JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 10-12-2008 , 09:20 AM #1
John Kieran

Default Residential Wind Turbines

Hi one and all, anyone with any information about setting up a small wind turbine system for the home, thinking of setting up a system for new year, but would like some advice

Merry Christmas

J.K.
John Kieran is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 11-12-2008 , 12:06 PM #2
Fries-With-That

Default Wind Turbine

Hi John,

This is an area I am very interested in as I need power in a remote off grid location.
I am experimenting with a small home made turbine at present and getting ok results, Its charging small 12v batteries.

I have links to a few websites that you can browse if you're interested.

Pm me if you want me to send you the links.

See attached picture for my first turbine. produces 13v to 19v approx depending on wind.

This is made from all recycled materials the only thing I bought for this was a small bridge rectifier from maplins for under €3.00.

The frame for this is from a bike ( from Jt member in portlaoise)
The blades are made from 4inch sewer pipe saved from a skip ( my own design cut with a jigsaw).
The Hub is a scrap bit of marine plyboard.
The tail is from a broken childs bike (the numberplate)
The wire is the flex from an old nilflisk hoover ( I used this because it doesn't kink as easily as normal cable).
The tower is a weights Bar that daughters boyfriend contributed to the project.
Total cost for this in terms of materials is about 5euro.
Attached Images

Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-12-2008 , 01:01 PM #3
Ruthy

Default wind turbine

Built that yourself!! Very impressive. Could you send me the links to websites you mentioned?

Ruth
Ruthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-12-2008 , 01:03 PM #4
tomson

hi jhon, very interested turbine please send me links.tks drumlark.
tomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-12-2008 , 01:26 PM #5
bluecurlygirl

Default Wow!

Any chance of just posting the links up here by any chance? That's very impressive.
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-12-2008 , 03:39 PM #6
John Kieran

If you could post links on site for everyone that is interested that would be great...
John Kieran
Old Posted: 11-12-2008 , 08:23 PM #7
unapam

Default turbine

I'd also be very interested in knowing more about these. Great job Fries, if you can get 17 to 19 from it - what does it translate into in use?
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-12-2008 , 09:46 PM #8
Fries-With-That

Default Wind Turbine

Nice to see That I'm not the only one interested in the weird and wonderful world of wind turbines.

Links to websites,

http://gotwind.forumco.com/forum~FORUM_ID~2.asp

http://www.otherpower.com/turbineplans.html

http://www.fieldlines.com/section/wind

These sites have some great information, but a little word of caution, before you sign up and start asking question after question I suggest you do some research on the sites themselves. Any question you come up with has been answered and some of the people on these websites hate answering questions that they have already answered.

My own Turbine is small compared with what some of these people are building ( scale it to suit yourself).

For more info on my turbine I have edited the post to say what each part is made from.

Regards,

Fries.
Old Posted: 11-12-2008 , 09:46 PM #9
Bawnie

Default Wind Turbines

That's a very impressive turbine you have, I'd also be interested in the information. Thank you.
Bawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-12-2008 , 01:08 AM #10
Bibi

Default Wind Turbines.

WOW...Amazing.

Well done Fries & thanks for posting such interesting ( & I have no doubt, useful ) links/information.

Regards
Bibi
Bibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-12-2008 , 01:12 PM #11
John Kieran

Default Wind Power!!

I dont have much expereince in these wonderful things, but I'm thinking of giving myself a little project for next year...to start with I would like to hear from more experienced people then me, in that I would like to install lighting in my shed, but would like it to be able to power itself ie wind....I need some clue about what to do so anyone out there willing to give me some clues, bring them on...

J.K
Old Posted: 15-12-2008 , 07:20 PM #12
summersun

Hi Fries..... What an amazing brain you have there is an opening of a business there opportunity for you..... You really could do something with this
Well done
Summersun,
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-12-2008 , 08:12 PM #13
Fries-With-That

Default Wind power

Thanks for the compliments , I'm beaming.

John if you want some help on where to start PM me and I'll give you a few basic pointers. Its easier to start with a small scale turbine ( you can get a readily usuable motor from something as small as a photocopier) these tiny motors are capable of powering small led lights like you can buy in the € store.

The best thing about these small home made turbines is that many of the parts are freely available if you know what you're looking for.

I had this one connected to 5 12v christmas lights and it gave enough light outside the back door as to be a deterrant to cats. Because they were connected directly the lights went on and off as the wind rose and fell.

Regards,

Fries.
Old Posted: 16-12-2008 , 02:45 PM #14
Costellon

Default Wind turbine

Hello all, just thought that i'd contribute a few words as I used to live on my own boat for a few years and tried to generate my own power from the sun and wind and found it very frustrating (specially when running a 5 kw central heating system, lights etc...all off a 12v system) A good source of information about wind turbines are to be found in marine websites, e.g. look up: Rutland, AirX etc..and pay particular interest to wattage, ampage, battery management systems and the batteries themselves. There is a lot to learn before comitting to installing a system and spending money. As an alternative, check this out, it's the ultimate !

http://www.whispergen.com/ (If I had the money i'd go for one of these systems as experience has taught me that wind and solar don't work very well, not as a primary power supply at any rate).

Now- hydro electricity ! That's a different matter, live on the banks of a river or stream ? If so, lucky you !
Costellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-12-2008 , 09:13 PM #15
Fries-With-That

Default Turbines and Hydro

Hi Costellon,

Nice unit the whispergen.

I think you're right about the difficulties about running a home from combined wind and solar.
I think most people are only interested in running a few small lights in a shed etc.

If the turbines to do this simple task can be made from scrap all the better.

I've also considered the beauty of a minature hydro installation I've procured a mini pelton turbine head and intend trying it out connected to a small PM motor during the summer.

If the motor I'm using is capable of generating enough power I'm considering feeding the pelton from water elevated to a height via a ram pump, no electricity required and electricity generated.

Great to see this topic is provoking interest.

Fries.