Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 10:05 PM #1
kiara

Default Recycled houses?

Hi all, Im finally moving to my very own (council) house, UPDATE; Moving on the 7th of January!

Thing is the house is completly empty so im wondering if any of you resourceful jumbletowners have ideas for low cost renovations, reusing stuff that i might have or am able to get for uses that i might not have thought of??? (unfortunatly im not a visionary- to say the least)

Im usually a dedicated shopper but thats just not an option lately so hopefully you all have some bright ideas???

I would like to recycle/repurpose anything I can!!!

***Garden ideas also welcome***
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 10:13 PM #2
The Mammy

Default congrats

Well Kiara,
Congrats ...You must be very excited, I only have a little bit of advice really and thats...Take your time, Dont try to tackle all at once, do one thing at a time, and enjoy.
Best wishes M
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 10:34 PM #3
gillo

Good luck in your new home, Kiara. If I think of any useful ideas I'll let you know. Mind is blank atm! Best wishes, Gillian
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 10:39 PM #4
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mammy
Well Kiara,
Congrats ...You must be very excited, I only have a little bit of advice really and thats...Take your time, Dont try to tackle all at once, do one thing at a time, and enjoy.
Best wishes M

Thanks 'the mammy' Im afraid time is a luxury that I just dont have (not for the big jobs anyway) Im due our 2nd little bundle of joy at the end of February so Im panicking a little bit! On the other hand I do beleive if its worth doing its worth doing right so anything that can wait, will.

I've seen some amazing ideas from other jumbletowners and it makes me wish I could be more creative minded but I don't 'think outside the box' very well. I am fairly handy though so carrying out the ideas shouldn't be a big problem, now if only I could borrow Unapam's brain... lol
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 10:40 PM #5
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillo
Good luck in your new home, Kiara. If I think of any useful ideas I'll let you know. Mind is blank atm! Best wishes, Gillian

Thanks Gillo :)
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 10:56 PM #6
HappyHunter

Hi Kiara, I was in a similar position to you two and a half years ago regarding finally getting my very own home, as a result of private personal events.

I had been renting for 6 years at that stage but the last place I rented was unfurnished so I had had to come up with furniture for the place. Jumbletown did not exist 8 years ago so I did not have the option of looking here. I bought what I needed 2nd hand and kept it to a minimum, two beds, a suit of furniture, a leatherette sofa I saved from a bonfire (in perfect condition). The house was in terrible condition so whatever I spent was done so on paint and curtains to brighten the place up. Friends who came to visit liked my minimalistic style, no overcrowding with furniture and so on.

I 2nd The Mammy's advice. Make the place comfortable and don't rush into getting loads done - take your time to get a feel for the place and write down a list of the items you really need for each room and stick to it, otherwise you will end up having too much stuff and not enough space.

I have actually painted my entire interior the same throughout, because it saved me money. Get a feel for the place and know what rooms get sun and so on. In time you can decide on different colors for different rooms.

Plan to grow your own vegetables if you have even a small space available - it will save you money in the long term.

Have fun and take your time :) Good Luck in your New Home.

Kathy
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 11:04 PM #7
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHunter
Hi Kiara, I was in a similar position to you two and a half years ago regarding finally getting my very own home, as a result of private personal events.

I had been renting for 6 years at that stage but the last place I rented was unfurnished so I had had to come up with furniture for the place. Jumbletown did not exist 8 years ago so I did not have the option of looking here. I bought what I needed 2nd hand and kept it to a minimum, two beds, a suit of furniture, a leatherette sofa I saved from a bonfire (in perfect condition). The house was in terrible condition so whatever I spent was done so on paint and curtains to brighten the place up. Friends who came to visit liked my minimalistic style, no overcrowding with furniture and so on.

I 2nd The Mammy's advice. Make the place comfortable and don't rush into getting loads done - take your time to get a feel for the place and write down a list of the items you really need for each room and stick to it, otherwise you will end up having too much stuff and not enough space.

I have actually painted my entire interior the same throughout, because it saved me money. Get a feel for the place and know what rooms get sun and so on. In time you can decide on different colors for different rooms.

Plan to grow your own vegetables if you have even a small space available - it will save you money in the long term.

Have fun and take your time :) Good Luck in your New Home.

Kathy

Thanks Kathy, I do plan to paint downstairs the same for the time being and I will be growing veg, as my 3yr old daughter loves gardening at my mums and I've promised that now we have our own place that we will have a veg patch that she can help with and she will have her very own flower bed too! Really looking forward to getting stuck in now, kiara x

***update*** Both my daughter's room and the nursery have small alcoves, any ideas on how to use these for storage/space saving???
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 11:31 PM #8
gillo

Default alcoves

The obvious storage solution to me with alcoves is to put up shelves all up along the height of the wall, that way you have storage space for their books, small toys and even photos etc, without losing any space in the room itself. This is what I did in my daughter's room. Hope it helps
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 11:35 PM #9
unapam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiara
Thanks 'the mammy' Im afraid time is a luxury that I just dont have (not for the big jobs anyway) Im due our 2nd little bundle of joy at the end of February so Im panicking a little bit! On the other hand I do beleive if its worth doing its worth doing right so anything that can wait, will.

I've seen some amazing ideas from other jumbletowners and it makes me wish I could be more creative minded but I don't 'think outside the box' very well. I am fairly handy though so carrying out the ideas shouldn't be a big problem, now if only I could borrow Unapam's brain... lol

Borrow my brain??!!
Ah sufferin' heart..me poor brain is on overtime as it is!

Seriously though, I am delighted you are getting your dream home. You will enjoy it - even in the early days when it is just starting to come together.
Jumbletown is you best resource. You will source all the things you need and then all the things you want! (Give Kiara a digout everyone!)

Best of luck to you and I hope you have a very happy 1st Christmas in you new home.
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 11:47 PM #10
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillo
The obvious storage solution to me with alcoves is to put up shelves all up along the height of the wall, that way you have storage space for their books, small toys and even photos etc, without losing any space in the room itself. This is what I did in my daughter's room. Hope it helps

yes i was thinking of shelves low down for my daughter but maybe a rail over it for clothes, but I'm not sure where I'm going to find such short rails... I'll think of something...
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 11:49 PM #11
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by unapam
Borrow my brain??!!
Ah sufferin' heart..me poor brain is on overtime as it is!

Seriously though, I am delighted you are getting your dream home. You will enjoy it - even in the early days when it is just starting to come together.
Jumbletown is you best resource. You will source all the things you need and then all the things you want! (Give Kiara a digout everyone!)

Best of luck to you and I hope you have a very happy 1st Christmas in you new home.

Thank you unapam, your very kind and we will (hopefully) be in and ready for christmas! kiara x
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 11:57 PM #12
Bunty

Default ^^

Hi Kiara,
It's great to hear to are finally getting the KEYS. May you have many years of happiness & health in your new home. Best of luck with studies also. B.
Old Posted: 06-12-2008 , 12:54 AM #13
magiceight

Congratulations you lucky thing!! I've been on a spree lately of searching for ideas for repurposing and recycling etc. and I've a good few links saved, I'll have a look and post a few up for you :)
Old Posted: 06-12-2008 , 01:00 AM #14
magiceight

Forgot to ask - do you have anything or are you starting from scratch? And what are your main few priorities? I just looked at my favourites list (and all its subfolders :P) and I don't know where to start!!
Old Posted: 06-12-2008 , 12:24 PM #15
toddler

Default Alcoves

You can get lengths of rail from builders merchants, and brakets for it from either the same place or a hardware shop. If you ask nicely they will even cut the poles to size. Good luck with the new home
Tod
Closed Thread