Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 09:07 PM #31
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin: Collapse of Recycling Markets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos
I see on the news that the recycling industry is in big trouble.
Hi chaos,

According to a Dept of the Environment press release (3/11/08), the international market for recycled paper/cardboard in particular has collapsed. (Earlier in the year, the DOE reported that 83% of all recyclable material in Ireland is "necessarily exported." Given recent developments, it seems that JumbleTown's ethos of re-use/life-cycling before (premature) recycling is more important than ever.)

Minister Gormley said: “Up until very recently, good quality paper, the type typically found in green bins, was getting 200 dollars a tonne but that has now dropped to 75 dollars. Lower quality contaminated paper had been getting 100 dollars but at present is not being taken at all...

“We have a short-term market failure and I recognise that this presents serious challenges for the waste industry. The most urgent problem is to have more storage capacity in place..."

Let's hope that more re-use will be encouraged plus greater regulation of the excess packaging used on most items. After all, if we have a mountain of recyclates going into the Christmas period, where will be after the unpacking of all those prezzies...up to our necks! All vacant space will have to utilised. Dail Eireann is usually empty isn't it!? :)

Details here:

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment...y,18785,en.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin

PIC BELOW: In "A Day in the Life," the Beatles said they discovered "how many holes it takes to fill up the Albert Hall." Does anyone have any idea how many flattened boxes it might take to fill up Dail Eireann? :)
Attached Images

Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 11:52 PM #32
chaos

Default Reuse

Thanks for that response Chris. Hmm. Interesting.

Incase people haven't seen the trailer, there's a watchdog type programme - 'Buyer Beware' on Thursday night at 8.30pm, RTE 1 re bogus recycling companies, such as those who post all those flyers through our doors, which in this house go straight into our council recycling bag. Haven't thought of a reuse for them yet.
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-11-2008 , 09:44 PM #33
corker

Default Cork recycling

Chaos, I have noticed those batteries collection boxes in Atlantic Homecare in Blackpool. Also Pouladuff Dismantlers at bottom of Forge Hill take metal - bought a new gas cooker, but the WEEE does not cover it, so had to get rid of the old one (leaking gas so did not JT it). At Pouladuff they also were taking radiators etc...if anybody needs to know.
Creches, playschools also may take plastic holders, squeezy bottles etc, for play activities, art work with kids, if you have a smallie.
Regards
Corker
corker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-11-2008 , 02:30 AM #34
chaos

Default Thanks

Hi Corker,

Thanks for that info. I'll check out Atlantic Homecare re the batteries. Did somebody say shops only recycle the same makes/types of batteries that they sell ? Interesting that Pouladuff dismantlers take metals. Good to know.

Chaos
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-12-2008 , 07:20 PM #35
Chris P
Administrator

Default Update on Collapse of Recycling Market

Dept Of Environment Press Release (19/12/08):

Minister Publishes Report on Recycling Market

The Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government John Gormley TD today (18th December 2008) published the First Report of the Action Group on the recycling market.

The Group was established last month by the Minister following a dramatic fall in the international price for ‘recyclates’ or materials collected for recycling The drop in demand was very rapid and was caused by the current international economic situation, combined with the very large fall in oil prices. Ireland exports 85 per cent of its recycling material, and the price fall has led to serious difficulties within the recycling industry in Ireland.

Details here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment...y,19146,en.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 30-12-2008 , 07:24 PM #36
Chris P
Administrator

Default Funding for Recycling Initiatives

Dept of Environment Press Release (30/12/08):

Minister Gormley Highlights Funding of €24m for Recycling Initiatives for Local Authorities in 2008

€12m in Capital grants
€10m to support the Operating Costs of Recycling Facilities
€2m in support of WEEE Operational costs

Details here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment...y,19167,en.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 20-01-2009 , 03:47 PM #37
Chris P
Administrator

Default New Recycling Facility for Dublin

Dept of the Environment Press Release (19/01/09)

"Minister Gormley opens major new materials recovery facility to serve the Dublin region."

Mr. John Gormley, T.D., Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government today (19 January 2009) opened one of the largest and most sophisticated Materials Recovery Facilities in Europe. The facility is located at Ballymount in Dublin 12 and will cater for the processing of Green Bin materials in the Dublin region for the next 20 years, using the most modern electronic and mechanical equipment on the market. It is a joint venture between the four Dublin local authorities.

Details here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment...y,19321,en.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 29-01-2009 , 12:56 AM #38
Chris P
Administrator

Default Recycling News

Dept of the Environment Press Release (28/01/09)

- Continuing Progress made in Recycling
- Need to increase progress towards landfill diversion

“ Ireland continues to make significant progress in terms of recycling, but we need to move our focus towards prevention and reduction”, said Mr. John Gormley, T.D., Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government reacting to the publication of the National Waste Report 2007 by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today (28 January).

Prevention
The Report indicates that Ireland must move towards reduction and prevention while addressing the development of waste as a resource. Minister Gormley said “Initiatives such as the National Waste Prevention Programme headed by the EPA can contribute to a reduction in the level of resources used and to the development of a more sustainable economy...

Details here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment...y,19396,en.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 29-01-2009 , 01:09 AM #39
Chris P
Administrator

Default National Waste Report 2007 (Published: Jan 2009)

A summary of the Environment Protection Agency's National Waste Report (2007) can be viewed here:

http://www.epa.ie/news/pr/2009/name,25605,en.html
Old Posted: 27-05-2010 , 09:01 PM #40
maire1

Default Yep I do too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience
Does anyone else wash their plastic containers/bottles before putting them into the receycling bags? I've always washed everything. I'm under the impression that people stand at conveyor belts sifting through all this recyclable stuff. But I had a service engineer call to the house one day and I was washing a yoghurt carton and he seemed very surprised that I should wash it at all. So I was wondering am I the only one that does it? Am I mad?

I wash out all plastic/glass containers, and tetra cartons before sending to recycle. I wouldn't like to handle dirty stuff and wouldn't expect anyone else to either. Keep up the good work!
maire1 is offline   Reply With Quote