JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 17-07-2009 , 08:08 PM #16
keno

i WAS TOLD BY MY VET ,ONLY USE HOUSEHOLD BLEACH TO WASH DOWN A YARD. NOTHING ELSE AS ITS TOO DANGEROUS FOR DOGS. I NORMALLY DO IT LAST THING AT NIGHT AND THEN ITS CLEAN FOR WHEN DOGS GO OUT IN THE MORNING.
keno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-07-2009 , 09:09 PM #17
kiwicooke

Would jeys fluid work with the cleaning? we used it even in our old house before we were getting a dog because previous tenent had a cat and we were afriad of the dog getting parvo virus. Worked well.
kiwicooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-07-2009 , 09:48 PM #18
summersun

Oh My God... Minnie Pal and User Friendly..... I think you will both hang me when you discover how i kill ... oops sorry dispose of these pests... My beloved plants are infested with GIANT SLUGS..... and i mean giant.... they can demolish my treasures plants in a matter of nights....

I wont be very graffic... but it involves a skewer.... a roaring chimena and the sound of sizzling and popping ... call it the revenge of the plant owner.... thus is far far better than salt... as there is no gooey disgusting slime much to clean up after.....

sorry user friendly.... but i go all the way to Waterford and Wexford once a year for my beloved plants that i cant get in frosty Monaghan.... so i cant have them killed off by slugs before the frost does....

Rainy
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-07-2009 , 10:12 PM #19
User_Friendly

Default I have an idea

Hi SummerSun

I have an idea that might work and that just might give you a little tickle in the right place! Why not get an industrial type gas blow torch and sizzle and pop the little blighters while they're actually on your plants. I'm sure that you would be more than happy to see the little buggers get incinerated and sent to sluggy heaven. But you'd want to careful else you might singe the delicate leaves on your precous plants.

Why not send a few of those plants to people who have a slug problem? If the sluggies like your plants so much wouldn't they all climb on board the plant. Then you could just throw the whole lot into the fire plant and all!
User_Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-07-2009 , 10:37 PM #20
summersun

Ha... User friendly .... if i didnt know better.... i would swear that you were my husband.... your comments mirror his exactly.... the only thing that you forgot to say was ... if the slugs managed to eat all my plants ... it would cut down on the amount of water i waste on them....

I love the pyromania bit... but i have heavy duty safety surface out the back for the kiddies ... and i dont want to end up in the local paper under the heading "Mad Woman burns down house trying to irradicate slugs..."

SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Friendly
Hi SummerSun

I have an idea that might work and that just might give you a little tickle in the right place! Why not get an industrial type gas blow torch and sizzle and pop the little blighters while they're actually on your plants. I'm sure that you would be more than happy to see the little buggers get incinerated and sent to sluggy heaven. But you'd want to careful else you might singe the delicate leaves on your precous plants.

Why not send a few of those plants to people who have a slug problem? If the sluggies like your plants so much wouldn't they all climb on board the plant. Then you could just throw the whole lot into the fire plant and all!
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-07-2009 , 11:35 AM #21
TattooRach!

The beer trick works wonders. But my mother's found that the only one that worked was with Smithwicks... God only knows how any years it took her to come to that conclusion but it stops them eating my lilies :)
TattooRach! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-07-2009 , 02:57 PM #22
minnie pal

Default Brains then!

they must have brains then if they can be so choosey!!!
xxminnie pal.
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-07-2009 , 11:32 PM #23
minnie pal

Default bleach tomorrow

Seriously worried now about my chis, so its to be a bleach scrubbing day tomorrow, er, is that thick bleach or just thin bleach, daft question this seems, and although i have not drunk in over 30yrs - yes, that long, I will have to succumb to smithwicks. God i loved smithwicks, but due to meds aint allowed anymore!
xminnie pal.
Old Posted: 19-07-2009 , 12:27 AM #24
keno

any bleach will do , just don't use jeyes fluid
keno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-07-2009 , 09:48 AM #25
sparkwell

Default Slugs in yard

If you know someone with a powerhose you could ask them to give the yard a good cleaning for you as it does a really good job and I think you can add bleach to the resevoir too

Sparkwell
sparkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-07-2009 , 12:00 AM #26
minnie pal

Default slugs in kitchen and breedin!

saw a slug half under the washing machine, managed to scup it up and throw it into ivy out back.
there was a 'baby' with this one but i coudnt get it, too fast as a slug tail disappeared under the bloody machine.
I seem to have a leak from latest plumb dumb job here.
xminnie pal
Old Posted: 03-08-2009 , 09:58 PM #27
minnie pal

Default treat me kindly on this one!

Anyone try a pet hedgehog? seriously. I love the idea now.
would my chis eat it or the hedgehog spike the eyes out of them?
No grief now friends, as in hundreds of fake floor boards on another post.
this is all very serious stuff we are contemplating here, as in saving the planet etc.
and my chis from slugs and the slugs from skewers!
minnie pal
mind you being eaten by a hedgehog is a slower roasting then a skewer, if i were a slug i'd think so anyway.
the yard too is Alcathraz or whatever way you spell that, he/she would never get out, and the drainage hole is so small all that can come and go are - you guessed, the slugs, oh i forgot, the rain!
Old Posted: 03-08-2009 , 10:54 PM #28
osberstown

Default Slugs

There is,as I speak,ongoing research into the beneficial qualities of slug slime!I kid you not!Supposed to have some of that anti-aging bio whatsitsface in it.Personally,being the complete macho, I would not know.
What will work is shredded copper wire-the kind you get in ordinary appliances-simply strip the insulation and cut the resultant bare copper into 1/2 inch long bits. Spread liberally around all veg or flower plants. Works a treat.
Gives the slimeys an electric shock I think;but it does work.
God I need to get out more!
osberstown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-01-2010 , 08:26 PM #29
Didier

Default Slugs

I havent read all this thread so i dont know if anybody suggested this yet but slugs dont like ash!

If you light a fire put take the ash and put it down around a flower bed and they dont cross it,

make sure theres no slugs already inside the ash box or rectangle youve put down around your plants or flowers!
Didier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-01-2010 , 10:57 PM #30
dee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier
I havent read all this thread so i dont know if anybody suggested this yet but slugs dont like ash!

If you light a fire put take the ash and put it down around a flower bed and they dont cross it,

make sure theres no slugs already inside the ash box or rectangle youve put down around your plants or flowers!

but dont you get nettles???
dee1 is offline   Reply With Quote