Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 22-01-2006 , 11:04 PM #1
Chris P
Administrator

Default 500 Ways to Save the Planet: Recommended Reading

Here's a quick review of "Go M.A.D." (Go Make a Difference) or "Over 500 Daily Ways to Save the Planet" (published by "Think", London, 2003).

This is a fascinating and useful pocket-book. Most of the contact info in the book relates to British agencies, organisations and websites, but the recycling tips and advice on how to be a smart and ethical consumer are for each and every one of us.

For example:

Leaving the tap on while you are brushing your teeth can waste up to 4.5 litres of water. If you use short bursts of water to rinse your toothbrush, 80% of the water that you normally use will be saved.

Plastic toys, especially some PVC toys made in parts of Asia, can contain weird (but not wonderful) chemicals called phthalates (no, I can't pronounce it either). Anyway, these boyos are carcinogenic. So, be kind to the kids, and buy them wooden toys.

I particularly like the suggestions in "Go M.A.D." that tally with JumbleTown's life-cycling ethos. For example, next time you pop down to the local doctor's surgery, why not bring some of your old "Cosmopolitan" or "Time" magazines. We could all do with something to read while waiting for our appointment.

And not wishing to be morbid but ... while you're down in the doctor's surgery, it would be great if you tried to practise the most precious form of life-cycling there is. You can do this by picking up an organ donor card. Remember that when you pass on to your Great Reward, you can't take your organs with you, so why not donate them to someone who would be eternally grateful? Now, life-cycling doesn't get more extreme than that, does it?!

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)
Attached Images

Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 11-08-2008 , 07:36 PM #2
unapam

Default green tips

These older pieces are fabulous! I have never read some of them before. Recycle some more for us!
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-08-2008 , 09:29 PM #3
Ocker

Imagine that ! Gubmints don't tell us that the plastic toys contain phftt.....(can't say it or I might lose me teef) It's all very well recylcing our organs and very noble, but the great thing about dying is that the worms get a feed, and where would we be without the worms. No worms=no birds= no morning chorus=miserable people= earlier donor organs ad infinitum.
Ocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-08-2008 , 09:37 PM #4
Linn

Fasinating reading Chris P. you learn something new every day.
Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-08-2008 , 09:45 PM #5
acket

Does this mean that you will now be accepting organs (non-musical) on site?;)
Please enforce a "No pictures please" if you do :0
acket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-08-2008 , 09:52 PM #6
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acket
Does this mean that you will now be accepting organs (non-musical) on site?;)
Please enforce a "No pictures please" if you do :0
Hi acket,

I'm happy to clarify that JumbleTown will play no part in the Giving and Taking of vital organs.

(Collective sigh of relief from JumbleTowners...)

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-08-2008 , 09:37 PM #7
erica

I agree Chris P that organ donation is a fantastic idea and everyone should carry an organ donor card.

Of course, after all the viable organs have been donated, the ultimate re-cycling is to donate one's body to medical science. Saves on funeral expenses!!!!
erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-10-2009 , 11:12 AM #8
garrazzaband

Default organ donation available..

If anyone wants a liver or kidney I can donate one. ..anytime you want, just need 24hrs notice as I'm getting them out the guy next door. Never liked him lol. lol.
garrazzaband is offline   Reply With Quote