JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 23-05-2013 , 06:35 AM #1
palminnie1

Default putting down checked linoleum

i ordered grey and white check lino to be placed on the diagonal in a relatively small kitchen.
i came home yesterday, hall door wide open and the lino had been put down without me being there or even knowing it was to be put tdown that day.
it wasnt stuck down as i had thought.
it wasnt on the diagonal
at the edges it was buckled and in several places buckled.
under one cabinet they had cut it short and not up to the boundary wall so i cannot now move that even if wanted to.
in the broom cupboard they left about two feet of lino but couldnt be bothered to remove items to press in the lino.
they later told me that the lino could not be stuck down and the join when placed on the diagonal would be messy.
i knew there may had been a join but this was discussed with the contractor and i had always wanted this.
any ideas or are all my thinking on this completely off.
i am so so distressed this morning.
i have put everything back and giving al this a bit of a think.
the company said if i wasnt happy they would take it up and replace with something else.
but i had liked the lino and still do.
but not the way it has been laid at all at all
palminnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 25-05-2013 , 12:28 PM #2
Athy55

Well I'd be 'up in arms' and I'd demand they come back and do the jobs as I had requested or I'd see them in the small claims court, whichever suited them best and I'd tell them to go source the lino you want if they have no more in stock. Do not accept shoddy workmanship in this time of recession when there are so many out there willing to do the job properly. We none of us have money to spare never mind waste on this type of carry on. I wish I lived beside you, I'd give them hell on your behalf!
Athy55
Athy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-05-2013 , 01:08 AM #3
Gormal

Oh my goodness that is horrendous!
1. They should not have laid it without you present or someone who knew what you wanted.
2. You asked for something specific, in how it was laid and they failed to do as asked.
3. It wasn't laid properly or there wouldn't be buckles and it only need stuck down maybe round the edges and the join, but mostly just the join. I've laid lino and never stuck it down, and it never buckled or moved. But it would need stuck at the join.

Bunch of cowboys!

Ok get back to the boss and tell him that they came and made a complete mess of the job, not only did they not lay it as specified, they damaged it by not fitting it correctly and never joined it. Tell him you're furious at the shoddy service you have received and to come out immediately to rectify the problem.
If they don't fix it as it should've been done as per your agreement then demand a full refund. Oh and watch them like a hawk when they come to fit it, make sure it's done the way you asked and fits wall to wall like it was there before the units.

Don't stress out, it's only lino! It can be fixed.
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-05-2013 , 10:20 PM #4
palminnie1

Default the lino again

hi thank for this.
so you actually think that grey lino can be done on the diagonal and joined well, the cement ground floor is quite smooth, in fact very smooth?
they keep saying the join will be ugly but why?
and will it be very damaged by a powered wheelchair, its i think the thin hardy version, not the spongy type. i really feel i want to stick to my guns on this lino, it could look lovely really nice.
the contractor brought over two big books of samples and dumped them at my door on sat morning, horrible stuff and wont be putting any down. the arguement continues, the lino join will be visible, the stuff would be wrecked by the wheelchair, poffle i say, i think it would be fine.
or shall i just abandon this and get some grey and white floor tiles, which have a bit of bite so that i dont slip on the bloody things?
Old Posted: 27-05-2013 , 07:24 AM #5
palminnie1

Default rung italian tiles

hi, i have rung this company, 'italian tiles and something!!
and asked them about grey and white tiles and they are getting back to me. i will send on the measurements and stuff so that i can get a quote i think this is the better option.
Old Posted: 27-05-2013 , 02:31 PM #6
palminnie1

Default measured up area of this kitchen

the kitchen area is 127inches x 201 inches.
the contractor tells me if i want it on the diagonal i will have to fork out in excess of 400e which i have not got.
my architect says to try get these rogues out and the sub contractor of the flooring has said it will come smooth the bumps and make it better.
they say the lino does not get stuck due to movement if it is very hot and it contracts and expands.
they need skirting boards and i have asked the contractor on this.
i am crying here and feel bereft for any one the HSE and the council to leave a person to deal with these guys all alone without the support and have them walk all over me, which they have done.
Old Posted: 28-05-2013 , 03:36 PM #7
Gormal

Yes it can be done on the diagonal, the join will be in exactly the same place as where it is now. I don't see how laying it pattern diagonally makes the join suddenly ugly. I think the guys can't do what you want because they are cowboys. Obviously it would cost slightly more to have it done this way but not what was quoted. The lino will be stuck at the join regardless.

1.You can demand a refund as they did not do what they were contracted to do. This could take time and cause lots of stress for you. "the company said if i wasn't happy they would take it up and replace with something else.",

2. You could stick with the lino get the guy to sort out the bumps etc, but if it's not wall to wall because they cut it wrong, then you are entitled to a replacement free of charge. but then the skirting might hide it? This would be the least stressful, at least you'd have the lino you chose even if it's the wrong way.
That way you'd be rid of them and could move forward, whilst giving them glowing references that they don't want ;)
Old Posted: 29-05-2013 , 10:03 PM #8
palminnie1

Default two more days!! woa!

i have two more days of this bunch out!
one of the lads so pleased to tell me he had put a shelf in a made cabinet over the cooker and when i went to see it had four nails in four corners, now you know what i am talking about!!!!!!!!!
Old Posted: 30-05-2013 , 05:32 PM #9
Gormal

Geez best option is to get them out and asap! before they do anymore damage
Old Posted: 30-05-2013 , 11:34 PM #10
palminnie1

Default out tomorrow!

there guys are OUT tomorrow! party time folks, party time!!!!!
Old Posted: 30-10-2013 , 10:30 PM #11
palminnie1

Default builders still not out a year later

you wont believe it!
builders not out.
had to get in architect to make sure more damage done.
snag list next two weeks.
after that they out.
it was a year of hell for a relatively small job, gomal, yes, cowboys and from hell.
Old Posted: 27-09-2019 , 09:31 AM #12
Manika

Besides the fact that you need to put linoleum correctly, you also need to take good care of it, clean it only with special means that will not damage your linoleum. Then for a long time your linoleum will not need to be replaced. For example, here https://bestcleaneradviser.com/how-t...s-with-bleach/ in the article there is a description of what devices and cleaning products you can clean linoleum.
Manika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-09-2019 , 07:47 PM #13
tudlytops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manika
Besides the fact that you need to put linoleum correctly, you also need to take good care of it, clean it only with special means that will not damage your linoleum. Then for a long time your linoleum will not need to be replaced. For example, here https://bestcleaneradviser.com/how-t...s-with-bleach/ in the article there is a description of what devices and cleaning products you can clean linoleum.

We've had lino in our kitchen, hall and bedrooms, same lino for about 12 years now, with no special products or cleaners of any kind...
tudlytops is offline   Reply With Quote