JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 02-08-2009 , 09:18 PM #1
minnie pal

Default Laminate flooring can't be reused -- Is this true?

I took up all the laminate flooring plus the underfloor stuff that comes with the flooring.
A few workmen have told me that it wont go down well now that it has been taken up.
I was rehoused in much smaller place and was hoping to reuse.
a guy explained that every so often the 'layers' put a bit of glue along the edge, to keep it all stable and this is what makes it difficult to put down a second time.
True or false? I am swimming in laminate flooring, which wasnt cheap when i bought it.
advice needed here,
xminnie pal
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 02-08-2009 , 09:26 PM #2
User_Friendly

Default It's like this

FIRSTLY any trades man you ask will tell you that you are wrong and that it must be fitted by an experienced person ie. themselves. In short they will have you believe that only THEY could do the job. WHY? well because they want your money is WHY.

Simply remove the glue, give them a quick sand along the edges, use a proper flooring glue (from Woodies etc.) and away you go. It's that simple. No professionals necessary.
User_Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-08-2009 , 09:28 PM #3
summersun

Hi Minnie,

I was told the same thing... As they use a bar and block to put the flooring down, i found where they removed a board if it didnt go down properly sometimes the male edge was a bit worn from being clicked into the female side, all i can say is have a look at all the edges and have a look at what condition they are in.

They didnt glue my floors????

hope this helps a bit, you may be able to claim if this is the case, as i know mine came with a 10 year guarantee, worth a look into and a letter off to the manufacturer, worth it for the cost of a stamp... you might get a replacement... ill write the letter for you ;~)

Summersun

What's the result on your house colour by the way.... and the fence,

eagerly awaiting the result

Summersun
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-08-2009 , 09:29 PM #4
User_Friendly

Default And as well

As well. Most Trades men will also have you believe that you can't reuse the boards but that you should BUY new ones, from them of course !!!!!!!

I'm sure you're well capable of doing the job yourself and in a week or so I have some spare time so I'd even give you a hand just to prove them wrong :)
User_Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-08-2009 , 12:14 AM #5
lyn27

got laminate flooring off this a couple of months ago and it looks lovely in my sitting room looks like new and you would never know it was reused.
was very impressed didnt expect it to look that good

thanks jumbletown
lyn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-08-2009 , 12:19 AM #6
minnie pal

Default thanks everyone!

I dont think i am up to the task! Summersun, you made me laugh, as for the walls of 'hoose' and the railings, just a trite bit uncomfortable to try either until the second neighbour comes off 'the soup'
er as the other neighbour calls 'the drink'
well the soup eater has an amazing voice, says the deaf woman who happened to have one of the hearing aids the dog DiDNT get!
the said deafy is mise here, and I would love to cobble a granny for money off offers.
I think i shall go for cork tiles, are they any easier?
if so, i have tons of the ruddy laminate up for grabs, i couldnt go through all this hassle, eco/money saving or whatever, carbon foot prints or bloody painful knees!
minnie pal
Old Posted: 03-08-2009 , 12:21 AM #7
minnie pal

Default Lyn!

Can i cobble the floor layer to do mine in exchange for -soup?
xminnie pal
Old Posted: 03-08-2009 , 12:24 AM #8
minnie pal

Default summersun

I have plummed for sage! with a purple door?
Have none of ye a bed to go to?
the chis are very comfortable in the MIDDLE of mine and me half leaning to one side to accommodate, well they will soon find out that tis MY bed not theirs.
xminnie pal
Old Posted: 03-08-2009 , 12:44 AM #9
lyn27

haha i like soup
lyn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-08-2009 , 01:07 AM #10
thepallasbull

Hi MInnie pal,1thing what was not mentioned was quicklock flooring
which requires no glue and can be reused 3 times over the difference is that the cheap flooring has tounge and groove which fist staight into each other where quick lock hooks into the previous board when fitting these you hold the board at a 45 degree angle to previous board to get the head in and when you are happy that its in straight press down towards the floor to lock it in place
average time with ordinary flooring to do a 10x10 room 2hours
average time with quick lock 30 minutes or so
thepallasbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-08-2009 , 09:47 PM #11
minnie pal

Default why oh why did i start this thread!!!

Look folks, tech aside, your posts are giving me nightmares, do i do it or not, are they male/female or quicklock!!!
some offer help for soup, others say dont even try, others say "tis grand, bloody grand go ahead it will be FANTASTIc,"
who invented these things, clicking flatpack floors, I am sure the victorians never had such trouble, just pull down a tree or two and they will last the same time on the floor dead as they would have done alive!
Give me a break, come to my abode and see the stuff, under the suite of furniture, behind all the bookcases, out in the yard, in the kitchen, its everywhere but on the ground, normal like! or fake normal, the option is yours entirely!
xminnie pal
Old Posted: 04-08-2009 , 09:10 AM #12
irishrose

Default laminate flooring

If you've gotten the flooring up and the boards separated, there's really no reason you can't put them down again. We put laminate in a very large entry. We were complete novices and it looks fantastic. It's a tile-look laminate and people keep thinking it's actual tile.
irishrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-08-2009 , 11:07 PM #13
jennie

I'll second Irishrose, once they came up easily & separated easily you can re-use them!
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-08-2009 , 10:20 PM #14
minnie pal

Default separating

some came up well and some didnt. Was at B&Qand saw some very nice vynl floor tiling and feel that the laminate is too big a job for me anyway, a handyman would not do it for me and said too much time for too little money.
I am not too well so really wouldnt be up to trying to get it all neat and good looking.
I think i will plumb for the tiling and maybe put the laminate on here or gumtree.
xxminnie pal