JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 04-11-2008 , 09:38 AM #1
annl1346

Default De-humidifier

Hi does anyone know if these are any good in helping with condensation / damp in an extension, what the running costs are. We don't have any radiators in these 2 rooms although we do use a superser and a oil filled rad in the evenings we've noticed that in the last 2 months we've been getting mould spores on the window sills and the back of leather sofa, would a de-humidifier help.
annl1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 04-11-2008 , 10:09 AM #2
mammasboys

Default dehumidifier

Hi there, A dehumidifier would help but another JTer put me onto an amazing product that makes paint insulate. You just add it to any paint and it creates a layer of insulation that dramatically reduces condensation. It's available from Igoe.ie and costs around €30 for 5 litres of paint and they recommend 2 coats. It's called Thermilate. It's totally safe to use and doesn't have any nasty side effects, fumes or fibres. I'm a cynic and tried to find something bad about it online but couldn't find a single moan. And I definitely don't work for them. LOL
mammasboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-11-2008 , 10:34 AM #3
kevqcs

Default damp spots

hi, have you vents fitted in the rooms ? while supersers and oil rads are ok
it is very important that air can circulate,
kevqcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-11-2008 , 10:46 AM #4
Helenwirl

Default De-humidifier

Hi, I have a lot of condensation in my kitchen during the winter. Last winter I bought a de-humidifier in ALDI for six euros. It's like a small box that contains a bag that collects the moisture. You then just pour of this liquid every couple of weeks. We also use these in our mobile home which is closed up for the winter. They're brilliant.
Helenwirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-11-2008 , 10:53 AM #5
paprika

Default condensation

Hi ann,

I had the same problem in the porch and kitchen, mainly beacause I dry the clothes in the house during the winter.
I found a tip really useful that I read in a leaflet: heat up the room/house, then open the windows and let the draught blow the wet air out. Seems like a waste of energy, but I only do it a few times a month. And it really helped.
Earlier we were renting an appartement and got really bad mould on the windows and behind cupboards, but the owner had it washed with bleach, then put in a dehumidifier for a few hours a day, we didn't have any problem after that all through the winter. We also left the windows open a bit during the night.

Regards,
p
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-11-2008 , 12:04 PM #6
lucysull

Hi ,your problem is the Superser for every bottle of gas burned it will deposit approx between 10and25 litres of water on the walls,about 25 years ago people living in a new estate challenged the builder about damp and mould on the walls,but he proved to them it was only the houses that used Supersers good luck.
lucysull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-11-2008 , 02:09 PM #7
annl1346

Default De-humidifier

Hi thanks for the replies, we do have vents but their actually covered with a layer of pasterboard so I'll need to get some vent covers and get them opened up, my brother did say this to me but I thought yeah right let more cold in but will defo do this now. thanks
Old Posted: 17-11-2008 , 01:37 PM #8
Glenurla

Default Dehumidifier

I have used a dehumidifier to deal with condensation and it's a great help. Also, tea tree oil is a safe and environmentally friendly way to stop mould growth. Add three or four drops to water and wipe or spray the affected area.
Glenurla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-11-2008 , 02:23 PM #9
longus

I have the same problem and from reading the thread will anyone know where I can get a reasonable and cheap de-humifier. The condensation and mould in my own case are in my room and bathroom; the windows are always covered in water.
longus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-11-2008 , 02:26 PM #10
longus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucysull
Hi ,your problem is the Superser for every bottle of gas burned it will deposit approx between 10and25 litres of water on the walls,about 25 years ago people living in a new estate challenged the builder about damp and mould on the walls,but he proved to them it was only the houses that used Supersers good luck.

What is Supersers? my windows and walls are always covered in water and moulds, I only bought the house about a year ago and I m getting worried.
longus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-11-2008 , 02:44 PM #11
biker chick

Superser`s are heaters that are run on bottled gas
biker chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-11-2008 , 03:28 PM #12
annl1346

Default dehumidifier

I got a dehumidifier for €112 in Argos its the cheapest one they had in stock I got it on Friday and have noticed a vast improvement over the weekend in the condensation.

Will also give the tea-tree oil a go to stop the spores from spreading as their on my bathroom ceiling
Old Posted: 18-11-2008 , 10:23 AM #13
Bubbles2

Default De-humidifier

We had a leaking pipe in our house and we hired a de-humidifier. We were told to ensure that any toilets or sinks in the vicinity should be sealed up. We found it very good, we left it on day and night for about 3/4 days but it did the job.
Bubbles2 is offline   Reply With Quote