JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 25-09-2008 , 04:04 PM #1
unapam

Default Green Christmas Presents

My sister asked me to make her something for Christmas instead of a shop bought item. She has caught the "green" bug from me (see? nagging DOES work!)

She wanted something recylced or repurposed and for me to give the money saved to Chernobyl Children's Charity instead of the shops. I think it is a fabulous idea! Anyone want to join me in making Christmas pressies this year?

What you do is make a small gift and give it and the receipt for the donation to the recipient on Christmas Day. You still spend the same amount, but it ismuch better spent on the children of Chernobyl and your friend or relative receives a thoughtful gift as well (not to mention it is "green" and it cuts out the madness and stress of battling in crowds during the silly season)

I will be showing and telling as I get the items finished. Those jars and painted bottles are ideal for this too. I also have some lovely ideas for "green" gift wrapping that I will be showing you.
Does anyone have ideas for things we could make? C'mon everybody, let's have a Green Christmas...

...So I hereby launch the Chernobyl Children/Christmas Gift Challenge!

UPdate:
This is a cushion cover I made for my sister. The fabric came from a book of swatches from a furnishing shop. I tied a chiffon scarf (Chanel logo) from a charity shop and finished it off with a vintage brooch also from the same charity shop. The scarf and brooch are removable to be worn if she likes.

Update: Here are more of the decorations and gifts I made for Christmas. The rag doll is a dog toy for my little dog who just hates the vet. I will be adding more photos of the items I made today and the Christmas cards I have just started on. I have not done any Christmas shopping so far this year! I spend the time saved crafting.

UPdate: I have added more pictures showing the cushions and lingerie cases I made from a book of fabric samples from a furnishings shop. Most of the fabric is swatches of handmade silk and would be very expensive to buy by the yard. (I have added photos of the fabric swatches still in the sample books)
The small squares are lavender pilllows made from Maxi's vintage fabric she gave me a while ago. They are filled with dried lavender heads harvested from my neighbours garden. These smell divine and are perfect to put into a drawer to infuse your garments with a scent of lavender.

Update: These are the Christmas cards I made using scrap fabric (again from the lovely fabric Maxi gave me on JT recently) The words and patterns I stitched using the embroidery function on my sewing machine.

Bibi just sent me a box of trimmimgs and vintage fabrics and I will be doing a "before and after" project and posting pictures. UPDATE: I have added photos of the bits and bobs Bibi sent me and I made a nightdress case from a vintage lacy chair back and trimmings from this lot. Thanks Bibi. I'm working on the roses ladies handkerchief now...it is going to be a lavender sachet.
Attached Images

unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 25-09-2008 , 04:22 PM #2
ghendy

Default Great Idea

This is a lovely idea as we all spend money on presents that most people don't want or need. And with so many great items offered on Jumbletown , there is no shortage of raw materials! Will have to put my thinking cap on and come up with a few ideas. One idea is a bird table which can be made with just a few bits of wood and can be as simple or as fancy as your talents allow. It also helps the birds through the winter. Happy present making !!! Looking forward to seeing your ideas!
ghendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-09-2008 , 04:58 PM #3
VOL

A few years ago I gave my family little photo albums. They were purchased albums with Mother, Father and sister on them but you could make your own using a scrapbook or something. It's the contents that matter. I went through the old family albums and picked out photos that were significant to each person and they went down very well.
VOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-09-2008 , 04:58 PM #4
unapam

Default bird table

Here is a link I found to making a simple bird table.

http://www.overthegardengate.net/wil...s/birdtble.asp

Also Birdwatch Ireland site have a selection of simple, easy to make bird tables.
Attached Images

Old Posted: 25-09-2008 , 05:04 PM #5
unapam

Default Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL
A few years ago I gave my family little photo albums. They were purchased albums with Mother, Father and sister on them but you could make your own using a scrapbook or something. It's the contents that matter. I went through the old family albums and picked out photos that were significant to each person and they went down very well.

