Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 02-10-2009 , 05:16 PM #1
MattSwart

Default Help Decking

Area: Athlone County: Westmeath Status: Available
I am at the moment building a decking in my back garden. I am almost at the end of laying all the planks and getting to the home straight. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on how I can sand the decking as it has grooves in it and looks like it is going to take for ever to clean it up before I stain and vanish it.

Thanks a million

Matthew
MattSwart is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 02-10-2009 , 05:23 PM #2
char

Hi,we got decking 2 years ago and were told not to varnish it for a year,can't remember the reason behind it.We varnished last year,didn't sand it and its perfect.Just used a brush.
char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-10-2009 , 08:33 PM #3
denkarma

Default decking

hi Matthew try using deck oil to help preserve the wood it comes in different colours and would give a better finish than varnish(which could make the deck slippery and dangerous) here is a link to a site or you can google for Deck Oil. goodluck with the job
denkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-10-2009 , 08:34 PM #4
denkarma

Default deck

sorry forgot the link http://www.ronseal.ie/prodshowgroup....ing&intext=ext .goodluck
denkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-08-2010 , 08:39 PM #5
markjamesdaly

You could borrow a friend's power-washer to clean any dirt from it...and just run over it with a pad sander after that!...Let me know if you wanna borrow a small protable Karcher power washer. I pop over to athlone a few times per week and could loan you mine.
markjamesdaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-01-2011 , 02:25 PM #6
debear34

Default well

hey de only way is by hand when der is grooves if de timber isnt 2 bad u will get away wit a paint treater it can be painted on but if possible try spray it 0857456933 give me a buzz for more info
debear34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-01-2011 , 03:06 PM #7
Merienne

Hi,
I'm not sure, but I have the same project waiting this spring...
I'm thinking it might be easier to get into the grooves with coarse steel wool than with sanding paper.
I don't know the condition of yours, but mine has been stained/painted previously, so I'm going to brush it with a steel bristle brush to get some of that off first.
Good luck, and please post results, I need some inspiration for the gross monster of a dissembled deck lurking in my back garden...
Merienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-10-2012 , 10:13 PM #8
davec5

Default deck

get a detergent and water scrub it then power wash it ,,do not varnish it as it will trap the water go black and rot ,oil only ,,not ronseal as is no good ,have done about 200 decks over the years
davec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-04-2013 , 09:09 PM #9
choruna

Default Decking

Why don't you turn the decking planks upside down so its flat on top. Easier to sand and varnish and it doesn't collect algae etc and lasts longer apparently! Haven't done this myself but hear from a landscaper that its how decking is done in other countries.
choruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-03-2014 , 06:17 PM #10
davec5

Default decking

do not put varnish on any outside timber as the sun bubbles it water gets trapped under and timber goes black and rots, use a detergent cleaner and powerwasher then oil not ronseal ,, I build timber cabins and decking ,hope this helps
davec5 is offline   Reply With Quote