JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 14-04-2009 , 11:59 AM #1
EI1429

Default Starting out..... Kill the grass

Fastest way to kill off the grass?? Been told to spray a light coat of red diesel or Kerocene from the home heating oil tank (LIGHT COAT) Will this work?
EI1429 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 14-04-2009 , 12:38 PM #2
Coasters

i'm not sure red diesel would be very good for the ground at all, i've used resolva concentrate (you'll get it in the hardware shop) and it worked very, very well, you have to spray it when its dry and not going to rain for a few hours, if you have cats or dogs you only need to keep them off it till its dry (not for 24 hours like other killers) and in about 7 days to 2 weeks the grass will be yellow and dead.
Coasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-04-2009 , 03:31 PM #3
EI1429

Default Killing the grass

Right...... well look the problem is that the garden is flooding badly and i need to remove what ever soil is there and the chances of me putting something on the grass which works when the grass is dry is out of the question.
i have about 3in of soil before you hit stone, and i think the stone is so well compacted no water is getting through. I have posted on the wanted list for Wavan Piping, Stone and TopSoil. This will get me dranage and the ability to rase the garden some-what. I am in Ballinrobe in Mayo if anyone can help with that by the way. Right i will keep going :-(
Many Thanks
Brendan
Old Posted: 19-04-2009 , 01:38 PM #4
snowdaisy

Default aargh

diesel will poison your soil. I suggest it could be worth a go to remove soil, grass and all, to side of garden, deal with springs / water logging then replace soil with extra topsoil on top then plant new grass, diesel will stay in soil and destroy it.
snowdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-04-2009 , 01:41 PM #5
EI1429

Default diesel

Yea i had a feelin about that, Your man Jerimy Clarkson says diesel is the fuel of the devil!!!! ha well put i sapose. someone had mensioned RoundAll or something? its about €30 a bottle, but sure my garden is huge! Dam irish weather :-(
Old Posted: 25-04-2009 , 07:59 AM #6
sparklyirisheyes

Default grass

why do you want to kill your grass? Are you starting over? If so, I suggest you hire a rotavator and do it that way. We have ahuge garden too and our grass was all patchy and ground was all uneven so we have just tried to repair using repair seed and ignore the unevenness! For weeds etc, i agree with the poster above, Resolva is excellent I've heard
sparklyirisheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-04-2009 , 10:37 AM #7
steptoes

Default killing the grass

Yes it will kill your grass but it is a very dangerous way to do it and not environmentally friendly either. If somebody drops a cigarette what will happen? and it will make it difficult if not impossible to grow anything in afterwards. I have been renovating an old house and garden over the last few years and have put old carpet upside down so that you see the hessian side - ideally then cover with bark mulch. It does a great job with no harm to anybody. Natural carpet- wool breaks down and lets the rain etc pass through. Synthetic carpet will do the job too but obviously does not rot as well or let moisture through easily so it can get a bit soggy. I hope this helps
steptoes is offline   Reply With Quote