Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 03:45 PM #16
kandeekane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only
I got up this morning and my footpaths and driveway are infested with what looks to me like a cross between a caterpillar and a worm. There are hundreds of them and they seem to be trying to burrow into any holes in the tarmacadam / path etc. They're horrible things and its near impossible to not step on them ... yyyeeeuuucckkk!!!
Does anyone have ANY clue what they are and why / where they have come from???
Need rid of these!!!

my other half says they are (cabbage) caterpillas as we live in the country thats what they eat, but any flowers you have they will head for and eat, the splash of early sun we have had has made them mature early, they will become butterflys, but *1) how much damage will they do first and * 2) do you want that many cocoons all over your garden till then ? so my advice is a good dose of boiling water and block any holes around your door, hope i was of some help
kandeekane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 03:47 PM #17
Sabrinabray

They came in their tens
They came in and multiplied
Ugly uggy critters
Would they be nice pan fried

And then the birds would come to eat
Save Only from breakdown
These wriggly critters with legs
The birds would swallow them all down

But in the meantime
The Jeyes Fluid must come out
Then the critters will be murdered
of that there is no doubt!
Sabrinabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 03:49 PM #18
Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandeekane
my other half says they are (cabbage) caterpillas as we live in the country thats what they eat, but any flowers you have they will head for and eat, the splash of early sun we have had has made them mature early, they will become butterflys, but *1) how much damage will they do first and * 2) do you want that many cocoons all over your garden till then ? so my advice is a good dose of boiling water and block any holes around your door, hope i was of some help

I really really don't want them. I think I'll have to get hubby to deal with them later and 'pretend' he's not killing them .... looks like some of them have already burrowed into places because there aren't half as many out there now ... uuuggghhh
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 04:37 PM #19
Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrinabray
They came in their tens
They came in and multiplied
Ugly uggy critters
Would they be nice pan fried

And then the birds would come to eat
Save Only from breakdown
These wriggly critters with legs
The birds would swallow them all down

But in the meantime
The Jeyes Fluid must come out
Then the critters will be murdered
of that there is no doubt!

Now how on earth did I miss this when I posted last!!!
Sabrina you have no conscience taunting me like this :D :D

Only wants rid
or she'll have a fit
Jeyes fluid or not
it'll have to be hot

She'll be up for conviction
for murderous intensions
twas not her fault
she was drove to default

If Sabrinabray has her way
they'll be gone in the morn
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 05:41 PM #20
Bradley

Default cabbage caterpillars

I wonder woukld shavings of a citronella candle keep them away? You know how burning citronella does for midges in summer? My husband says to put salt in all the holes!
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 06:39 PM #21
beebeehse

yeah hated killing them but felt we were over infested, they def came from the garden and im thinking that they came out after the rain as we hadnt some for long time-though thats just my thinking. hope we dont have the same infestation tomoro morn-wishful thinking!!
beebeehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 07:30 PM #22
Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebeehse
yeah hated killing them but felt we were over infested, they def came from the garden and im thinking that they came out after the rain as we hadnt some for long time-though thats just my thinking. hope we dont have the same infestation tomoro morn-wishful thinking!!

Aahh Nooooo - I hadn't thought of more coming!!! Got DH to sweep them up and get rid of them ... I really really don't fancy having to tip toe around more tomorrow morning!

I asked the neighbour this evening if she had any problems with these things and she hasn't so I'm wondering what attracted them to my house?!
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 08:20 PM #23
talulah40

I think they are leatherjackets, which are the larvae of crane fly or daddy long legs. the eggs are laid in the grass, larvae hatch underground and feed on the grass roots, probably came out because of the heavy rains last night. perfectly harmless, just leave them to the birds

sue
talulah40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 08:35 PM #24
Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by talulah40
I think they are leatherjackets, which are the larvae of crane fly or daddy long legs. the eggs are laid in the grass, larvae hatch underground and feed on the grass roots, probably came out because of the heavy rains last night. perfectly harmless, just leave them to the birds

sue

Sue, that's them!!!! I googled leatherjackets and found pics and thats definately what they are! Thank you!!!
It seems they can do awful damage to grass too.
I just can't figure out why there were so many on the footpath and tarmacadam near the house - well away from the lawn - the footpath has only just been powerwashed and sealed a week ago so the eggs couldn't have been there up to now ... just can't figure it??
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 08:40 PM #25
Bawnie

Default Omg

I'm not going to sleep now after seeing them.. They are not moving in the picture but its the idea of their movement, the fact that they move in such a way ... Eugh... i love all animals, creatures.. just not these or anything that resembles a maggot! :) Good luck disposing of them..
Bawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 08:51 PM #26
Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawnie
I'm not going to sleep now after seeing them.. They are not moving in the picture but its the idea of their movement, the fact that they move in such a way ... Eugh... i love all animals, creatures.. just not these or anything that resembles a maggot! :) Good luck disposing of them..

I know exactly how you feel Bawnie - and they didn't look any better moving let me tell you! I couldn't eat breakfast this morning after seeing them ... horrible little things and I have the creeps even thinking about them!
... And I'm an animal lover too ... but after reading what they do to grass (and looking at my own lawn and knowing now what they do - they have definately done damage - I have some totally brown patches but I had blamed that on weedkiller I used late last year to get rid of clumps of weeds - I think now that its these larvae that have done it! ... Think I'll be getting an insecticide one of the days to deal with them BUT .... and heres the horrible bit ... when they die they apparently come to the surface so you have to get rid of the 'bodies' .... eeeeuuuucccckkkkkkkk!!!!!
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 09:08 PM #27
Bawnie

Corpses-well at least they wont be moving! :) I'd get the hoover out!! :) Good luck with it & i've learned a lot about those tonight.. bleugh!! :( Half laughing, trying to see the positives in this discussion.. :)
Bawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 09:13 PM #28
Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawnie
Corpses-well at least they wont be moving! :) I'd get the hoover out!! :) Good luck with it & i've learned a lot about those tonight.. bleugh!! :( Half laughing, trying to see the positives in this discussion.. :)

Well thats two of us wiser tonight then :-)
Good idea on the hoover ... will have to send hubby out ... what are the chances of him hoovering the entire lawn though ... can't get him to do a tiny room never mind the lawn lol ... will have to figure something out though because I can't abide the little buggers and I wouldn't have the stomach for hoovering them up thats for sure!
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 09:27 PM #29
AKO5

Default Wriggley Worms

Great Thread- Love the poems Sabrina you are a wonder.
Yuck Glad they not burrowing in to my house.
Hope your neighbours aren't watching your husband vacuming the garden- they'll think he's nuts.
My husband had to vacum our back garden last week ( 3year old V's glass table - 3year old won- but glass everywhere) esp down the crevices of teh cobbleblock.
I swept it but Husband had to vacum the rest up- Neighbour looking as us really strangely this week- mmm Wonder why
AKO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 09:40 PM #30
stony

Default maggots

Will you post if I send on S.A.E. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stony is offline   Reply With Quote