Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 10-07-2009 , 09:19 AM #16
Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin
Hi Only, 'fraid i'm no expert but I think while they're in full growth is a good time, so summer is good. And mine were in flower but I took the non-flowering shoots. I didn't cut the tops off but I did cut most of the leaves from the bottom up and only left 3 or 4 at the top. Never tried lilac though, maybe it's one of those difficult ones(like hawthorn which didn't work for me).
If it's a hard and woody stem then maybe autumn is better, i did fuchshia hard woody stems about a foot long last oct and all of them rooted and survived the cold winter outside so maybe that'd work with lilac.
Best of luck with them
M.

Thanks a million for the advice Mandolin! It was early summer when I tried the lavender so I think I'll try it again later in the Autumn this year ... fingers crossed!
Only
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-03-2010 , 04:24 PM #17
Mandolin

Default Veg seeds

I've some seeds from last year that I won't be using, they're still good though: Brussel sprouts; Tom Thumb lettuce; Super Roma tomato (for making sauces with, very fleshy) - if anyone's interested.
mandolin
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-03-2010 , 10:34 PM #18
dee1

Default seeds

Would like to take you up on the offer,if I can sae.
dee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-03-2010 , 11:11 PM #19
Mandolin

Default veg seeds

dee1, I have only a few left now but you might as well have them, pm me your address & i'll stick them in the post this week. Mandolin
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-04-2010 , 09:53 PM #20
SLCB

Default Clippings, cuttings etc.

Just read this posting and thread, I'll follow it for all the advise. I moved to West Limerick last year and now have a garden or what will become one! I brought loads of potted plants with me and sadly they are still in pots, loads to be done and learnt before I can try flowerbeds. I have a window box planted with small lily bulbs (divided bulbs last year) if anyone would like them. Obviously they cannot be posted. I forgot to put that in when I first posted the thread.
SLCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-04-2010 , 11:03 PM #21
dee1

Default bulbs

yes please i'd like some if possible,pm your postage details.
dee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-07-2010 , 02:17 PM #22
gardengirl

Default Fast growing trees

Can anyone advise where to get cheap fast growing trees for a very windy large garden area in the West of Ireland as everything I plant has no shelter at the moment. I would appreciate knowing the growth rate expected in a year and the best time to plant etc. if possible.
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-07-2010 , 07:35 AM #23
knockduff

Default Fast Growing Trees

Hi Gardengirl

The lealand conifer is very fast growing. It is not native to this country. If you go onto www.gardenhedgingonline.co.uk you can read all about the different varieties, their height and growing rate. You can get them in any of the garden centres and the cost depends on the maturity of the plant.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Knockduff
knockduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-08-2010 , 10:36 AM #24
sarah_ryan

Hi,
Garden plants is a fertile and beautiful region provided with open areas and greenery, so it is very much essential to take proper care of it.
sarah_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-09-2010 , 09:16 AM #25
Tribesman06

There is an organisation called GIY (Grow it yourself) and they have groups all over the country. Locations can be found on their website. They have very informative meetings, which do not assume a phd in horticulture. They also have a system of swopping plants, seeds, cuttings etc. I know there is one in Oranmore or are very open to people starting their own. Meetings are usually once a month.
Tribesman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-09-2010 , 01:20 AM #26
SLCB

Default Gyo

The GYO group sounds really good, I moved to West Limerick two years ago and havent really gotten to know anyone yet so having people to share advise about trying to get my garden the way I'd like would be great. I'm going to try found out if there is a group in this area. Thanks for the idea.
SLCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-09-2010 , 06:27 PM #27
castlereagirl

oooohhh im in, my gardens nearly an acre + i can only manage to keep the front of it respectable at moment, back bits like a field, would like to plant some hedgeing that will disguise the back bit until i can organise it a bit better
castlereagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-09-2010 , 09:46 PM #28
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default cheap plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie pal
Thanks for answering mandolin! i look forward to hearing from you.
would it be ok if you PM me on this? I am not sure STILL how to work this site but one thing for sure, i seem to get notified when a pm is sent so that way I really, really know a quest, question, prob, request has been seen and answered!!!!!
xminnie pal
Hi Minniepal, have been reading this blog and have seen your lovely garden photos. Woodies have usually a couple of trollies in their garden centre with plants reduced. Once it comes to the end of a season the plants have to go. I got loads of herbs for 10c each--a bit pot bound and straggly but cheered up when planted with room to stretch their toes, sorry roots!! The other day I called in and got trays of winter flowering pansies and violas with 10 plants in each for 50c, also an ornamental grass which was pot bound and had lots of 'babies' growing out of the original. took it out of the pot and split it-got 20 mini plants but they will grow. They have chrysanthemums too 6 for 50c. These are good as they come back every year. You can get a lot of plants for a few €. Cheers, Eibhlin.
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote