nanonano

I was advised against it as it seems to be full of weeds.
nanonano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-04-2009 , 11:18 PM #3
jack21

Default mushroom compost

Hi

Don't think you would have a problem with weeds although you might wake up one morning to find your lovely flower bed is now a mushroom patch...
jack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-04-2009 , 08:23 AM #4
el_loco_blanco

Default The best in the world

I may be a little biased here because I work in a research and development capacity in the mushroom industry. If you get your compost from a reputable source it will be weed free and mushroom free! All mushroom tunnels go through a cookout stage (steamed for 24hrs) to kill off the mycelium and other things that may be in the compost. This is a legislative requirement. Some of the smaller farmers do not do this or do not do it effectively and this can lead to problems.

In relation to the value of compost as a fertiliser it is fantastic but it has to be left to overwinter. If anyone is interested in reading literature on this pm me and I can forward to enough bump to keep you going for a while. Most of the mushroom compost is spread on land at the moment as a fertiliser or in the reclaimation of mines and dumps. Potatoes love mushroom compost! I work with a lot of farmers around Ireland so if you let me know I can put you in touch with someone reliable in your area.
el_loco_blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-04-2009 , 08:49 AM #5
nanonano

That's good to know. Can you pm me somebody in Meath as I would be very interested?
Thanks
nanonano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-04-2009 , 08:53 AM #6
hannahbanana

Default mushroom compost

Thanks for all the info. I don't fancy the weeds as I can get my mushrooms from local mushroom farm.
I would love more info from you el loca blanca please.
hannahbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-04-2009 , 09:31 AM #7
lislaw

Sounds interesting. Would love more information / farmers in Westmeath (Kinnegad/Mullingar) area or Meath (Enfield)
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-04-2009 , 04:04 PM #8
julia123

Default re:mushroom compost

hi i would love to know of any farmers in cork.....will this compost produce mushrooms or is this why it goes through a cooking stage....plz do send me moe info as i am intrigued...would love to be gardening and be able to pick mushooms as well....if this isnt possible then still think the compost is a good idea fo the old potatoes......
julia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-09-2009 , 12:21 AM #9
Curious Queries

Default Compost

Hi there

I'd be very interested in getting some of that compost you're talking about. I know it's some time now since your posting, but if you're still in a position to help, I'm in north county Dublin. So mushroom farmers up this way or even in to Louth and Meath.

Thank you

CQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_loco_blanco
I may be a little biased here because I work in a research and development capacity in the mushroom industry. If you get your compost from a reputable source it will be weed free and mushroom free! All mushroom tunnels go through a cookout stage (steamed for 24hrs) to kill off the mycelium and other things that may be in the compost. This is a legislative requirement. Some of the smaller farmers do not do this or do not do it effectively and this can lead to problems.

In relation to the value of compost as a fertiliser it is fantastic but it has to be left to overwinter. If anyone is interested in reading literature on this pm me and I can forward to enough bump to keep you going for a while. Most of the mushroom compost is spread on land at the moment as a fertiliser or in the reclaimation of mines and dumps. Potatoes love mushroom compost! I work with a lot of farmers around Ireland so if you let me know I can put you in touch with someone reliable in your area.
Curious Queries is offline   Reply With Quote