JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 10-10-2008 , 09:45 PM #1
DAMDC

Default Help!! Crumbling Marble Tiles - Advice needed urgently

Can anyone advise me how to preserve my 'crema marfil' tiles which are developing holes all over the place. My heel went through a tile in the kitchen today and left a big hole in the tile. What's going on???
DAMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 10-10-2008 , 10:36 PM #2
HappyHunter

Could it be a thing that there is water under the tiles? I have been told if there is water leaking under tiles this can cause a lot of damage. I will try to find more information for you.

K
HappyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-10-2008 , 07:23 AM #3
Fries-With-That

Default Tiles

Are the tiles breaking down on the surface, or are they breaking when you walk on them.

If they're breaking and cracking when you walk on them it sounds like they were badly fitted. I'd bring back the person that fitted the tiles and ask him his opinion.
Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-10-2008 , 08:04 PM #4
DAMDC

I don't know if there is water under the tiles - any idea how I could check this out?

It seems that some parts of the tiles are hollow and my heel went through into a hole. There are small holes appearing all over them since they were put down about 6 months ago. The supplier and the tiler don't want to know......
Old Posted: 11-10-2008 , 09:14 PM #5
HappyHunter

I have made contact with a tiler friend of mine and am waiting to hear back from him, might be tomorrow or so before he comes back to me, in the meantime someone else here on JT might have answers to your questions.

HH
Old Posted: 12-10-2008 , 08:53 AM #6
mrsl

As far as the shop and the tiler are concerned they both have responsibilities to you.

See http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Le..._Law/Shopping/ for a guide to YOUR rights.

Tell them that you will be taking them to the Small Claims Court and they will soon buck up and redress the fault.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/ca...court?tab=more

I did this with a supplier one time. His carpet layer burst a pipe just as he was laying the last strip of a wooden floor and I had to call out an emergency plumber costing me a fortune. When I went to the shop he told me I would have to cover the cost of the plumber (they were my pipes that were TOO CLOSE TO THE SURFACE and that's why his guy burst them!!!!).

I contacted my insurance company who said that if pushed they would cover the cost but that they would be taking the supplier to court to recover the cost. I went to the supplier and said I would cover the cost of the plumber if I had to but that I had supplied my insurance company with his details and they would be taking him to court. He instantly took the cost of the plumber off my bill!!

The fortunate thing there was that I had not paid for the whole floor before it was laid and it was quite a large well known store in the town.

Hope that helps. Good luck
mrsl
mrsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-10-2008 , 04:28 PM #7
HappyHunter

Spoke to my tiler friend and he said the 'crema marfil' tiles should have been sealed 3 times by the tiler after they were put down.

You can seal yourself but I think from what you have written here that you need to contact Consumer Association with regards to the failure of the tiler to finish his work. He should have advised you about sealing the marble even if he was not contracted to seal them.
Old Posted: 12-10-2008 , 04:55 PM #8
DAMDC

The shop where I bought the tiles said that they were pre-finished, and needed no further treatment when they were laid. I took them at their word... Silly me!!

Thanks to all of you who responded - I will look into all of your suggestions. Your help is very much appreciated!
Old Posted: 13-10-2008 , 10:10 PM #9
bluecurlygirl

Default Bravo

This community never ceases to amaze me. What a fantastic input on that thread from everybody. Well done. I love the way people are willing to jump on board and help out in any way they can. Keep it up guys and gals.
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote