Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 20-05-2011 , 11:12 AM #1
Philomena6196

Default How to paint wooden fire surround

Hi guys
Not very good at DIY or painting but my house needs a revamp. I live in a rented house so its important i get it right or i'll be in trouble :)

The fire surround is mahogany, and i want it cream, it looks varnished but its not shiny so maybe thats just the colour

what kind of paint should i use and can i put it straight on? I was thinking a spray would be safer as i'm not very good at painting, this would give me a better finish?

Any tips?
Philomena6196 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 20-05-2011 , 03:17 PM #2
Leo1

I have no advice to offer on how to paint but you should check with your landlord that he is ok with it being done. I wouldn't be impressed if someone painted my mahogany fireplace white!!
Leo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-05-2011 , 03:41 PM #3
Philomena6196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1
I have no advice to offer on how to paint but you should check with your landlord that he is ok with it being done. I wouldn't be impressed if someone painted my mahogany fireplace white!!

Believe me anything i do will be an improvement the house in a bad state i already gave him new flooring and new kitchen as well as a complete redecoration and colour scheme all fixtures fittings curtains lampshades etc all free of charge and he was happy when he saw it. The house has been rented out since the day it was bought they are very easy going once the rent is paid. Did all that When times werent so hard of course :(

Mahogany sounds expensive but it not real its the cheap stuff as was the laminate grey kitchen yuck!

Thanks though I mite check with him just in case!
Philomena6196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-05-2011 , 05:31 PM #4
Scrabble

My only advice would be to be careful of the type of paint you choose. Because its a fireplace the paint just might bubble up if it gets hot. There are different types of paint and sprays and they should tell you if they are suitable at certain temps.
Regards
Scrabble
Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote