Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 23-08-2008 , 12:08 PM #1
Tribesman06

Default Storing potatoes.........HELP

HI,
I've planted spuds as a first timer this year and hey presto they grew. Now that it's time to lift them I need advice on how to store them. Any suggestions?
Thank You.
Tribesman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 23-08-2008 , 01:24 PM #2
kilk

when i was a lad, we used to grow spuds and at this time of year lift and store them by piling them together in the field on a thick bed of rushes and then cover them with more rushes and cover that with soil, then another covering of rushes and more soil. this kept them safe from frost. when it was finished the "hole" of spuds looked similar to a new grave. (excuse the comparison).
hope this helps.
kilk

ps keep the hole as far away as possible from fences etc or it may attract vermin looking for a warm nest for the winter.
kilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-08-2008 , 02:00 PM #3
Tribesman06

Thanks Kilk. That will be an option next year when I go mad planting but I should have pointed out that I don't have a huge quantity.
Old Posted: 23-08-2008 , 02:31 PM #4
the young one

Default A bath from JT

Stick them in a bath - there's often one on offer on JT - and cover with stray/clay layers. M
the young one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-08-2008 , 08:38 PM #5
ace

Default storing spuds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribesman06
HI,
I've planted spuds as a first timer this year and hey presto they grew. Now that it's time to lift them I need advice on how to store them. Any suggestions?
Thank You.
Hi Tribesman06.
Hope this information will be of help.
You need a timber box or crate.(any size) even a tomato crate will do.
Line the bottom with newspaper . put layer of sand approx. 1/4 inch then put a layer of spuds on top.Cover with sand now a layer of newspaper 3 to 4 sheets thick. Then repeat unitl box is full. one layer at a time only. this can be stored anywhere.
Do not wash spuds. Any clean sand will do.
Spuds should last till next season.
This is the old way of storing spuds.
If you need any information i will PM my hubbys number and he will explain.
ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-08-2008 , 10:25 PM #6
Bettybooboopbedoop

ace is right. Thats how I remember it done.......in the old days....... I'm sure there's more modern versions but this way works and is probably the easiest too.
Bettybooboopbedoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-08-2008 , 11:12 PM #7
Tribesman06

Thanks to everyone who has replied here and by pm. I now have options which is great. All I need now is for the rain to stop so that I can lift them!!!!!!!

A sincere Thank You
Old Posted: 23-08-2008 , 11:28 PM #8
noni

Default storing potatoes

I think you can also just store them in some peat moss in a black bag or fertiliser
bag to keep the light out so they dont go green.
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-08-2008 , 07:20 AM #9
Ocker

Default Pit o spuds

The way Kilkie outlined was the way we did it longo. The thing looked like an elongated pyramid. We used to have to turn the spuds during the year and this was a lousy job. If you have just a small lot use cardboard boxes and straw. Keep the light out and don't use plastic or they will sweat. The spud is the only food on the planet on which you can survive (provided you keep a few for poitín making)
Ocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-08-2008 , 04:26 PM #10
benny26

Default storing Spuds

Hi all spud lovers
Seening your thought on spuds and one from another Jumble Townes to another had me thinking of the old days with my uncal

As to what to do with spuds, To help in this I have a picture as to what a spud mound looks like.

You can see in the picture that the wire is covering the mound from the birds but if you are making one you could put a sheet of builders expandal wird at the bottom of the mound to stop mise and birds from picking at it.

You can get it at any diy hard ware has this wireing.

This one is covered with old sack and caly from the field and covered with a wire so the birds wont pick it, But for this you would have to have a few driles of spuds to make this worth your time in saveing them.

You can also pot a large bucket of spuds and and fill the top with some of caly from the garden so that they wont turn Green on you, and we cant have thet.

But DONT put the buchet out side as the rain will fill the bucket and spoil the hard work

Add in the 11/7/2008
Here is another picture I got from a Seasonal Gardening book that I got in Oxfam it has a clear picture as to what a potato storage lookes like.
In the box there is carrot being stored but you could use the same idea to store potato, turnips, beetroot, parsnips, to this would be four small amount but the box can be biger to fit the crop you have.

What do you think
Attached Images

benny26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-08-2008 , 05:47 PM #11
kilk

hi Ocker, we never turned ours! strange how neighbouring counties differ.
Old Posted: 26-08-2008 , 06:06 PM #12
Ocker

We used to rub out the eyes during turning Kilkie. And woebetide anyone who just rolled the top ones over the bottom ones. There had to be a clear gap between the turned and unturned ones. I think it was to try to preserve them a bit longer. Please don't tell me it was unnecessary !!! (We never turned the turf though )
Ocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-08-2008 , 11:31 PM #13
kilk

sorry to be the stone in the chips Ocker my friend, but there was no need to turn them! we used to give some to the local takeaway from the hole too and there was never a complaint. somebody was taking you for a potatoe head i think!
you must have a very dry bog not to have to turn turf tho.
Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 10:09 AM #14
connie1

Default small out house

We store our spuds in a small out house. it is dry and dark. never turned them or covered them. as long as the sun light didnt get in they are fine till next year.
connie1 is offline   Reply With Quote