JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 18-08-2007 , 02:29 PM #1
durran

Default Removing reserved items

I find admin a bit quick at removing reserved items from the website.
Also I think the history should include all items even those removed from the active pages.
durran is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 18-08-2007 , 03:32 PM #2
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by durran
I find admin a bit quick at removing reserved items from the website.
Also I think the history should include all items even those removed from the active pages.

Hi durran,

Reserved items are allowed to stay on the Public Forum for 6 days without an update on the thread/ad from the Giver.

If no update is forthcoming, Admin presumes that the item has been taken and that the Giver has forgotten to change the status of the item from Reserved to Taken.

Admin removes these items on the 7th day; they are placed in the Admin Archive, which can not be accessed by Members, i.e., it's hidden. The Admin Archive contains all Taken items and those Reserved items that are presumed to have been taken.

All Reserved items placed in the Admin Archive can be retrieved and reposted on the Public Forum on request from the Giver. So far, we have not deleted any item from this Archive, though this may change as storage space is limited.

The archive (or history, as you call it) that can be viewed by Members shows only those items that are physically still on the Public Forum. We have no intention of including the Reserved items from the Admin Archive in the public archive that is accessed by Members.

If you are a Giver of an item that was Reserved but removed by Admin on the 7th day, all you have to do is send a PM to Admin (Dave Hagan or Chris P), and your item will be reposted.

If you are a potential Taker who responded on a thread that was marked Reserved but removed before being marked Taken, then you should presume that the item has been collected or that the Giver has lost interest in the Giving/Taking process.

Members are expected to monitor and maintain their posts/ads. For Givers, this means responding to expressions of interest from Takers within 3 days, and updating Reserved items within 6 days.

Members sometimes forget to change the status of their item from Reserved to Taken even though the item has been collected. That's why Admin has to stick strictly to the 6-day rule.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
(Likely recipient of the Donald Rumsfeld "Known Knowns and Unknown Knowns" Award, 2007)
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-08-2007 , 05:39 PM #3
durran

Hi
I do't think over 7 days is too long for an item to to be reserved.
You know when we last visited jumbletown I think you should only remove items when people have not visited the site for your 7 days. I always mark items taken when they are taken. If you want to make space remove all the taken items.
When an Item is reserved I think its good that other jumbletowners can still see it, and express an Interest in case the taker changes their mind.
durran
durran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-08-2007 , 06:42 PM #4
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by durran
Hi
I do't think over 7 days is too long for an item to to be reserved.
You know when we last visited jumbletown I think you should only remove items when people have not visited the site for your 7 days. I always mark items taken when they are taken. If you want to make space remove all the taken items.
When an Item is reserved I think its good that other jumbletowners can still see it, and express an Interest in case the taker changes their mind.
durran

Hi durran,

I don't think we're asking too much of Givers to visit the website once a week to update their item from Reserved to Taken or to write a quick note such as "Awaiting collection" on the thread/ad.

We remove most of the Taken items to the (hidden) Admin Archive as it is -- it contains thousands. We leave some of them on the forums for two reasons:

(1) We know from feedback that new Members and Guests like to browse the Taken listings. These Taken threads demonstrate the proper procedures involved in the Giving and Taking process, from the first post to the last, something that the Available and Reserved threads don't show.

(2) More importantly, at any given time, there are more Taken items on the Board than Available or Reserved ones combined. Keywords in these "old" ads/threads help to "pull in" the Google ads, which pay for the hosting of the website.

My own feeling is that allowing Reserved threads to stay on the Board for a longer period of time (without updates) would basically slow down the Giving and Taking process.

Once again, it is the responsibility of the Giver to monitor/maintain their own ads and adhere to the rules of the site as they currently exist. If Givers don't maintain their ads, they can cause disappointment and inconvenience for potential Takers, and extra work for Admin.

Having said all that, I'll put your suggestions to the site's managers and let you know if there are any developments.

Regards
Chris p
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote