JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 30-04-2012 , 10:02 AM #1
Jayne402010

Default Recycled Garden!

Hi there! Just thought Id share my pics of before and after in my garden, which was until February destroyed by my sons doberman. It broke my heart to watch it become more and more of a mess but once I had decided to re home her for him then I started to plan a new design for my space outside! (Btw the doberman was re homed thru a trusted charity called homeward bound, we even drove to shannon from wexford to ensure she was handed over safely!) I took down what 6ft fences hadnt been blown down with the awful winds we had. I disassembled them and bought myself my first very own saw and got to work, sawing the slats in half and made fences. At least these won't fall down! Then I had to repair the arch which had rotted but was the only part of my original garden that was left, so the local sawmill and a €20 note sorted this out! I got decking really cheap after ringing around, it was February, the weather was crap and all places I spoke to said it was too early, but eventually I got a fantastic deal of last years decking stock which was left in the store in Wexford. Delighted I was too as he gave me a few left overs he had and they were the real thick timbers too! It pays to buy out of season! My brother came and laid it down with my nephew. I saved money by buying 8ft rough timber posts and sawing in half to use as posts and my son spent his weekend off work boring in holes for me! I am still trying to find rope to go thru these, somebody suggested a walk on the beach to locate it! I have yet to get there! But soon.... I will make it!
My friend was really generous and she gave me loads of logs which I varnished and used as edging for flower beds. Do you follow so far?.....!
Attached Images

Jayne402010 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 30-04-2012 , 10:28 AM #2
Jayne402010

Default A few more pics!

A lot of hard work, but was well pleased! And I love a challenge!
Attached Images

Old Posted: 30-04-2012 , 10:37 AM #3
Jayne402010

Default Recycled garden continued...

I got a 6m x 3m poly tunnel from a site on e bay for €220 inc delivery ( this I did by selling unwanted clothing etc on e bay and it eventually tallied up to the cost of the tunnel and decking lights!).
Decking lights were €20 for 8 and solar powered. All for nothing except a few old unwanted clothes and shoes!!!
My son put in the lights and he put up the tunnel frame. ( I went for the galvanised for the strength!) Still this was over a hundred euros cheaper than buying a smaller one over here!
I spent a few hrs digging out the trench to bury the cover in. We fixed it down at the 4 corners using the legs of an old trampoline we have here! Its really strong!
Attached Images

Old Posted: 30-04-2012 , 10:41 AM #4
Jayne402010

Default Polytunnel up!

Then we pulled the cover over and I buried the sides! And its so brill in there! The humidity is unbelievable! There is loads of space and cos it was raining for days after we put it up I started my next project in there!
Attached Images

Old Posted: 30-04-2012 , 10:55 AM #5
Jayne402010

Default Mosaic a cheap table top!

I got a cheap table and chairs last year from Aldi (€60 I think). The chairs were useless, really small and not strong. I got 4 really nice ones off adverts.ie for €30 but was looking for a table. Then thought I had one already, so I got a few unused floor tiles I had and a few off another friend. Smashed them up in a carrier bag and using silicone attached them to the glass table top. The only thing I paid for was the grout, €10 for 5kg. But I have over half left and my next project will be mosaicing a wall in the garden so will use it for that! The point in putting up these pics was to prove that you can have a nice garden without paying ridiculous money and its tons more fun recycling stuff. I am always on the look out for stuff I can reuse, sadly on jumbletown there wouldnt be much coming up in Wexford, but I improvise. I love it!
Attached Images

Old Posted: 30-04-2012 , 11:39 AM #6
Jayne402010

The planter was made from bits of left over decking, reversed the timber and used decking oil to paint it!
I actually enjoy going out in my garden now!
Hope to have all done so I can put grass seed down by end of May...
Attached Images

Old Posted: 30-04-2012 , 12:09 PM #7
mondubics

That is fantastic, and I love the way you spread the pictures through the story! Well done.
If you haven't planted the planter yet, it might be an idea to line it with plastic (with holes in it for drainage) to reduce the possible impact of the preservative in the wood from affecting what you plant. When I put in a raised bed with old sleepers years ago, I forgot to do this, and couldn't plant veg. They were black when first I built the bed (I say 'I', but it was builders). Now they are as near white as they are going to get, what with rain etc.
mondubics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-04-2012 , 01:32 PM #8
Jayne402010

