JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 18-10-2009 , 03:13 PM #1
minnie pal

Default water features/IDEA CHANGED - VIEWS NEEDED!

a person has let me down mega. she was going to install two water features and just bailed out of country!
I bought a sort of waterfall thingy from woodies, at a good price and we were going to add rocks and alpines and a guy here drilled a hole in my masonry to get access to internal socket too.
also i was going to have a planter and two saucer shaped planters one on top of oter to have a small water shoot fountain. I am left with this and i bought a small pump for this.
I really dont know where to start, is it difficult.
is it the same principle as a small house water feature, only the lines outside have to be for outside.
with te power point being in the house and threading trough to it.
xxall the help i can get.
minnie pal
CHANGE OF IDEA- I saw a wonderful water barrel pond in a garden mag, surrounded by odd cut bamboo stakes all round with small pots full of plants also at odd angles, shale or slate scattered and a small peeping buddha in amongst it all.
Now that i have the bamboo plant which is amazing, will i plant the bamboo in this main planter and place beside it this type of barrel pond, with maybe water lilies and reeds, wouldnt that be more natural and in keeping with Buddha on the plinth in the raised bed?
Opinions needed, oh dilemna of design and small places!
Attached Images

minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 18-10-2009 , 04:59 PM #2
cascade35

hi Minnie.

can you put up some photos of the water feature and area where its going to be? this will make it easier to advise you.
cascade35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-10-2009 , 09:42 PM #3
Zoomdog

you know minnie this is one of those plans that I had and just have not had time to finish just yet..

so to your questions..
for the water feature .. I presume it is a ready made item .. that all you have to do is plug in and off it goes..

first thing to get is electrical cable you can trust .. lidl/aldi .. often do an external socket unit that you could use.. alternatively I would recommend you hop into your nearest electrical wholesale provider .. look for a wiring that is suitable for outdoor usage.. if possible run the cable through water piping (if cars travel over this area surround in sand) as this will provide extra protection and do bury it
as you have the hole in your masonry .. all you will need to do is feed the cable in and have it on a timer.

as for the plants .. well She who one must obey .. constantly informs me that I am not allowed to buy/acquire any more plants for my project until I get it finished ..
there are plenty of sites out there and dont forget your local library as there will be readers digest how tos and gardening books there for research ..

as you bought the pump separate .. you need to be aware of the output of this pump and will it be too powerful for your fountain ..only testing your unit will tell this ..

remember it is a simple process of taking the water from one area and forcing it to another .. and repeating this over and over..

best of luck on this project.. do remember nothing ventured nothing gained..

again .. once you have it working and in position you can then think about your plants and planters .. dont put the horse before the cart.. only works in Supercars..
Zoomdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-10-2009 , 09:48 PM #4
minnie pal

Default you a star!

thanks zoomerrr.

I looked up some books tonight on te bloody water features. It looks simple.
one of te features is all fake and i was to er, make it 'unfake like' the other was to be made from scratch, I think i can cope with it. as yu say, nothing ventured nothing gained.
any good word on what i think is a 'dying laptop; as its got very iffy over past few days, am lucky i can send this. hope i can.
xminnie pal
Old Posted: 18-10-2009 , 10:01 PM #5
Zoomdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie pal
thanks zoomerrr.

I looked up some books tonight on te bloody water features. It looks simple.
one of te features is all fake and i was to er, make it 'unfake like' the other was to be made from scratch, I think i can cope with it. as yu say, nothing ventured nothing gained.
any good word on what i think is a 'dying laptop; as its got very iffy over past few days, am lucky i can send this. hope i can.
xminnie pal

Minnie .. on the laptop that is something I can help out on ..
firstly defrag it ..
scan it .. (use malware bytes - http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php)
and install your antivirus on it .. I recomment antivir http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1...antivirus.html or avast http://www.avast.com/ - home version .. nice and free (remember dont install 2 antivirus products on the one pc) and good and rated higher than the well known versions you have to pay for.
I am presuming when you say dying .. that it is only going slow.. as the options above will do the trick for you ..
if it is a hardware issue .. then it all depends on the age of your laptop ... and will depend on what you use your laptop for .. if it is only browsing then there are a multitude of models out there.. personally I run on a recycled hp ..

hope that helps out ..
Old Posted: 18-10-2009 , 10:35 PM #6
minnie pal

Default laptop is everything

this gizmo has been worked to death! it is an apple mac and i do all my potography, photoshop, skype, emailing, browsing and its on 24/7.

Well more or less. It zaps out and i am like someone who has lost her soulmate!!!!
xxminnie pal.
tis about five years old. Service?
xxminnie pal
Old Posted: 18-10-2009 , 10:41 PM #7
Zoomdog

know little or nothing on apples ..
but sounds like a hardware issue ..

you could try and run it with out battery and only mains connected..
also could be air fan needing a good clean out .. tin of compressed air to blow this out..

not sure on an apple shop in your area .. typetec are near red cow.. being apple vendor/support they may be expensive..
Old Posted: 19-10-2009 , 07:31 PM #8
Chris P
Administrator

Default Uploading Photos: Instructions

Please see #9 in the User Tips post for instructions on how to resize and upload photos:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=52598
Chris P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-10-2009 , 11:47 AM #9
cascade35

Default Hi minni

what a lovely feature, will you post photos here when its up and running.

Best of luck with it.
cascade35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-10-2009 , 08:25 PM #10
minnie pal

Default i will

I will when i know how to set the darn thing up!
xminnie pal
Old Posted: 22-10-2009 , 09:35 PM #11
minnie pal

Default anyone know...

How to start this up? all i have is the pump and i know i have to place it below the water line maybe on a stone and attach a spout, with a pond liner and then chicken wire to place stones and thats it eh? i read that to help get at the dial to regulate the strength of spout one should place the pump to the side. how do i get the line to the socket so that its not showing over the rim of the main oxagonal planter?
xxhelp here much appreciated.
minnie pal