JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 06-09-2010 , 07:47 PM #1
jessy8754

Default Revamped-4drawer Lockers

HI... I'VE HAD THESE LOCKERS FOR YEARS...THEY ALWAYS JUST LOOKED SO DUSTY MATTER HOW MUCH I CLEANED THEM.. SO THE OTHER WEEK I DECIDED TO GIVE THEM A LICK OF PAINT AND BUY NEW KNOBS FOR THEM... THE PAINT I ALREADY HAD FROM OTHER PROJECTS AND THE HANDLES I BOUGHT IN WOODIES TULLAMORE IN REDUCED SECTION FOR A BARGAIN (99c each)..
Attached Images

jessy8754 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 07-09-2010 , 07:02 AM #2
Purplerain

nice job the handles give it some class
Purplerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-09-2010 , 06:36 PM #3
TickTock

Amazing how a little paint can make such a difference. It looks lovely.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-09-2010 , 07:46 PM #4
Mumof3

Just wondering what type of paint did you use. I have lockers that are very similar to these and would love to freshen them up. Yours are just amazing... well done...
Mumof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-09-2010 , 09:35 PM #5
junkista

these look really great, love the handles! well done theyve been given a new lease of life!
junkista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-09-2010 , 09:37 PM #6
unapam

Default lockers

They are transformed.! Love the grogeous knobs.
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-09-2010 , 11:47 PM #7
jessy8754

Default 4 drawer lockers revamp answer to your ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumof3
Just wondering what type of paint did you use. I have lockers that are very similar to these and would love to freshen them up. Yours are just amazing... well done...

Hi, thank you for your post... i lightly sanded the lockers & then just used an old paint brush.. the paint i used woz Dulux Soft Hessian.. In the pic they came out looking v.white but they act. are a more creamy looking colour.hope this helps.. If you not sure on colour just get a tester pot so that u are happy with the colour.. best of luck with your projects... Kindest regards...
Old Posted: 13-08-2011 , 11:20 PM #8
jessy8754

Default problem with the lockers HELP!!!!

hi guys... as i said prev.... i painted the lockers and now they are getting well lets say grubby.. can anyone help me?? what could i use to seal/protect them from dust/stains...apart from telling hubby not to give me coffee everymoring (bless him)....p.s. i do use a coaster!!! thanks a mill...
Old Posted: 14-08-2011 , 12:17 PM #9
irishrose

I think I'd wash them carefully and touch up any paint that needs it. Then I'd use a water-based varnish in a clear colour on them. I think what's happening is the paint is absorbent because (probably) it's a wall paint. Sealing it with a satin-type varnish that's clear will solve that problem. I recommend the water-based stuff because it dries quickly and it's a lot easier clean-up.
irishrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-08-2011 , 12:18 PM #10
irishrose

I'd wash them carefully and touch up the paint if it needs it. When they're dry, give them a coat or two of water-based satin varnish. I think what's happening is it's a wall paint and is absorbing marks. The varnish, once it's dry, will solve that problem. I like the water-based stuff because it dries quickly and it's easy to clean up.
irishrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-08-2011 , 04:57 PM #11
molly99

If the wood was previously polished with any kind of wax, like beeswax, pledge etc, a waterbased paint will flake off. this will look 'grubby'.
if not previously waxed,if the paint is waterbased emulsion or 'wall paint', the wood will suck it in like a sponge leaving a rough surface which dust will lodge in, especailly if you wipe it.

If the wood was waxed,wait till the wood is completely dry and then scrub or 'sand' off the paint with dry wire wool.or use a sander if you have it.
this will be easier than you think as the paint will not stick to the waxed wood.Then wipe the wood with a rag soaked in white spirits to get rid of the wax.let it dry.
Then prime it with an oil based primer for wood .

If the wood was pristine, the emulsion will do as a primer though it wont give as good a final finish as wood primer for oil based paint will give.It will be good enough and less bother, leave it.

Then paint your final desired colour using an oil based gloss.Read about how to paint with gloss paint, its not as straightforward as emulsion.have some white spirit to clean up splashes and brushes.

Dust dosent settle on the shiny gloss finish as much as it does on a stickier wax finish or a porous waterbased paint finish.
molly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-08-2011 , 12:06 AM #12
chamallo

Fantastic job well done....................
chamallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-05-2012 , 11:51 PM #13
jessy8754

bump