Great idea! I am definately going to try that.
My friend is making a family tree for her father for Christmas. What a lovely present to receive.
Old Posted: 25-09-2008 , 06:38 PM #6
emmaj

Default Spring flowering bulbs

Not a 'completely' free idea unless you already have lots of garden things but a great idea is to pot up some bulbs e.g. tulips or daffs and decorate some pots and give them as a gift which will flower in spring.
emmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-09-2008 , 07:40 PM #7
happiness

Default re:green xmas

my mother in law used to make her own christmas crackers ,from bits of toys that kids got from luckybags .and use the toilet roll (used) and put inside it and wrap it.also a friend o mine decorate her tree.it called a tree of memories,
so for an example a soother was put on the tree to represent the child that used to have it ,then may be other bits but it all got to do with memories on the tree instead of baubles .i think it was an unusual but lovely idea.
i always make my own xmas wreathes for the door and then put it on a loved one grave afterwards so it gets used twice .
mags
happiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-09-2008 , 09:07 PM #8
bluecurlygirl

Default Christmas Tree

I decorate my tree with strings of popcorn and oranges studded with cloves (works as an air freshner too). I do still have tinsel though (sorry hard to part with some things!) For christmas wrapping paper, brown paper, spud with shape cut out of it (star, tree, heart) and using some spare paint stamp it all over, bit of ribbon of a box of chocolates you got (I always keep them - bit of a hoarder) and it's beautiful. Will try and think of more ideas but I'm definitely up for this one. Great idea.
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-09-2008 , 09:09 PM #9
bluecurlygirl

Default Superwoman!

Unapam, you've just renovated a house, you're doing trojan work laying a floor. Where on earth are you going to get time to make something for your sister for Christmas. Tell you what I'll hand make a card that you can give to her if you like?
Old Posted: 26-09-2008 , 12:11 AM #10
unapam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecurlygirl
Unapam, you've just renovated a house, you're doing trojan work laying a floor. Where on earth are you going to get time to make something for your sister for Christmas. Tell you what I'll hand make a card that you can give to her if you like?

I have it made already! I just haven't had time to photo and post it on here! I will post it though (in the fullness of time)... and - a hand made card from you would be great (she makes them too - so would love it) Isn't this fun???? It's called ...livin' life to the full!
Old Posted: 26-09-2008 , 12:13 AM #11
unapam

Default Ideas

Those are awsome ideas! I am going to use them...fabulous! Thanks...Keep 'em comin'
Old Posted: 26-09-2008 , 05:48 PM #12
bluecurlygirl

Default Done deal!

Livin life to the full indeed. You're an inspiration. PM me your address and I'll get one done up for you shortly and send it on. Actually I've about 70 cards left over from Christmas last year that I didn't get round to selling so I could email you some photos of them & you could see if any of those suit. Alternatively let me know what kind of person your sis is and I could see if I can make one just to suit her.
Old Posted: 26-09-2008 , 08:07 PM #13
Jenc

Sorry saw this and such a brilliant post, UnaPam I wish I had your energy for just one day and I'd get so much done. We're making pressies this year too instead of shop bought, I know I'm getting jam and chutney from my sister and my nieces and newphews are making me "pasta pictures" (uncooked of course) for my kitchen and I'm making candles for all my family. (made from old candles I don't like melted down and remoulded).

A great wrapping paper idea is newspaper! Sounds boring and not very Christmasie but I got a present before wrapped in newspaper and it looked cool. Music sheets also looks cool and also you can make your own paper. pretty easy to do but quite time/space consuming as you have to dry it out flat.
Jenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-09-2008 , 08:35 PM #14
unapam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenc
Sorry saw this and such a brilliant post, UnaPam I wish I had your energy for just one day and I'd get so much done. We're making pressies this year too instead of shop bought, I know I'm getting jam and chutney from my sister and my nieces and newphews are making me "pasta pictures" (uncooked of course) for my kitchen and I'm making candles for all my family. (made from old candles I don't like melted down and remoulded).

A great wrapping paper idea is newspaper! Sounds boring and not very Christmasie but I got a present before wrapped in newspaper and it looked cool. Music sheets also looks cool and also you can make your own paper. pretty easy to do but quite time/space consuming as you have to dry it out flat.

I have seen the pink Financial Times used as wrapping paper with a black bow and it looks great! I have used old music sheets for wrapping and it works really well too. Great ideas you have for pressies!
Old Posted: 27-09-2008 , 09:17 AM #15
biker chick

Great ideas guys...my 5yr old is extreemly arty crafty & is forever cutting glueing & painting & whenever its one of her school friends birthdays she get busy making their personal birthday cards as the ones in the shops are soooo expensive especially since there are 23 birthday parties a year for her to attend to & her friends love them that some of them also make their own cards now.....with christmas not far away she gets busy with family members & friends rounding up all different bits of paper,magazines(which she cuts out different bits & pieces to put on to her cards)old buttons,wool & anything that she thinks would look nice on her cards & everyone loves them .....
biker chick is offline   Reply With Quote