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondubics
That is fantastic, and I love the way you spread the pictures through the story! Well done.
If you haven't planted the planter yet, it might be an idea to line it with plastic (with holes in it for drainage) to reduce the possible impact of the preservative in the wood from affecting what you plant. When I put in a raised bed with old sleepers years ago, I forgot to do this, and couldn't plant veg. They were black when first I built the bed (I say 'I', but it was builders). Now they are as near white as they are going to get, what with rain etc.

Thanks! I haven't planted the planter yet and wouldn't of thought of plastic, but will do that now! I saw somebody was mosaicing their wall on here, it looks fantastic and hope to do similar myself as garden is so big! Would love to incorporate a few sleepers myself somewhere in the garden, but unsure where as of yet. I am going for a rustic country garden even tho on the edge of town! Only put story up cos pouring down and frustrated I cannot get outside!!!
Old Posted: 30-04-2012 , 03:51 PM #9
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Great post, Jayne402010!

Many thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-04-2012 , 05:49 PM #10
Jayne402010

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P
Great post, Jayne402010!

Many thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Thanks!!!
I hope to become inspired by browsing through the forums on here!
But for now I am going out to my polytunnel as the rain has stopped and I have been a prisoner indoors for far too long today! :)
Old Posted: 04-05-2012 , 12:33 AM #11
Leyazile

Default Brilliant post

I envy your garden :) What a fantastic transformation! Well done on the mosaic table.If you can't wait for the sea to blow some rope onto shore,check ebay.Search 'decking rope' and you'll find some cheap options, though no where near as fun as hunting the beach for it!
Leyazile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-05-2012 , 12:34 PM #12
melissabell

Well done!!! I've layed bricks myself around the edges of my lawn to make it neater etc, you really feel more proud when you do it yourself. It looks fantastic and you've put so much hard work into it. It looks wonderful and your table is gorgeous. Really inspiring and very pretty ;)
melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-05-2012 , 01:18 PM #13
Jayne402010

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyazile
I envy your garden :) What a fantastic transformation! Well done on the mosaic table.If you can't wait for the sea to blow some rope onto shore,check ebay.Search 'decking rope' and you'll find some cheap options, though no where near as fun as hunting the beach for it!

Hi there!
Thanks for taking time to comment, am only back online now as the rains have returned and I am a bit like Noah here with two cats sheltering from it!!!

I did search E bay as I am a mad E bayer but whilst rope is cheap, the postal costs to Ireland per metre are absolutely ridiculous!
I have put ads up through facebook on local swap pages and hope this yields at least one positive reply! Sure, it doesn't hurt to ask eh?!
I am busy mosaicing a feature for the garden wall, but thought it best to mosaic onto wood and then fix it onto battens on the wall ( at least this weather doesn't stop my creativity then!)
Old Posted: 07-05-2012 , 01:21 PM #14
Jayne402010

Default Are bricks cheap to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissabell
Well done!!! I've layed bricks myself around the edges of my lawn to make it neater etc, you really feel more proud when you do it yourself. It looks fantastic and you've put so much hard work into it. It looks wonderful and your table is gorgeous. Really inspiring and very pretty ;)

Thanks so much for your interest in replying to my little story!
I am going mad to get some red bricks, do you know if they cost a lot and/or where I would source them from? I am in the South East, Co Wexford and items do not seem to be as cheap down here as they would be in the big cities!

All suggestions greatly appreciated and taken note of!!!
Old Posted: 12-05-2012 , 07:28 PM #15
Jayne402010

Default Updated pics of more stuff I have done!

Mosaic wall. The side pieces are off an old coffee table!

Old barrel and a ten euro solar fountain from Hong Kong, took 2 weeks to arrive, but it was free delivery! And omg it works brilliantly!
Attached Images